OA(B) October 2016 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

October meeting

(open to all Organisational Members)

Monday 31 October 2016, 13:00 UTC

European and US East Coast friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Juan Bicarregui
    • Present: Aaron Addison, Amy Nurnberger(co-Chair), Ben Schaap (GODAN- replacing Andre Laperriere), Juan Bicarregui (co-Chair), Christine Kirkpatrick, Francoise Genova (TAB), Hans Pfeiffenberger, Jason Haga, Joost Wagenaar, Kevin Ashley, Mark Parsons (Secretary Generar), Matt Viljoen, Raphael Ritz, Rob Quick, Siddeswara Guru, Suzan Reilly, Wouter Haak and Fotis (Secretariat)
    • Recorded meeting
  2. Roll Call - 5'
    • Introduction of first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly (in case there are such ones)
      • Joost: Blackfinn is a startup. Platform operation for Research data. So much data is lost. And not standardised. And academic effort to standardise it. Data mgmt very intuitive and easy. Work on data standards. Work with RDA. Started in 2015. Rapidly expanding. Super excited!
      • Christine: NDS. Replacing John Towns.
      • Hans Pfeiffenberger. Helmholtz Association.
      • Ben Schaap - GODAN, representing Andre Laperriere.
    • OA statistics: 51 members: 45 Organisational Members and 6 Affiliate Members, https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organ...
    • For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA), please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership
  3. Minutes from previous meetings (besides last meeting) - 5'
    • July and August-September meeting minutes (Denver ones to be approved two meetings after) - Approved.
    • Action point list review:
      • Fotis/secretariat to get the industrial RDA individual members who have participated to at least two plenaries. Document by Trust-IT with statistics from private sector members. Open: Juan to send the list of members who have participated to at least two plenaries from Timea and then filter out the industrial members. 
      • Volunteers to send nominations for Finance subcommittee - Open
      • Rewards for the ones who perform commentaries - Open. See item 6.
  4. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • News from RDA Council and its subcommittees - Mark, Amy, Juan, others - 10'
      • News from RDA Council
        • Council met in Denver in September and also a call last Friday.
          • Main point is sustainability. Not just financial, although a focus. Also a model with core services. Presented to funders forum. Well taken. Sitll a chllange to develop a sustainable business model. Also trying to map the core services to regions/countries. RDA Europe working on next funding proposal, and discussions on this. Also discussions in US, alhtough not a concrete funding call. Also in Africa in early October and South African DST declared that they will support RDA. First outside the 3 regions (EU, US, AUS) when this done.
          • Nomination for refreshing Council. 3 members. Nomination committtee was the 3 funding agencies. But now asked to be broader, with more people from the Council. The committee will be finalised next week.
          • Last thing, strategic. Evaluating the International Data Week conference (IDW). Consensus seems to be to do it again. Both based on the survey and another survey with key stakeholders. If agreed, P12 in two years time.
          • Questions:
            • Jason: Does it make sense to merge the Finance and the Operations subcommittees? Mark: Finance is the oldest one. More about fiscal policy and procedures. Only cash that we manage. Most of the money is via in-kind contriutions and regions. So the budget is relatively small. Part of the goal is to centralise more the support, so direct control on FTEs. Finance subcommittee was silent, but now they want to do the mapping between budget and services. So probably it make sense to talk to the opreations. Also related to Future Directions document. I will bring this back to the Council. Kevin: Related to this point: neeed for legal and fiscal separation in the governanace. Mark: Yes, Council is the Trustee so they are responsible for the most. So some level of separation.
      • News from sub-committees (for more about the subcommittees see also the OAB July meeting minutes)
        • Strategy
          • Strategy for the future. Also some policy issues although RDA is not a policy body.
          • Francoise: Medium-long term strategies. The outputs would be proposals for comments. 2 main areas: a. RDA built around collaboration (already published as a blog post). b. RDA Role on education and training. Will be submitted for comments soon (now available on-line). Juan: Also the relationship with standards organisations (post now available). There is also some work in Europe, on RDA outputs going through acceptance by a Multistakeholder ICT platform. A short note to come out also as a blog. Raphael: Some WGs are also working individualy with standardisation bodies. E.g. DFT group is working with ISO. Discussions about broader interactions, esp. if multiple points are established. The secretariat liaisons of WG to keep track of all these. Juan: genuine debate and looking forward to this.
        • Sustainability and funding
          • Sustainability of RDA and funding sources are key points for the future .
          • No further news (reported under Council).
        • Finance
          • Fiscal policies/rules. Considering of whether to pay for TAB and OAB members travel at some point in time.
          • No further news (reported under Council).
        • Engagement and Communications
          • Met before the plenary with the purpose to make some contacts at the plenary: health and data center. Talked to US NIH in Denver. And then, looking at WGs which are successful in their disciplines: Wheat, chemistry, etc. To continue this dicussion next week on disciplines. Action: Francoise: To send interdisciplenary groups to Amy.
        • Operations and Coordination
          • The last two subcommittees having to do with the Future Directions document (around Engagement, Communications and Coordination) and getting external help.
          • No further news.
    • News from Secretariat - 10'
      • Secretariat membership updates - Mark
        • Recruited one member for administrative support: Denise Small, STFC, administration and project management.
        • Reminder: Lynn Yarmey new member from RDA US as director of community developement in US. 
      • Communications plan on-going - Mark
      • Future plenaries update
        • Assessment of International Data Week and whether it should be done again (in two years - P12). Positive feedback for doing it again.
        • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (hosted by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants. Industrial RDA Europe side-event and other side events. 
        • Plenary 10 - Montreal, Canada (hosted by the University of Montreal). The meeting is co-organised by RDA, the University of Montreal and Research Data Canada, Canada
        • Working on P11 and P12. Rule of thumb: NA, EU, other. Cautious about the other. The only other was Japan, which was sucessful. Maybe Africa, South America or China. Don't want to loose momentum, before we have some pre-engagement. So need to prepare the ground - pre-work! Welcome any thoughts: challenging.
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly October statistics: 4500 members in October 2016
      • Other
        • Engagement with Africa - RDA event in Cape Town with African community focus. Side event of major conference on Research Infrastructures (ICRI 2016) hosted by South African government. They discussed the notion of RDA Africa.
          • Partnership with CODATA who is active in the region. Link with CODATA Open Data Platform for Africa (more policy), policy harmonisation, community engagement, etc. Also Kay Raseroka (Council member) from Africa. Visited also Botswana, which is stable. Good example of engaging with Africa. But baby steps still. 
    • News from TAB (besides WG/IG and Rcommendations which are covered in agenda item 7 below) - 10'
      • TAB Elections: New TAB: Helen Glaves, Devika Madalli, Tobias Weigel, and Paul Uhlir! Also Rainer Stotzka (next in the order) replaced Peter Wittenburg who stepped down one year earlier. Reorgnise the TAB liaisons for each WG/IG. Streamline the review process. Much better than it used to be. Also trying some tools.
      • TAB Landscape Overview Group report presented by Steve Diggs in the August-September meeting
        • Background: it is important to understand how RDA recommendations can be stiched together and how the different groups interact. TAB working on how the WG/IGs intersect: notion of a landscape overview. There was a first effort on this a couple of years ago, but only a snapshot over time. The challenge is how to make this be maintained by the groups themselves so that it stays current and dynamic. So a TAB sub-group led by Steve Diggs has been working on some tools that help display the information, collecting metadata on what they are doing and how they are interrelated.
        • Francoise: The material in the web is outdated. And such work requires dedicated people!
        • Presentation: http://goo.gl/oLLpeS
        • Comments/Questions:
          • Educopia is building bridges among organisations. More on scholarly communications, humanities. They have a clear methodology and they try to enforce their "collective impact" approach: vision, common mission statements and identify roadmap for meeting the vision. Connection to educopia could be good.
      • Other
        • Francoise and Mark wrote a blog post: TAB and other groups in RDA seek interconnections but without having a pre-defined (top-down) architecture. So, we do not necessarily define how these interconnections will happen. We want to approach the problem at multiple scales and from different directions, reflecting the huge diversity of topics and points of views involved in the construction of the scientific data infrastructure. A visual way of these interactions will be presented by Steve Diggs later on.
        • The important stuff is being done by the WG/IGs, but they have to have some support. And main focus is how to translate support into a set of RDA core services which are sustainable. In the Tokyo funders' forum, the funders have shown committment. But they are struggling how (funding instruments) to support/finance RDA.
        • Francoise: 2 meetings per month as we have now an Indian timezone. Juan: do you repeat the meetings? Francoise: Absolutely not. We are reviewing the groups and this cannot be repeated.  
  5. OA Value & Engagement - 5'
    • Current version of live document Short presentation of current status, Amy Nurnberger (Columbia University Libraries) and Stephen Wolff (Internet2)
      • Living document, revisiting while RDA grows. Comments about other areas of values. Take under serious discussion: cross-membership with partnerships, discounts for plenaries, etc.
  6. The role of OA in Expert Commentary and Adoptability: Process and Tools, Juan Bicarregui, Amy Nurnberger - 20'
    • Updated process after Chairs meeting with Secretary General and Fotis
      • OA commentary updated process
        • As candidate recommendations appear, TAB to notify the whole OA about the recommendations. OA members can disseminate the news in their organisations or networks
        • RDA Secretariat (Mark and Fotis) with the help of the OAB Chairs to discuss what expertise is available in the OA and make a suggestion for private OAB to comment.
        • After convergence inside the private OAB, Fotis to send messages to the suggested organisations to provide expert commentary with emphasis on adoptability and the status of actual adoption.
        • Assigned OA members can also use external experts to help them and the OA members can write up a summary after discussing with them. The same can be done when there is no clear expertise inside the OA.
        • Note: Commentaries should be representing both the organisation area and the individual expertise
        • Comments:
          • Amy: Guidance for commentary: See template (first bullet).
          • Francoise: Adoption is one of the key elements. The comments are very important, and these have to be shared and appear in the website.
          • Mark: Adoption and adoptability is how Council measures consensus. The OA are their favorite adopters.
          • Amy: Keeing track of who is adopting what. Adopting organisations register their "adoption". May be good to think about this. Francoise: Agree. Mark: We are trying to track adopters: https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendat.... Action Mark: Work on adoption registration (enable registering adoption).
          • Amy: Record expertise: See second bullet. Action: Fotis: Send a reminder on recording expertise https://www.rd-alliance.org/survey-record-oa-members-expertise. Hans: Tap on the shoulder thing: to find reviewers. Different than saying full blown endorsement, can be endorsed and also adopted by or within. Needs room for differentiation. Mark: level of differentiation comes from the Council: Useful or already adoptable! Much weight if already adopted.
    • Templates
    • Recognition/rewards for commentators
      • Ideas included featuring OA member profiles in the newsletter,  formal letters of appointment (for more junior members) or credit (Example from Denver: Publons-ORCID cooperation).
      • Mark: Wrote a letter to the lady of the Griffith University with the spreadsheet. Thank you letter, appreciated. Juan: Ideas welcome. Also off-line. Kevin: Range of means of recognition is the best strategy, as not work for everybode. 
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 10'
  8. Open industry/private sector seats on OAB - Amy, 5'
    • Juan 10 out of 12 seats. Other two seats.
    • Previous discussion with Council: The Council felt that it would be good to get a number of industrial OA members on-board before nominating the seats.
    • Current suggestion: Invite all industry members to OAB as observers until numbers increase. This grants for-profit OA members a voice at the forum, but no formal voting rights.
    • Action: Industrial members have not been invited to join the OAB yet (nor have they been included in the OAB private list).
  9. Next OA(B) meetings, 5'
    • At the Denver meeting it was decided (at the end) to go for one meeting per month (no repeats), time zone rotated
      • Action: End of November and then beginning of January
    • Also at the next plenaries only one meeting per plenary (by invitation - interested organisations to join may be asked to be invited) and avoid clashes with WG/IG groups. So possibly just before or after the main days.
  10. AoB, 5'

 

Original agenda

San Francisco (USA - California) Monday, 31 October 2016 15:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Monday, 31 October 2016 16:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Monday, 31 October 2016 , 18:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Monday, 31 October 2016 , 19:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Monday, 31 October 2016 , 23:00:00 GMT UTC
Paris (France - Île-de-France) Monday, 31 October 2016, 00:00:00 CET UTC+1 hours
Athens (Greece) Monday, 31 October 2016, 01:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Monday, 31 October 2016, 07:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Tuesday, 1 November 2016 , 08:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Tuesday, 1 November 2016, 10:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Monday, 31 October 2016, 13:00:00    

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/173222205

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 173-222-205 Phone numbers: Australia (Toll-free) +61 2 8355 1040 +61 2 8355 1040, Austria (Toll-free) +43 7 2088 0034 +43 7 2088 0034, Belgium (Toll-free) +32 (0) 28 93 7018 +32 (0) 28 93 7018, Canada (Toll-free) +1 (647) 497-9391 +1 (647) 497-9391, Denmark (Toll-free) +45 69 91 88 64 +45 69 91 88 64, Finland (Toll-free) +358 (0) 923 17 0568 +358 (0) 923 17 0568, France (Toll-free) +33 (0) 170 950 592 +33 (0) 170 950 592, Germany (Toll-free) +49 (0) 692 5736 7317 +49 (0) 692 5736 7317, Ireland (Toll-free) +353 (0) 15 360 728 +353 (0) 15 360 728, Italy (Toll-free) +39 0 247 92 13 01 +39 0 247 92 13 01, Netherlands (Toll-free) +31 (0) 208 080 219 +31 (0) 208 080 219, New Zealand (Toll-free) +64 9 280 6302 +64 9 280 6302, Norway (Toll-free) +47 75 80 32 07 +47 75 80 32 07, Spain (Toll-free) +34 911 82 9906 +34 911 82 9906, Sweden (Toll-free) +46 (0) 853 527 836 +46 (0) 853 527 836, Switzerland (Toll-free) +41 (0) 435 0167 13 +41 (0) 435 0167 13, United Kingdom (Toll-free) +44 (0) 330 221 0086 +44 (0) 330 221 0086, United States (Toll-free) +1 (571) 317-3129 +1 (571) 317-3129
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session:   http://help.citrix.com/getready

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Juan Bicarregui
    • Record meeting approval
  2. Roll Call - 5'
  3. Minutes from previous meetings (besides last meeting) - 5'
    • July and August-September meeting minutes (Denver ones to be approved two meetings after) - For approval
    • Action point list review:
      • Fotis/secretariat to get the industrial RDA individual members who have participated to at least two plenaries. Document by Trust-IT with statistics from private sector members. Open: Juan to send the list of members who have participated to at least two plenaries from Timea and then filter out the industrial members. 
      • Volunteers to send nominations for Finance subcommittee - Open
      • Rewards for the ones who perform commentaries - Open. See item 6.
  4. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • News from RDA Council and its subcommittees - Mark, Amy, Juan, others - 10'
      • News from RDA Council
        • Council met in Denver in September and also a call last Friday. Mark to report.
      • News from sub-committees (for more about the subcommittees see also the OAB July meeting minutes)
        • Strategy
          • Strategy for the future. Also some policy issues although RDA is not a policy body.
        • Sustainability and funding
          • Sustainability of RDA and funding sources are key points for the future
        • Finance
          • Fiscal policies/rules. Considering of whether to pay for TAB and OAB members travel at some point in time.
        • Engagement and Communications
        • Operations and Coordination
          • The last two subcommittees having to do with the Future Directions document (around Engagement, Communications and Coordination) and getting external help.
    • News from Secretariat - 10'
      • Secretariat membership updates - Mark
        • Recruited one member for administrative support: Denise Small, STFC, administration and project management.
        • Reminder: Lynn Yarmey new member from RDA US as director of community developement in US. 
      • Communications plan on-going - Mark
      • Future plenaries update
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly October statistics: 4500 members in October 2016
      • Other
        • Engagement with Africa - RDA event in Cape Town with African community focus. Side event of major conference on Research Infrastructures (ICRI 2016) hosted by South African government.
          • Partnership with CODATA who is active in the region. Link with CODATA Open Data Platform (more policy), community engagement, policy harmonisation, etc.
            South African government promised to fund RDA. 
    • News from TAB (besides WG/IG and Rcommendations which are covered in agenda item 7 below) - 10'
      • TAB Elections: New TAB: Helen Glaves, Devika Madalli, Tobias Weigel, and Paul Uhlir! Also Rainer Stotzka (next in the order) replaced Peter Wittenburg who stepped down one year earlier. 
      • TAB Landscape Overview Group report presented by Steve Diggs in the August-September meeting
        • Background: it is important to understand how RDA recommendations can be stiched together and how the different groups interact. TAB working on how the WG/IGs intersect: notion of a landscape overview. There was a first effort on this a couple of years ago, but only a snapshot over time. The challenge is how to make this be maintained by the groups themselves so that it stays current and dynamic. So a TAB sub-group led by Steve Diggs has been working on some tools that help display the information, collecting metadata on what they are doing and how they are interrelated.
        • Presentation: http://goo.gl/oLLpeS
        • Comments/Questions:
          • Educopia is building bridges among organisations. More on scholarly communications, humanities. They have a clear methodology and they try to enforce their "collective impact" approach: vision, common mission statements and identify roadmap for meeting the vision. Connection to educopia could be good.
      • Other
        • Francoise and Mark wrote a blog post: TAB and other groups in RDA seek interconnections but without having a pre-defined (top-down) architecture. So, we do not necessarily define how these interconnections will happen. We want to approach the problem at multiple scales and from different directions, reflecting the huge diversity of topics and points of views involved in the construction of the scientific data infrastructure. A visual way of these interactions will be presented by Steve Diggs later on.
        • The important stuff is being done by the WG/IGs, but they have to have some support. And main focus is how to translate support into a set of RDA core services which are sustainable. In the Tokyo funders' forum, the funders have shown committment. But they are struggling how (funding instruments) to support/finance RDA.
  5. OA Value & Engagement - 5'
    • Current version of live document Short presentation of current status, Amy Nurnberger (Columbia University Libraries) and Stephen Wolff (Internet2)
  6. The role of OA in Expert Commentary and Adoptability: Process and Tools, Juan Bicarregui, Amy Nurnberger - 20'
    • Updated process after Chairs meeting with Secretary General
      • OA commentary updated process
        • As candidate recommendations appear, TAB to notify the whole OA about the recommendations. OA members can disseminate the news in their organisations or networks
        • RDA Secretariat (Mark and Fotis) with the help of the OAB Chairs to discuss what expertise is available in the OA and make a suggestion for private OAB to comment.
        • After convergence inside the private OAB, Fotis to send messages to the suggested organisations to provide expert commentary with emphasis on adoptability and the status of actual adoption.
        • Assigned OA members can also use external experts to help them and the OA members can write up a summary after discussing with them. The same can be done when there is no clear expertise inside the OA.
        • Note: Commentaries should be representing both the organisation area and the individual expertise
    • Templates
    • Rewards for commentators
      • Ideas included featuring OA member profiles in the newsletter,  formal letters of appointment (for more junior members) or credit (Example from Denver: Publons-ORCID cooperation).
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 10'
  8. Open industry/private sector seats on OAB - Amy, 5'
    • Previous discussion with Council: The Council felt that it would be good to get a number of industrial OA members on-board before nominating the seats.
    • Current suggestion: Invite all industry members to OAB as observers until numbers increase. This grants for-profit OA members a voice at the forum, but no formal voting rights.
    • Action: Industrial members have not been invited to join the OAB yet (nor have they been included in the OAB private list).
  9. Next OA(B) meetings, 5'
    • At the Denver meeting it was decided (at the end) to go for one meeting per month (no repeats), time zone rotated
    • Also at the next plenaries only one meeting per plenary (by invitation - interested organisations to join may be asked to be invited) and avoid clashes with WG/IG groups. So possibly just before or after the main days.
  10. AoB, 5'
AttachmentSize
File OA-Template_OutputCommentary_v02.docx16.97 KB