RDA July 2020 OAB call

RDA OAB July 2020 call

Open to all Organisational Members

Tuesday 21 July 2020, 12:00-13:00 UTC

Draft minutes

  1. Roll call and introduction of new members, Kevin-Rebecca, co-Chair, 5'
  2. Agenda approval - Call for any other business items - Kevin-Rebecca, 5' For approval
    • Approved.
  3. Approval of minutes from previous OAB meetings -  Kevin-Rebecca, 5'
  4. Short presentations of RDA recommendations/outputs
    • Summary presentation of Covid-19 outputs - Mark Leggott, 15' - Presentation
      • Final version published 30 June: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-covid19-rda-covid19-omics-rda-covid19-epidemiology-rda-covid19-clinical-rda-covid19-1  
        • Highlights from the presentation:
          • While focused on Covid19, many of the high-level recommendations are relevant for any infectious disease outbreak. So it can apply more broadly.
          • The work is the fruit of the labour of over 165 active contributors and overall we have approx 600 individuals signed up across the 7 Working groups. 
          • This is the final release and the previous 5 versions have all been open for public comment for varying periods between 1 and 2 weeks. (see  for releases and comments submitted via RfC - we received many others via email. Natalie chaired the editorial team.
          • Some guidelines are detailed, e.g. omics.
          • Additional tools:
            • Zetero tool to manage all the diverse and many resources. Zetero DB is public.
            • DSWizard Knowledge Model: interesting tool. Extracting info and inserting it to DSWizard. And create a custom version of the guidelines, focused and shorter for some specific area. A version for comments within the next 2 weeks.
            • Journal and ohter articles being worked out, including one in Science.
            • Series of endorsements.
            • Future work ? Version 2 ? Possibly broader efforts such as infectious disease group; collaboraiton with CODATA, GoFAIR and WDS.
          • Joint statement of STM and RDA.
        • Kevin: Real tribute for those who worked and made this possible!
        • A few things to highlight:
    •  Next presentations
      • ​​​​​​Rebecca created a survey to determine in which recommendations and outputs you are mostly interested to be presented in the next meetings: https://bit.ly/RDA_outputs.
        • Select up to 5 choices.  If you don't see something that you are interested in, the last question can be used to type in your request.
        • The legend for the abbreviation after each item is: Endorsed Recommendations: ER, Supporting Output: SO, Supporting Outputs under Review: SOR, Recommendations under Endorsement Review: RER
        • Action all OA members: fill in the survey at https://bit.ly/RDA_outputs to decide on the next short presentation for September. 
  5. RDA Requests for Comments - Proposed Recommendations and new groups, 10'
  6. Updates from Secretary General, Council, and TAB, 15'
    • Secretary General, Hilary Hanahoe - Presentation and Written report
      • See details in the attached documents. Only actions are included below. 
        • Action OA members: If there are organizational members in a position to identify scientific journals who would publish an article on the RDA value for Covid, publish a policy news article to discuss the impact of the document, or a research article to provide a reader for the publication (which is written for multiple audiences), please contact me at hilary.hanahoe@rda-foundation.org. Also whether there are visibility opportunities on this or if you would like us to make a presentation to your colleagues, organise a webinar, etc.
        • Action OA members: If your organisation would like to endorse the TRUST principles, please send an email to enquiries@rd-alliance.org, with the name, surname and email of the contact person as well as your organisation’s logo to be used on the endorsement page.  ​​​​​​
        • Question: How was the Data Together collaboration established? 
          • SG: There are areas where there is common ground and complementatiry and already there are on-going activites working together (like IDW, Symposium and also Covid-Vodan, International Science Council program, RDA Europe and EOSC international community, also some in view of RDA strategic plan). We haven’t had a call with the steering group for a while the next in September.
    • TAB update, Andrew Treloar (the item was presented first in the agenda)
      • Reminder for P16 session proposals – Deadline 4th of August. Encourage people to look and submit.
        •  
      • Reminder for TAB elections – Nomination period open. Urge you to encourage nominations. If they have questions, they can talk to talk to Andrew, Isabelle, or TAB members (Andrew standing down end of the year). Nominations deadline is Oct 1: https://www.rd-alliance.org/call-tab-nominations-2020
      • Reflection on the WGs that TAB is currently reviewing: strack that the word FAIR is dominant in most of the recent groups. How do we treat RDA and the FAIR agenda, with more and more FAIR themes coming up? Is RDA a good location for the FAIR themes. How is GoFAIR considered around the world? Raise this as metaissue and think about this connection: FAIRworld and FAIRground.
        • Amy: Yes, RDA a good location for FAIR topics: "Come to RDA for your FAIR needs and combine with other work".
        • Shelley: Yes, as a way and place to go beyond FAIR. Do we need to map the landscape of FAIR?
        • Amy: Researchers know what FAIR is, but only in human intepretable ways, not the GOfair meaning of FAIR
        • Kevin: Agree catchy slogan. Much beyond GoFAIR.
        • Natalie: I am involved in FAIR, but not in GoFAIR. The Health people in Ireland are involved in GoFAIR. FAIR is the sexy hot topic of the day!
        • Rob: Agree, high-level concept, instead of the details to implement FAIR.
        • Juan: Yes, in EOSC it is used at high level, like the open in Open Science. Not really linked with GoFAIR.
        • Shelley: Full implementation of FAIR is slow, going beyond the 4 letters concept.
        • Andrew: Ok, RDA seems to be a good home of FAIR activities then!
        • Rebecca: In the GeoSciences it is the informatics people more interested in FAIR. FAIR is big in the data stewardship community.
        • Shelley: We are aligned with GoFAIR and GoFAIR didn’t get funding from the US. There is a GoFAIR US office: Christine Kilpin atrick California. 
        • Amy: In the US FAIR is not seen together with GoFAIR. It is just a good acronym. And RDA is a good place for discussions. I was in an bio event and FAIR was mentioned all the time, while this was not the case with GoFAIR.
        • Matthias: "FAIR" is one of basic expectations in many EU- and German calls - this makes FAIR important to RDA.
        • Natalie: Agree with Kevin, FAIR is not owned by any fraction, but I do think there are little fiefdoms!
    • Council update, Kevin/Rebecca
      • Points covered already in Hilary's report:
      • There was a Council meeting in June, where there were discussions on defining the RDA strategic plan 2020 – 2023 and we will be inviting the OA to provide feedback on the draft plan in October 2020 (with community presentation and consultation planned for November).
      • Next Council meetings in September and October. 
  7. Next OAB meetings, 5'
    • Decision: Monthly meetings will take place, which will be batch scheduled for the next 4-6 months checking the availability of at least one of the co-Chairs and Secretariat. 
    • Next meetings:
      • Thursday 3 September 21:00 UTC - Draft agenda (to be prepared in due time)
      • Action Bridget with co-Chairs: Schedule meeting in October.
  8. Decisions/Open actions from previous meeting(s), 5'
    • June:
      • Action Rebecca: Make a list of the Adoption week sessions and check which ones OA members are mostly interested in for a short presentation in the next OAB meeting - Done. Survey still open.
      • Action OA members: encourage good candidates for TAB to be nominated for next elections and bring them in touch with Andrew and Isabell -on-going. 
    • Previous meetings:
      • Action: include the sustainability item in the agendas for the next meetings - For September.
      • Action: OA members to consider volunteering for an OAB "test drive" - Open.
      • Communities of Practice (a new type of group presented in the May meeting) - On-going efforts. Proposal to be presented soon.
      • Decision: The OAB can accept guests to present specific topics on demand. Regarding the interaction with the regions and the RA/RAB, when these are constituted, the OAB will discuss how to interact with them.
  9. Any other Business, 5'
    • ​​​​​​​None. 

 

RDA OAB July 2020 call

Open to all Organisational Members

Tuesday 21 July 2020, 12:00-13:00 UTC

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509

Original agenda

 

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 05:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Albuquerque (USA - New Mexico) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 06:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Boston (USA - Massachusetts) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 08:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Edinburgh (United Kingdom - Scotland) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 13:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 13:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 14:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Rome (Italy) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 14:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Helsinki (Finland) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 15:00:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Athens (Greece) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 15:00:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 15:00:00 AST UTC+3 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 22:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington) Wednesday, 22 July 2020, 00:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 12:00:00    

 

  1. Roll call and introduction of new members, Kevin-Rebecca, co-Chair, 5'
  2. Agenda approval - Call for any other business items - Kevin-Rebecca, 5' For approval
  3. Approval of minutes from previous OAB meetings -  Kevin-Rebecca, 5'
  4. Short presentations of RDA recommendations/outputs
    • Summary presentation of Covid-19 outputs - Mark Leggott, 15' 
    •  Next presentations
      • ​​​​​​Rebecca created a survey to determine in which recommendations and outputs you are mostly interested to be presented in the next meetings: https://bit.ly/RDA_outputs.
        • Select up to 5 choices.  If you don't see something that you are interested in, the last question can be used to type in your request.
        • The legend for the abbreviation after each item is: Endorsed Recommendations: ER, Supporting Output: SO, Supporting Outputs under Review: SOR, Recommendations under Endorsement Review: RER
  5. RDA Requests for Comments - Proposed Recommendations and new groups, 10'
  6. Updates from Secretary General, Council, and TAB, 15'
    • Secretary General, Hilary Hanahoe.
    • TAB update, Andrew Treloar
    • Council update, Kevin/Rebecca
  7. Next OAB meetings, 5'
    • Decision: Monthly meetings will take place, which will be batch scheduled for the next 4-6 months checking the availability of at least one of the co-Chairs and Secretariat. 
    • Next meetings:
      • Thursday 3 September 21:00 UTC - Draft agenda (to be prepared in due time)
      • Schedule meeting in September, Action Fotis-Bridget with co-Chairs
  8. Decisions/Open actions from previous meeting(s), 5'
    • June:
      • Action Rebecca: Make a list of the Adoption week sessions and check which ones OA members are mostly interested in for a short presentation in the next OAB meeting.
      • Action OA members: encourage good candidates for TAB to be nominated for next elections and bring them in touch with Andrew and Isabell
    • Previous meetings:
      • Action: include the sustainability item in the agendas for the next meetings - For September?
      • Action: OA members to consider volunteering for an OAB "test drive".
      • Communities of Practice (a new type of group presented in the May meeting)
      • Decision: The OAB can accept guests to present specific topics on demand. Regarding the interaction with the regions and the RA/RAB, when these are constituted, the OAB will discuss how to interact with them.
  9. Any other Business, 5'
UTC
Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.
Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer.