OA(B) September 2019 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

September 2019 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Thursday 4 September 2019, 21:00 UTC

Draft minutes

  1. Roll call & introduction of new members
    • Kevin Ashley chaired the meeting.
    • Present: Kevin Ashley (Chair), Stefan Kramer, Tuomas J. Alatera, Shelley Stall, Raphael Ritz, Frankie Stevens, Hilary Hanahoe (Secretary General), Fotis Karayannis (RDA Secretariat).
    • Approval to record meeting - Approved.
    • Introdcution of first-time attendees and recent Organisational Members representatives
    • Standing items:
    • Reminder for all members to check and update their logos, representatives and web descriptions (some are still missing).
    • The RDA Newsletter wants to highlight *your* organisation! Tell your RDA story today - contact enquiries@rd-alliance.org or Fotis.
      • AARnet queued for October 2019
    • Does your organisation have a new area of expertise or interest? Update your profile here to receive targeted invitations to comment on new proposals: https://www.rd-alliance.org/survey-record-oa-members-expertise
      • Action items - see at the end (will review as we come to them in the agenda)
    • Agenda approval - Approved and call for any other business items (AoB)
      • Andrew: News about P15 and the now confirmed venue.
  2. Approval of minutes from previous two meetings - Approved.
  3. Status of document on value of RDA to infrastructure providers 
    • On-line doc link
    • This document has been open for comment, has met with approval (in the last meeting) and was sent to Council.
    • Updates:
      • Kevin: The document was approved in the last meeting. It is now by Council. 
      • Hilary: Yes, the document is being commented by Council. Any comments will be sent back to the authors (Andrew and Frankie). Will be ready and published this month.
  4. Plenary pathways document - Andrew Treloar
    • Draft plenary pathways document for P14 https://docs.google.com/document/d/13lzAsr-AXbN0hCQrde_cgi62KVTaVweofBLl3-0BDbU/edit#heading=h.ul3e8wxyxo91
    • Current status: Report from Andrew
      • Andrew: As decided in previous meetings, the same pathways were reused. Grouped the sessions as presented in the document. Two main questions:  
        • Question 1: Do we want to list the Developing Nations pathway?
          • Decision/Action Andrew: Keep the Developing Nations pathway for a couple of more plenaries and re-assess it after that. In the final version do not show the empty sessions. 
          • Discussion:
          • Tuomas: Nation vs. developing nation? Andrew: The developing national came from the Botswana plenary. But now not too much emphasis. We can drop it.
          • Kevin: It may worth keeping it for a couple of more plenaries, to give some visibility and see how it goes.
          • Stefan: In favour of keeping it. Not show the empty ones.
          • Tuomas: From my IASSIST conferences experience, as the pathway appears now, it may be isolated. Kevin: Pathways are another way of presenting the overall program. Not such a risk. .
          • Andrew: In the Australian plenary (P15), the pathway may be better populated, as there will be dissemination in the areas of the Pacific.
          • Consider the word indigenous?
          • Andrew: In Botswana the title Developing nations felt a bit inappropriate and Global South was proposed instead as more politically correct. Consider something similar? Better not as it may not be clear enough for others.   
          • Decision/Action: Keep the Developing Nations pathway for a couple of more plenaries and re-assess it after that. In the final version do not show the empty sessions.
          • Another round of comments not needed. Just publish it.
        • Question 2: Do we want to add another pathway? We don’t cover technical issues (beyond those in the existing pathways) nor do we have anything on human/skills issues. However we have 5 pathways where each slot has around 8 sessions, so we have fairly good coverage.
          • Decision/Action Andrew: Review the pathways by the end of the week, adding "Human/Skills" and possibly "Technical", with the assumption that a session can belong to more than one pathway. Then liaise with Secretariat for publication (another round of comments is not needed).  
            • Discussion:
            • Andrew: Some sessions more focus on technology (e.g. technical stuff not being infrastructure). Also some sessions not having a path.
            • Raphael: Each session only one path? Andrew: Yes. Raphael: You can consider one session beloning in more than one pathway. For example, if we consider Skills, the CODATA summer school can be listed also as Skills (besides Developing Nations). 
            • Andrew: Excellent idea. Human/Skills can be added and Technical also. I will review all of them with this new approach (action).
            • Tuomas: Strongly support Human/Skills because of my background (professional development). With this more complete.
            • Kevin: not too much work for you. Better to announce it early this time. Just add the Human/Skills and not the Technical?
            • Andrew: Will see how this goes. I will do this before of the end of week.
            • All: Another round of comments not needed. Just publish it.
            • Hilary: FAIRsFAIR just mapped a whole series of RDA groups under FAIR.
            • Decision/Action: Review the pathways by the end of the week, adding "Human/Skills" and possibly "Technical", with the assumption that a session can belong to more than one pathway. Then liaise with Secretariat for publication (another round of comments is not needed).    
    • Decisions from previous meeting: 
      • Decision: Start with the same set of pathways for P14. If needed add one or two areas based on the themes
      • Google analytics showed significant use of the pathway pages. Also survey of members was positive (but small sample)
      • Comments raised in the July meeting:
        • Difference between FAIR and Data Management tracks not straightforward. Data Management is one of the ways to approach FAIR.
        • “Professional development/education” can be a potential topic. It could gather content that provides instruction or learning experiences (incl. workplace learning and communities of practice). There are two different interpretations though, i.e. about professional development in general versus RDA plenary contributing to professional development.If the latter not clear pathway.  
  5. Membership taskforce - Kevin Ashley
    • Recap from last meeting: The Membership task force re-examins how RDA works, reviewing all its membership and funding streams. It is part of RDA sustainability planning for the future, recognizing that the way we get support will be changing and has already been changing, e.g. funding from plenaries, regions. The TF specifically deals with what it means to be a member of RDA globally, regionally and as organisations. The TF so far has looked in moderls of other bodies and what charges are applied. Now it will be checked how relevant are these for RDA. And move towards recommendations. The TF will offer also an opnioin on Organisational Membership. This is the role of OA and Kevin's role in the TF. Amongst the questions on Individual and Organisational membership is whether we see ourselves as members of a global organisation which can also interact with a region or more local which will interact with the global (which will be a major shift).
    • It may be considered that OA formulates a view on this.
    • Updates:
      • Kevin: Currently trying to schedule a meeting to take place in the next couple of weeks.Then the proposal will be discussed at the Council meeting on the 20th.  
        • Action Kevin: Send a message to the OA with the news on the Membership Task Force and invite people to comment/discuss.
      • Fotis: It would be useful to send an update to the OA also after the Task Force meeting and before for the Council meeting.
  6. Secretary-general update - Hilary
    • RDA Secretariat update:
      • Lynn Yarmey left RDA for another job. And it was a quick departure. Now working on covering her duties with less resources. There is a candidate to replace Lynn, but not same skills.There may be another departure from secretariat.
    • RDA website:
      • Web maintence happening these days, as you may have seen. Nevertheless, website and group lists have been on-line.
    • Plenary 14
      • The "Outputs and adoption" session was discussed today at the secretariat call. This session took several shapes in the different plenaries. Excited that we will be testing a new approach. A more  thematic approach. The "Building bridges" activities that Andrew is also supporting will be also presented. RDA Europe 4 project has also nominated 12 ambassadors for a series of thematic domains and some of these will be present. So there will be more interactive with short talks and booths. Try to do it this way. Also how the domains fit in the European Open Science CLoud (EOSC) is relevant. May produce some good results for this also.
    • Bi-monthly business newsletter:
      • Bi-monthly business newsletter to present what the governance and support bodies are doing. Fotis-Kevin-Amy contribute from OA(B), highlighting the different activities. TAB and OAB hugely important as volunteer groups and they are highlighted in the newsletter.
    • TAB nominations
      •  Candidates for TAB update. Deadline: 15th of September. OAB members cannot be in TAB, but encourage others in your organisations to join. We need good candidates! Action OA members: To consider proposing other members from their organisations. 
    • Secretary General tour in Australia: 
      • In view of the plenary 15 in Australia, quite intense tour. Trying to connect to SE Asia, Oceania. A lot of work that will come to the surface in the plenary and give visibility. The tour was an excellent opportunity to see the landscape. Plenaries are very challenging events. And pathways are important. Also a checklist for plenaries is being prepared for all participants. We are hoping to get something out also for P14.
    • Early bird registration for P14 available exclusively for OA members until the very end
      • Early bird registration available for Organisational Members until the very end. You would need to contact Bridget (after the early bird closes) and would be given a code. First time we do it. We will do it manually. And get some statistics of whether it was used.
    • Job post advertisements in RDA website as another exclusive benefit for OA members
      • Job post adverts is an exclusive benefit for OA members. Kevin: Promoting/advertising jobs is not easy/cheap. Real benefit. Action Fotis: Include the job post advertisments as a standing agenda item in the future agendas!
  7. Categorization/Clustering of Organisations
    • Update by Kevin: There was an action all by end of July to update your organisation proposed clustering directly in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uBIGUojZLVdcLrrFb0BZ_-EP0AwQmBqbAGcEvtJ-ke8/edit#gid=0 (Note that Area 2 is optional)
    • Status: 14 Organisations have filled it in.
    • Reminder on the scope; Twofold:
      • On one hand give more visibility to OA members (also via a set of updated slides of OA clustered members)
      • On the other hand to promote the types of organisations that become OA members to encourage others in the same category to join the OA! But also to be able to use the outputs and value statements for a specific category. 
    • Decision/Action all OA members: Fill in the Organisations clustering by the end of September. Action Kevin/Secretariat: Send personal messages to OA members with mail merge.
    • Frankie: Switch columns F and G? Kevin: Not sure it is better. 
  8. Actions from last meeting not otherwise dealt with in agenda
    • Actions from last meeting
      • Action all by end of July: Please update your organisation proposed clustering directly in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uBIGUojZLVdcLrrFb0BZ_-EP0AwQmBqbAGcEvtJ-ke8/edit#gid=0 - See above  - See above
      • Action SG/Secretariat: Send the document on the RDA value for infrastructure providers to Council for final approval - Closed (see above)
      • Decision: Start with the same set of pathways for P14. If needed add one or two areas based on the themes. Closed.
      • Action Andrew: Come up with the pathways a couple of weeks after the session announcements. Closed.
      • Action all: Allow one extra week of comments for the Pathways. Closed.
      • Action Hilary: Send more information on the building bridges work. Open - To be sent after the Council meeting.
        • Update from Hilary: This is related to the RDA Vision/Mission, to build the bridges, bringing together the bricks (RDA outputs). There is a draft concept paper from Andrew, Bob and Mark Leggott sent to Council. But more appropriate to share it after the Council meeting. Andrew: Bob and Mark will participate in the Council. The main idea is connecting RDA outputs in more coherent soutions and more relevant to the grand challenges of society.  
    • Open actions from previous meetings:
  9. AOB and next meetings

Draft agenda

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509

(see at the bottom more details for local times, telephone numbers & connection details)

  1. Roll call & introduction of new members
  2. Approval of minutes from previous two meetings - For approval
  3. Status of document on value of RDA to infrastructure providers
    • On-line doc link
    • This document has been open for comment, has met with approval (in the last meeting) and was sent to Council.
  4. Plenary pathways document - Andrew Treloar
    • Draft plenary pathways document for P14 https://docs.google.com/document/d/13lzAsr-AXbN0hCQrde_cgi62KVTaVweofBLl3-0BDbU/edit#heading=h.ul3e8wxyxo91
    • Decision from previous meeting: 
      • Google analytics showed significant use of the pathway pages. Also survey of members was positive (but small sample)
      • Comments raised in the July meeting:
        • Difference between FAIR and Data Management tracks not straightforward. Data Management is one of the ways to approach FAIR.
        • “Professional development/education” can be a potential topic. It could gather content that provides instruction or learning experiences (incl. workplace learning and communities of practice). There are two different interpretations though, i.e. about professional development in general versus RDA plenary contributing to professional development.If the latter not clear pathway.  
      • Current status: Report from Andrew
  5. Membership taskforce - Kevin Ashley
    • Recap from last meeting: The Membership task force re-examins how RDA works, reviewing all its membership and funding streams. It is part of RDA sustainability planning for the future, recognizing that the way we get support will be changing and has already been changing, e.g. funding from plenaries, regions. The TF specifically deals with what it means to be a member of RDA globally, regionally and as organisations. The TF so far has looked in moderls of other bodies and what charges are applied. Now it will be checked how relevant are these for RDA. And move towards recommendations. The TF will offer also an opnioin on Organisational Membership. This is the role of OA and Kevin's role in the TF. Amongst the questions on Individual and Organisational membership is whether we see ourselves as members of a global organisation which can also interact with a region or more local which will interact with the global (which will be a major shift).
    • It may be considered that OA formulates a view on this.
    • Further updates
  6. Secretary-general update
  7. Categorization/Clustering of Organisations
    • Action all by end of July: Please update your organisation proposed clustering directly in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uBIGUojZLVdcLrrFb0BZ_-EP0AwQmBqbAGcEvtJ-ke8/edit#gid=0 (Note that Area 2 is optional)
    • Status: 14 Organisations have noted that they have filled it in.
    • Reminder on the scope; Twofold:
      • On one hand give more visibility to OA members (also via a set of updated slides of OA clustered members)
      • On the other hand to promote the types of organisations that become OA members to encourage others in the same category to join the OA! But also to be able to use the outputs and value statements for a specific category. 
  8. Actions from last meeting not otherwise dealt with in agenda
  9. AOB
    • OA meeting during P14 in Finland: Tuesday 22 October 17:00-19:00.
    • Private OAB lunch initally scheduled on the same day
    • Topics for the OA meeting in Finland

 

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 14:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 15:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 17:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 18:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 22:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 23:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Athens (Greece) Thursday, 5 September 2019, 00:00:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Medina (Saudi Arabia) Thursday, 5 September 2019, 00:00:00 AST UTC+3 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Thursday, 5 September 2019, 06:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Thursday, 5 September 2019, 07:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington) Thursday, 5 September 2019, 09:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 21:00:00  
AttachmentSize
PDF icon Mapping&TaggingGroups_13Jun2018.pdf8.92 MB