Pre-P15 RDA Organisational Assembly call

Pre-P15 RDA Organisational Assembly meeting

(mainly for those who cannot attend P15, but all OA members are welcome)

Monday 9 March 2020, 14:00-15:30 UTC(14:00-15:30 UTC)

Draft minutes

Chair: Kevin Ashley

  1. Roll call and introduction of new members, Kevin, co-Chair, 5'
  2. Agenda approval - Call for any other business items - For approval
    • No comments. Approved.
  3. Approval of minutes from previous OAB meeting -  For approval
    • Draft Helsinki OA minutes
      • Approved.
    • Decision/Actions review:
      • All closed besides: 
      • Action on the OAB sub-group: Amy, Shelley, Tuomas, Kevin to work on a draft paper on the RDA OA membership fees and review Task Force output (on all types of memberships) (if available).
        • This is in the agenda, to be covered later.
  4. Standing item - Exclusive benefits for OA members
    • 1. Job application services exclusive for OA membres  
    • 2. Early-bird registration available for OA members until the plenary (via Bridget Walker, e-mail: bridget.walker \at/ rda-foundation.org)
    • 3. Cocktail during plenaries for OA and governance bodies
      • Comments:
        • Amy: talked to non-members about no 1 who found it as a benefit, but have not joined yet.
        • Kevin/Raphael: appreciate no2 also, especially in cases such as this one with some uncertainties.
  5. Updates from Secretary General, Council and TAB, 30' - For information
    • Secretary General, Hilary Hanahoe, RDA Status update, 15'
      • Annual updates
      • Regional Assembly (RA) and Regional Advisory Board (RAB)
        • First f2f meeting opportunities in Melbourne. Two bodies, very similar to the Organisational ones, the RA and RAB:
          • The Regional Assembly. Composed of members who already support RDA but also of representatives of countries (with a national/regional mandate) interested to join.
          • The RAB will be composed from the paying member, currently 4 (Australia, EU, France, USA). Nominated representatives from RAB will be able to join the Council.
      • Individual Membership: 10.000 members reached!
        • Just reached 10.000 members! Great milestone after 7 years. The member who joined is from the University Library of South Denmark. He got a surprise banner and a complementary registration for Costa Rica (offered by the RDA Foundation), if he chooses to accept it. 
      • Future plans on support from secretariat /OA(B) support
        • EU has been supporting RDA for many years via EC grants. There have been 4 grants up to now with considerable funding for RDA including in-kind support with staff. This changes after the end of May 2020, as no dedicated grant will be available. From 1st of June OA/OAB support will transit to Bridget Walker who will be responsible for all governance bodies. Fotis has kindly offered to continue to support OA/OAB on his own time, but Bridget will be taking up also Gov bodies. We are discussing with Fotis to use his offer in other areas. Fotis has been working in handing over the OA/OAB to Bridget. Although may not be the last meeting before May, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Fotis for his work for many years now in the OA! Thanks also from OA members! Fotis: Thanks a lot! 
      • Plenaries
        • Plenary 15: Although we had some cancellations due to the COVID-19 virus siuation, we hope that we go ahead and have this opportunity to interact with local community. We have now around 400 registrations, many who are local. Secretariat has also put an interesting session on RDA outputs and adoption. Remote organization would be difficult, but we will be recording it. Special focus on indigenous data.
        • Plenary 16: Date/location: 10-12 November, San Jose, Costa Rica. Costa Rica convention centre. After 20th of March we will have the timelines.
        • Plenary 17: Edinburgh, mid/late April 2021, almost there with the dates, hosted by UK DCC.
        • Plenary 18: Part of the International Data Week (IDW): The dates are 8-11 November 2021 in Seoul, South Korea. 
        • Plenaries and remote participation will be discussed at the Council f2f meeting in June.
      • Thank you to Amy for her work as co-Chair: Hilary: I would like to thank Amy for her work as co-Chair; we will miss as co-Chair and also from the Council meetings. All: thanks to Amy. Amy: Thanks a lot! I have been enjoying this role! Will stay as an OA member, so I wil lbe around! 
      • Questions/Comments:
        • Raphael: More information on the EU changes?
          • Hilary: 1. A legal entity is being setup in Belgium (also due to Brexit) that can support the community. How to interact with other entities including RDA Global yet to be defined. Next week to have some first discussions. RDA-Europe 4 is also working on a report on sustainability plans, including the plans for a big number of national nodes, as RDA Europe 4 is structured in this way. There is a draft plan already but the devil is in the details. 2. In terms of funding: there is a gap which will be partly covered by a European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) co-creation fund, to be awarded to the new legal entity in Belgium. And then there is an EOSC grant call that includes RDA support, and this encompasses support RDA EU experts in participating in RDA and also RDA-related work for EOSC. This funding will start in January 2021 and it is a considerable amount compared to the interim solution for this year (after May). I am acting as the main negotiator for this grant. The RDA Europe legal entity will hire a director at some point later.
        • Kevin: By the end of this week, Australia will update its list of countries from which entrance to the country is not allowed. So, this complicate access to Australia. Hilary: A message going out on this, following the rules from the Victoria government. Most probably this will come at the end of this week (the 14th), where some people will be on their way. But we have to live with this situation.  
        • Stefan: In your report it is mentioned that 3 Organisational Members discontinued. Did you get any reasons for this?
          • Hilary: Yes, this happens from time to time. It is mainlyy financial reasons or change of strategy.
          • Kevin: We are trying to find the reasons. In some cases the reality is that the support is mainly due to a single person who is enthusiastic about RDA from the specific organisation; when this person moves on, then enthusiasm is discontinued.
    • TAB update, N/A
      • Not available for this meeting.
    • Council update: RDA Strategy and current priorities, 10' - OAB co-Chairs
      • Updates to also cover:
        • Finance subcommittee status (related to RDA sustainability)
          • Kevin: There is a small group of Council working on ensuring proper financial management: with Hilary, Bridget and STFC financial support (Nima). Not much to report. Working very effectively. Main themes recently were around Brexit and the new legal entity in Brussels.
        • Regional engagement status
          • Covered above. 
        • Council elections:
          • Council elections next week: Nominations committee came up with the new slate to replace Edit Herczog, Sandra Collins and Kay Raseroka. Kay completing her 2nd term, so she cannot continue. Edit, Sandra can be relected. The slate has been prepared and is now public: Edit, Sandra, and new candidate from Africa/Botswana (Joyce).
  6. Organisational Assembly projects
  7. Update from Membership Task Force - Kevin-Hilary
    • Recap from last meeting
      • Update from Council Membership Task Force
      • Decision from last meeting: OA sub-group to work on a statement on membership fees (OA and others). The statement can be a short paper with observations and recommendations.   
      • Open action on the OAB sub-group: Amy, Shelley, Tuomas, Kevin to work on a draft paper and review Task Force output.
      • Kevin: Let's discuss this point further in Australia. 
      • Hilary: Regarding the Council Task Force, there is a delay in sending the survey out to a targeted subset of 350 members (random with geo/gender criteria).
  8. OAB elections update - Kevin-Fotis
    • The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry.
    • The new OAB continues to have 7 members + 1 observer member from Industry (Joost).
    • Members:
      • Amy Nurnberger (also co-Chair), re-elected in March 2020 (term ending in 2022) - Re-elected.
      • Raphael Ritz, re-elected in March 2020 (term ending in 2022) - Re-electied.
      • Juan Bicarregui, after his co-Chairmanship, re-elected in March 2019 (term ending in 2021)
      • Kevin Ashley (also co-Chair), elected in March 2019 (term ending in 2021)
      • Rebecca Koskela, elected in March 2019 (term ending in March 2021)
      • Shelley Stall, elected in March 2019 (term ending in March 2021)
      • Tuomas J. Alaterä, elected in March 2019 (term ending March 2021)
    •  Observer (from Industry)
      • Joost Wagenaar
    • Co-Chairs:
      • Amy Nurnberger, term ending at P15. Elections to be held among OAB members in Melbourne. Amy is not standing for re-election. 
        • Kevin: There is a candidate to replace Amy. To be discussed in Melbourne. 
      • Kevin Ashley, term ending in 2021 (P17 in Edinburgh).
    • In summary:
      • Active members: 7 (+1 observer from industry)
      • 3 seats empty - Candidates are welcome to nominate for a "test-drive"until the P16.
      • There are also two seats reserved for industry (currently we have only observers).
    • Notes
      • According to the OA process document there is no limit on re-elections.
      • “The OAB co-chair elections are held immediately after the OAB elections with voting by the new OAB members”. The second co-Chair will thus be elected among the new OAB, at the private OAB lunch meeting in Melbourne.
      • The OAB has a very important role within RDA; all organisational representatives are strongly encouraged to consider offering themselves for nomination or to actively promote the nomination of a fellow organisational representative.
    • Comments:
      • Kevin: may need to discuss whether we need revisit some of the rules (e.g. OAB rotation may be needed for co-Chairs). Amy: Yes. Take a view on this.
      • Christophe: Re. the OA, it’s up to members to nominate their representatives, especially given that there may be an enthusiast as you said. So totation in this case (OA) not meaningful. For OAB it can be discussed.
  9. Next meetings
    • P15 - Melbourne, Tuesday 17 March 2020
      • OAB private lunch (only for OAB members) - 12:00-13:00
      • Organisational Assembly (open for all OA members present, plus for new ones interested to join) - 15:00-17:00, Room 112.
      • Next meetings: Discuss in Melbourne about a plan for next meetings. 
  10. AoB
  • Fotis: The OA meeting next Tuesday clashes with the TAB-Chairs meeting, so Andrew promised to work on a TAB written report with Isabelle. Fotis to loop Kevin and Bridget on this thread to take it from there. Of course, if Andrew or Isabelle can go out for 10 minutes to make the report this is more than welcome!

Draft agenda

Timezones and connection details: 

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509
For dial-in options or the mobile app see at the bottom of the page. 
 
San Diego (USA - California) Monday, 9 March 2020, 07:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Monday, 9 March 2020, 08:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Philadelphia (USA - Pennsylvania) Monday, 9 March 2020, 10:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Monday, 9 March 2020, 11:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Monday, 9 March 2020, 14:00:00 GMT UTC
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Monday, 9 March 2020, 15:00:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Monday, 9 March 2020, 16:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Monday, 9 March 2020, 23:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Tuesday, 10 March 2020, 01:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington) Tuesday, 10 March 2020, 03:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Medina (Saudi Arabia) Monday, 9 March 2020, 17:00:00 AST UTC+3 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Monday, 9 March 2020, 14:00:00

 

Objectives of the meeting:

The Organisational Assembly (OA) is the main body through which organisations can influence the work of RDA.  The OA is composed of representatives of all RDA Member Organisations (Organisational and Affiliate Members). Organisational membership gives organisations a chance to introduce real problems in data interoperability and to call for those issues to be addressed.  OA membership gives organisations a chance for early access to RDA outcomes and a pre-publication opportunity to review outcomes and provide feedback on their utility. The OA has elected an Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) as its executive committee to represent the OA and liaise with the other governance bodies. Although this session is primarily for the members of the Organisational Assembly, representatives of any organisation interested in RDA to explore organisational membership and to gain a sense of the important work accomplished by the OA can be allowed.  Please contact the co-Chairs and the RDA secretariat at enquiries@rd-alliance.org to join us to learn how your organisation can make a difference and can receive real value through associations with RDA. In this meeting some of the main topics of the meeting besides the reports from the RDA Governance will be the new OAB, plans for the co-chair elections in Melbourne, RDA membership review activities follow-up, and future support of OA-OAB.

 

Chair: Kevin Ashley

  1. Roll call and introduction of new members, Kevin, co-Chair, 5'
  2. Agenda approval - Call for any other business items - For approval
    •  
  3. Approval of minutes from previous OAB meeting -  For approval
  4. Standing item - Exclusive benefits for OA members
    • 1. Job application services exclusive for OA membres  
    • 2. Early-bird registration available for OA members until the plenary (via Bridget Walker, e-mail: bridget.walker \at/ rda-foundation.org)
    • 3. Cocktail during plenaries for OA and governance bodies
  5. Updates from Secretary General, Council and TAB, 30' - For information
    • Secretary General, Hilary Hanahoe, RDA Status update, 15'
    • TAB update, N/A
    • Council update: RDA Strategy and current priorities, 10' - OAB co-Chairs
      • Updates to also cover:
        • Finance subcommittee status (related to RDA sustainability)
        • Regional engagement status
  6. Organisational Assembly projects
  7. Update from Membership Task Force - Kevin-Hilary
    • Recap from last meeting
      • Update from Council Membership Task Force
      • Decision from last meeting: OA sub-group to work on a statement on membership fees (OA and others). The statement can be a short paper with observations and recommendations.   
      • Open action on the OAB sub-group: Amy, Shelley, Tuomas, Kevin to work on a draft paper and review Task Force output.
  8. OAB elections update - Kevin-Fotis
    • The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry.
    • The new OAB continues to have 7 members + 1 observer member from Industry (Joost).
    • Members:
      • Amy Nurnberger (also co-Chair), re-elected in March 2020 (term ending in 2022) - Re-elected.
      • Raphael Ritz, re-elected in March 2020 (term ending in 2022) - Re-electied.
      • Juan Bicarregui, after his co-Chairmanship, re-elected in March 2019 (term ending in 2021)
      • Kevin Ashley (also co-Chair), elected in March 2019 (term ending in 2021)
      • Rebecca Koskela, elected in March 2019 (term ending in March 2021)
      • Shelley Stall, elected in March 2019 (term ending in March 2021)
      • Tuomas J. Alaterä, elected in March 2019 (term ending March 2021)
    •  Observer (from Industry)
      • Joost Wagenaar
    • Co-Chairs:
      • Amy Nurnberger, term ending at P15. Elections to be held among OAB members in Melbourne. Amy is not standing for re-election. 
      • Kevin Ashley, term ending in 2021 (P17 in Edinburgh).
    • In summary:
      • Active members: 7 (+1 observer from industry)
      • 3 seats empty - Candidates are welcome to nominate for a "test-drive"until the P16.
      • There are also two seats reserved for industry (currently we have only observers).
    • Notes
      • According to the OA process document there is no limit on re-elections.
      • “The OAB co-chair elections are held immediately after the OAB elections with voting by the new OAB members”. The second co-Chair will thus be elected among the new OAB, at the private OAB lunch meeting in Melbourne.
      • The OAB has a very important role within RDA; all organisational representatives are strongly encouraged to consider offering themselves for nomination or to actively promote the nomination of a fellow organisational representative.
  9. Next meetings
    • P15 - Melbourne, Tuesday 17 March 2020
      • OAB private lunch (only for OAB members) - 12:00-13:00
      • Organisational Assembly (open for all OA members present, plus for new ones interested to join) - 15:00-17:00, Room 112.
      • Next meetings? Discuss in Melbourne. 
  10. AoB
  • Decisions/Actions from previous meeting
    • All closed besides: 
    • Action on the OAB sub-group: Amy, Shelley, Tuomas, Kevin to work on a draft paper on the RDA OA membership fees and review Task Force output (on all types of memberships) (if available)

You can also dial in using your phone.

United States: +1 (571) 317-3129
Access Code: 410-329-509

More phone numbers
Australia: +61 2 9087 3604
Austria: +43 7 2081 5427
Belgium: +32 28 93 7018
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82
Finland: +358 923 17 0568
France: +33 170 950 594
Germany: +49 692 5736 7317
Ireland: +353 15 360 728
Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01
Netherlands: +31 207 941 377
New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302
Norway: +47 21 93 37 51
Spain: +34 932 75 2004
Sweden: +46 853 527 827
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78
United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088

New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts:
https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/410329509