OA(B) September 2018 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

September 2018 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 25 September at 12:30 UTC

Draft minutes

  1. Roll call, Kevin, co-Chair 5' -
    • Present: Andrew Treloar (TAB co-Chair), Francoise Genova (TAB co-Chair), Kevin Ashley (co-Chair), John Towns (NCSA), Mark Leggott (RDC), Timea (DRI), Anders (DeIC), Hilary (SG) and Fotis (Secretariat), . 
    • Agenda item 4.2 to be moved forwad (before 4), as HIlary will have to leave for the RDA US leadership meeting.
    • Approval to record meeting: Granted. Recording.
    • New members - Digital Repository of Ireland (DRI), Ireland, Member: Natalie Harrower. Today represented by Timea Biro.
      • Timea: Very happy to join the OA. DRI strongly engaged for quite some time. Hope to make the most out of this membership.
    • Total: 45 Org members and 8 Affiliates=53 members.
    • Introduction of other first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly: Nonoe.
    • Reminder for all members to check and update their logos, representatives and web descriptions (some are still missing).
    • Call for any other business items: None.
  2. Minutes from January meeting  - 5'
  3. RDA Value Statements for the different types of organisations - 10'
    • Research Performing Organisations - Attachment
    • Libraries - Attachment
      • Kevin: These documents are pre-final drafts and have been prepared within the RDA Council. Comments should be received (in tracked changes) by the 27th of September, so that the final documents are then prepared. Hilary to explain.
      • Comments:
        • Andrew: I have already commented as part of RDA Council communications. 
        • Anders: I plan to share the library one with colleagues. Would like to use the RDA document to raise interest in data topics. 
        • Mark: Very informative.When will it be public? Many use cases for them. 
        • Hilary: I have received significant comments. Expect to close the two documents around the 10th October. We will be working also on similar docs for HPC, commercial, regions and funders. Private philanthropists may be considered.
          • The full list is as follows:
            • Research performing organisations
            • Corporate and Private Sector
            • Funders (government & non-profit) 
            • Regions 
            • Libraries 
            • Individuals
            • HPC / HTC infrastructures (High Performance / High Throughput or Distributed Computing).
              •  Action: OA members to suggest other groups/categories that the Council Task Forces can work on the RDA value
        • Anders: After the documents are public, I will share it further.
        • Francoise: After talking with Biblioteque de France, it came to me that you may need to consider more specific documents for national bodies like this (different from libraries).
        • Kevin: There is a general positive feeling for the documents that is good! 
  4. News from RDA Governance Bodies, 20'
    1. RDA Council, 5’, Kevin
      1. Kevin: August 30th was the last Council meeting:
        • A lot of discussion on the value statements.
        • Also on processes for conflict arbitration. Have to come up with such processes as the organisation matures.
        • CODATA is currently is looking for nominations including its next President. And given the MoU, we have the opportunity to put candidates for nominations forward.
        • Also discussion about the CODATA and the EU Go-FAIR one. CODATA is clear, but for EU Go-FAIR there is a bit of concern and possible overlap.
        • There is also a gap on the Council public minutes from the meetings. Should be resolved in the next couple of months. 
    2. RDA SG, 5’, Hilary
      • Hilary: I am in USA at the RDA US leadership meeting. Updates:
        • Value statements: These have been produced by task forces with Council members. Purpose: have coherent messages and highlight the value statements for different organisations. Will be working for other areas including HPC, where we recruited an expert. The idea is to focus on differnet types and customise a bit more. It is essential to clarify what RDA means and what it can do for different groups. There are adoption cases that we are not even aware of. Need to improve on this. There is a joint effort from EU-US on outputs and impact-implementation adoption cases. Anthony (RDA US) and Marieke (RDA Europe) will work on this.Hope to see some results next month. Feedback and comments are more than welcome. 
        • Regional engagement: On-going. First milestone is Botswana: First pre-final draft to be presented ad discussed with proposal for the financial contributions per region. And at the end of the year try to finalise this, as it is key for RDA sustainability. And then approach the regions to join.
        • Standards-related activities:
          • Discussions about an MoU with IEEE have restarted. Also talking with ITU and joint workshop and exploit some of their focus groups on data.
          • Next round of EU ICT technical specifications (equivelant of standards). 1st round published. 2nd round is about to be approved. 3rd round to be submitted. Good as it gives a quality stamp. Those can then be cited in public procurement.
        • About Governance groups:
          • TAB: Call for nominations is out. Need to have a good group of nominations. More from US-Asia.
          • Council: 3 persons (Ross, Fran and Jean-Bernard) will be stepping down next year.
        • P12 in Botswana:: 5-8 November. 300 registrations up to now. Early bird registration closing on Sunday. Funders forum on 4 November. Business report and then broader forum of all potential funders. Networking cocktail for the funders but also OA, Secretariat to network together. You will get more details.
          • Action SG/Secretariat: Circulate more information about the RDA Funders-Governance cocktail that will take place on 4 November, where the OA is invited.
        • P13 in Philadelphia: Discussions about an "unconference" proposal. Maybe for P14 and onwards. I would like to have the document shared with OAB for feedback: what can we do with the OA members on this area. Possible trial that for P14.
        • P14 in Europe: Bids in Europe by Sunday. Hope to get a couple of bids.
      • Questions: 
        • Francoise: On ICT specs: when will the processs for the 2nd batch be completed?
          • Hilary:  2nd round: TS5 Dynamic-data Citation Methodology, TS6 Data Description Registry Interoperability Model, TS7 RDA/WDS Repository Audit and Certification Catalogues, TS8 RDA/WDS Publishing Data Services
            are offically approved but have not been published in the Official Journal of the European Union yet. Probably to take place this week.They asked us not to disseminate this list before the official publication.
          • One of them (on Bibliography), will go to the next round.  
    3. RDA TAB, 5’, Andrew/Francoise
      • Francoise:
        • The big thing in TAB since the last OAB meeting has been the evaluation and scheduling for P12 sessions. Interactions with proposers, in particular focusing on good descriptions so that participants can choose what to follow.
        • Then there are discussions about this "unconference" proposal discussed above.
        • WG/IGs reviews. New WG on how to evaluate FAIRness. Fotis notified you explicitly on this group.
      • Andrew:
        • Call for nominations for TAB. This closes in 3 days time. If you have candidates please encourage them (including 3 seconders).
        • Looking forward to meet with OAB colleagues in Botswana.   
    4. RDA OAB, 5’, Kevin-others
      • Kevin: Covered in the agenda 
    5. RDA Sec, Hilary-Fotis
      • Fotis: Also new RDA website. If you find any issues please report them to the Secretariat or the Communications team. 
  5. OA Projects - 30'
    • a. OA Membership Process document and Organisational Member Agreement updates - 10' - Draft documents being prepared
      • Kevin: The documents will be circulated when in pre-final state.
    • b. Internal OA newsletter/update – 10https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-secretariat-rda-organisational-assembly/post/internal-newsletter-organisational-members
      • Kevin: Discuss usefulness and frequency – possibly every couple of months
      • Anders: yes, very useful. 
      • Decision: the internal OA newsletter is appreciated. It will be updated every two months. We can review its status after around a year (around August 2019). Action Fotis: prepare the next OA internal newsletter. 
    • c. Ambassadorial Strategy from an OM perspective - 5' (point initiated at Berlin OA)
      • Organisational membership pitch slide deck - Draft presentation
      • Action OA members: Comments on the OM pitch slide deck within one week (2 October) and then consider it completed.
    • d. Tiered OM fees based on region – 5' - Related discussion at regional engagement group (multiplier on top of current fees)
      • Kevin: main idea: base level which is then scaled-up or down based on some UN or other country indicators (multiplier). 
      • Andrew: Yes, agree that we need to do things consistently. E.g. TAB selection criteria is used in other groups. Same multiplier indeed.
      • Instead of wait for the conclusion of the regional group, I will share the current discussions about the finances in the RDA Regional Engagement group so that OA can comment in advance.
        • Action Kevin: Share the current discussions inside the RDA Regional Engagement group about the proposed fee schemes so that OA can comment in advance
    • e. Other (to be discussed in the next calls/meetings)
      • OM2OM services, Raphael-Jason
      • Tracks of interests for RDA Organisations (swimm lanes) - This requires a discussion with the TAB co-chairs.
        • Fotis: This requires an action among TAB-OAB co-chairs to discuss the issue. 
        • Andrew: Thematic/role paths: happy to do that after the sessions are finalised. Doing it before would be challenging, especially this time inside IDC. Scheduling for this event difficult, but may be possible after the program is finalised. 
        • Kevin: Need to check whether it is feasible to do this and produce a short list. Andrew: Yes, shorter than longer. Check if A: feasible B: Useful. Andrew: After program is finalised TAB co-chairs can come with a suggestion and share to OAB co-chairs. And then share with Wouters. Kevin: In parallel, also check with OA. Francoise: may be useful for other meetings. Timea: Ambitious suggestion: but can also add in the value proposition documents. E.g. lanes for libraries, or RPOs or the others. 
        • Decision: After P12 program is finalised, TAB co-chairs to come up with a suggestion for a short list of paths/lanes and share it with OAB co-chairs. Input/feedback from OAB can also be sought.   
      • Reduced fees for plenaries, Kevin
  6. Nominations for OAB - 5'
    • Explanation statement: The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry. Currently there are 6 members + 1 observer member from Industry, so there are at least 4 seats available. It is possible to have an extraordinary call for new members. 
      • Kevin: explains. Maybe wait for value proposition statements. 
  7. Preparation for next IDW - 5'
    • Kevin:  Given the fact that RDA and SciDataCon sessions are inter-mixed each day of IDW there are possibilities to host the OA meeting during the week  without conflicts with any RDA sessions (instead of doing it on Friday the 9th, after the end of the plenary). Two broad slots have been identified, namely:
      • TUESDAY, 6 NOVEMBER – 13:00 - 17:30
      • THURSDAY, 8 NOVEMBER – 11:00 – 16:00
      • See overall programme www.internationaldataweek.org/rda-12th-plenary 
      • Comments:
        • Andrew: Sunday afternoon: the TAB+ co-chairs. Post-plenary debrief: via call (people have to go via call). 
        • Francoise: Maybe wait to get the SciDataCon programme as people may be available. Near final. 
        • Decision: It is agreed that the OA meeting will take place during the RDA plenary and not after (clashing with SciDataCon and not RDA sessions). Before rescheduling the OAB should wait for final SciDataCon program to appear
    • Agenda
      • To be discussed
    • The OAB closed meeting is usually scheduled during lunch. Continue with the same approach or find another slot in parallel with SciDataCon?
  8. News from OA members, 5'
    • Anders: 1. DeIC applied for becoming an RDA Europe national node following a related open call from the RDA Europe 4 project. 2. Anders: Next year more time and then more actively engaged in the RDA work.
    • Mark: 1. Canarie: Several new generic infra projects out of a call. 2. Canadian community: how to spend the 1B Canadian Dollars for digital research infras, that includes good money for Research Data Management. 
  9. AoB - Next meeting, 5'
    • Decision: Next meeting(s) will take place in Gaborone (f2f). But try to schedule early the December call. 
  10. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  11. Action items
    • June meeting
      • Action Secretariat/Communications to promote the industrial pre-plenary events' report further - Open
      • Action all OAB members: Check the OM2OM contacts spreadsheet and fill in your name in case you have a contact in another organisational member (Link) - Open
      • Action OAB co-chairs: to make a proposal on reduced plenary fees for OMs (e.g. early bird all the way) to the RDA plenary organisers in Philadelphia (P12) and come back to you - Open 
      • Action Fotis: Circulate the request on who wants to work with Andrew on "what makes an output adoptable" to the whole Organisational Assembly and ask for volunteers (at least one is needed) - Done in the e-mail with the announcemnet of the June minutes - no volunteers though - Open
      • Action OAB co-Chairs to discuss with TAB co-Chairs on the "swimm lanes" idea. And then consider volunteers - Open
      • Action Fotis: Send reminders on the above action on "swimm lanes" and include the issue in the agenda for the next secretariat calls - Closed (and check the work that has been done on swimm lanes in regions and/or secretariat) - Closed - no clear relevant work
      • Action Secretariat and Communications people: to prepare a first slide deck for attracting new Organisational members by end of June - Closed. See agenda item 5c (Draft presentation)
      • Action Fotis: Discuss the issue of preparing a slide deck for attracting new OMs in the next secretariat call. Closed. 
      • Action Fotis: to work on the OA membership process document after RDA governance document is finalised and invite volunteers - Closed. Draft commented by Fotis and Stefanie.
      • Action. Include this point in the list of projects looking for expertise/volunteers.  Closed - See agenda item 5d.
      • Action Fotis: Move this item on OA ambassadors and OAB nominations to the next call's agenda. Closed - See agenda items 5c and 6. 
    • Previous meetings
      • Action: Include an agenda item for the next teclo to discuss if the OA can work in this area ("swimm lanes") and identify themes/tracks of interest for particular organisations - See new action on required discussion between TAB and OAB co-chairs. Closed. 
      • Decision: Cooperation w regional entities is very important of OM, the process concerning that should be more inclusive wrt the OA
      • Action: OA members to share ideas on how to approach the issue of RDA growth - Open
      • Action: Continue with the same group on Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs . Ask Stefanie and Anthony (RDA US) to provide some feedback from the Berlin-related BoF and then the group will come back with something - See new action above - Closed. 
      • Action: OM2OM services item to be followed up in the next meeting. OMs to think about this point - See new action/agenda item above. Close
      • Action: Kevin to share with the OA information about the reduced fees for plenaries for OMs - See new action/agenda item above. Close. 
      • OM topics of interest/pain points list/hotlist: Action Amy: Take into account the idea of using OMs as a network of influence in this OM project- Open
      • Action: Discuss the point of Berlin pre-plenary industrial events in the next call - Closed.
      • ActionBetter articulation of ambassadorial strategy from an OM perspective. Consider an OM slide deck to attract new members (1-3 slides) - See new action and new agenda item. Closed.
      • Action -Chairs: OAB to rethink how to best use the secretariat time - Open. 
      • Action: We should retake up this conversation re: a tiered OM fee structure based on region (specifically South America, Africa, Middle East/Asia) - See new action point and agenda item above.

Agenda

EU friendly timeslot

Location

Local Time

Time Zone

UTC Offset

San Diego (USA - California)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 05:30:00

PDT

UTC-7 hours

Denver (USA - Colorado)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 06:30:00

MDT

UTC-6 hours

Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 08:30:00

EDT

UTC-4 hours

Buenos Aires (Argentina)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 09:30:00

ART

UTC-3 hours

London (United Kingdom - England)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 13:30:00

BST

UTC+1 hour

Berlin (Germany - Berlin)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 14:30:00

CEST

UTC+2 hours

Athens (Greece)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 15:30:00

EEST

UTC+3 hours

Tokyo (Japan)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 21:30:00

JST

UTC+9 hours

Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 22:30:00

AEST

UTC+10 hours

Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington)

Wednesday, 26 September 2018, 00:30:00

NZST

UTC+12 hours

Corresponding UTC (GMT)

Tuesday, 25 September 2018, 12:30:00

 

 

 

UTC

Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones. Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time. Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer.

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509  

RDA OA(B) meeting
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509
 
You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604  Austria: +43 7 2081 5427 Belgium: +32 28 93 7018 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82 Finland: +358 923 17 0568 France: +33 170 950 594 Germany: +49 692 5736 7317 Ireland: +353 15 360 728 Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01 Netherlands: +31 207 941 377 New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302  Norway: +47 21 93 37 51 Spain: +34 932 75 2004  Sweden: +46 853 527 827  Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088 United States: +1 (571) 317-3129
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check
 
  1. Roll call, Kevin, co-Chair 5'
  2. Minutes from January meeting  - 5'
  3. RDA Value Statements for the different types of organisations - 10'
    • Research Performing Organisations - Attachment
    • Libraries - Attachment
      • Explanatory statement: These documents are pre-final drafts and have been prepared within the RDA Council. Comments should be received (in tracked changes) by the 27th of September, so that the final documents are then prepared. Hilary to explain.
      • Previous work from OAB on Value & Engagement
  4. News from RDA Governance Bodies, 20'
    1. RDA Council, 5’, Kevin
    2. RDA SG, 5’, Hilary
      • Points from last meeting: RDA regional engagement, RDA Growth and Governance, Sustainability, RDA facilitating standards - Possible MoUs (IEEE, ITU) 
    3. RDA TAB, 5’, Andrew/Francoise
    4. RDA OAB, 5’, Kevin-others
    5. RDA Sec, Hilary-Fotis
  5. OA Projects - 30'
    • a. OA Membership Process document and Organisational Member Agreement updates - 10' - Draft documents being prepared
      • The documents will be circulated when in pre-final state.
    • b. Internal OA newsletter/update – 10https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-secretariat-rda-organisational-assembly/post/internal-newsletter-organisational-members
      • Discuss usefulness and frequency – possibly every couple of months
    • c. Ambassadorial Strategy from an OM perspective - 5' (point initiated at Berlin OA)
    • d. Tiered OM fees based on region – 5' - Related discussion at regional engagement group (multiplier on top of current fees)
    • e. Other (to be discussed in the next calls/, meetings)
      • OM2OM services, Raphael-Jason
      • Tracks of interests for RDA Organisations (swimm lanes) - This requires a discussion with the TAB co-chairs
      • Reduced fees for plenaries, Kevin
  6. Nominations for OAB - 5'
    • Explanation statement: The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry. Currently there are 6 members + 1 observer member from Industry, so there are at least 4 seats available. It is possible to have an extraordinary call for new members. 
  7. Preparation for next IDW - 5'
    • Timing - Given the fact that RDA and SciDataCon sessions are inter-mixed each day of IDW there are possibilities to host the OA meeting during the week  without conflicts with any RDA sessions (instead of doing it on Friday the 9th, after the end of the plenary). Two broad slots have been identified, namely:
    • Agenda
      • To be discussed
    • The OAB closed meeting is usually scheduled during lunch. Continue with the same approach or find another slot in parallel with SciDataCon?
  8. News from OA members, 5'
  9. AoB - Next meeting, 5'
  10. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  11. Action items
    • June meeting
      • Action Secretariat/Communications to promote the industrial pre-plenary events' report further - Open
      • Action all OAB members: Check the OM2OM contacts spreadsheet and fill in your name in case you have a contact in another organisational member (Link) - Open
      • Action OAB co-chairs: to make a proposal on reduced plenary fees for OMs (e.g. early bird all the way) to the RDA plenary organisers in Philadelphia (P12) and come back to you - Open 
      • Action Fotis: Circulate the request on who wants to work with Andrew on "what makes an output adoptable" to the whole Organisational Assembly and ask for volunteers (at least one is needed) - Done in the e-mail with the announcemnet of the June minutes - no volunteers though - Open
      • Action OAB co-Chairs to discuss with TAB co-Chairs on the "swimm lanes" idea. And then consider volunteers - Open
      • Action Fotis: Send reminders on the above action on "swimm lanes" and include the issue in the agenda for the next secretariat calls - Closed (and check the work that has been done on swimm lanes in regions and/or secretariat) - Closed - no clear relevant work
      • Action Secretariat and Communications people: to prepare a first slide deck for attracting new Organisational members by end of June - Closed. See agenda item 5c (Draft presentation)
      • Action Fotis: Discuss the issue of preparing a slide deck for attracting new OMs in the next secretariat call. Closed. 
      • Action Fotis: to work on the OA membership process document after RDA governance document is finalised and invite volunteers - Closed. Draft commented by Fotis and Stefanie.
      • Action. Include this point in the list of projects looking for expertise/volunteers.  Closed - See agenda item 5d.
      • Action Fotis: Move this item on OA ambassadors and OAB nominations to the next call's agenda. Closed - See agenda items 5c and 6. 
    • Previous meetings
      • Action: Include an agenda item for the next teclo to discuss if the OA can work in this area ("swimm lanes") and identify themes/tracks of interest for particular organisations - See new action on required discussion between TAB and OAB co-chairs. Closed. 
      • Decision: Cooperation w regional entities is very important of OM, the process concerning that should be more inclusive wrt the OA
      • Action: OA members to share ideas on how to approach the issue of RDA growth - Open
      • Action: Continue with the same group on Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs . Ask Stefanie and Anthony (RDA US) to provide some feedback from the Berlin-related BoF and then the group will come back with something - See new action above - Closed. 
      • Action: OM2OM services item to be followed up in the next meeting. OMs to think about this point - See new action/agenda item above. Close
      • Action: Kevin to share with the OA information about the reduced fees for plenaries for OMs - See new action/agenda item above. Close. 
      • OM topics of interest/pain points list/hotlist: Action Amy: Take into account the idea of using OMs as a network of influence in this OM project- Open
      • Action: Discuss the point of Berlin pre-plenary industrial events in the next call - Closed.
      • ActionBetter articulation of ambassadorial strategy from an OM perspective. Consider an OM slide deck to attract new members (1-3 slides) - See new action and new agenda item. Closed.
      • Action -Chairs: OAB to rethink how to best use the secretariat time - Open. 
      • Action: We should retake up this conversation re: a tiered OM fee structure based on region (specifically South America, Africa, Middle East/Asia) - See new action point and agenda item above.