OA(B) November 2017 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

November 2017 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 7 November 2017, 13:00 UTC

EU friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

  1. Roll Call - 5'
  2. Minutes from Montreal meeting  - 10'
    • Montreal minutes
      • Approved.
    • Announcements:
    • Action items - see at the end (will review as we come to them in the agenda)
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA Council and its subcommittees - Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
      • RDA Council -
        • Update from Amy:
          • Council working on new strategy for scaling and growth, including sustainability aspects.
          • Next Council meeting at the end of November in Brussels (attached to European Open Science Cloud pilot project (EOSC Pilot) workshop and Digital Infrastructure for Research (DI4R) conference.
          • Update on Secretary General (SG) position. Ingrid in interim position.
        • Ingrid: New SG position progressing well, confident that we will have a new SG by 1 Feb 2018.
      • Sub-committees 
    • News from Secretariat - 10', Fotis
      • Secreteriat update on current roles (Ingrid Dillo interim SG until Feb 2018, working on new strategy with Council, Hilary on leave until Jan 2018, Florence from Trust-IT also left - new persons to help TImea. Lisa, Ingrid's assistant, also contributing to the secretariat until Feb 2018)
      • Coordination exercise - https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-communication-coordination 
      • Communications plan on-going
      • Future plenaries update
        • Plenary 11 - Berlin, Germany 21-23 March 2018 (hosted by the Helmholz Association). : Theme "From Data to Knowledge"
          • Fotis: Trying to scheduling the OA meeting on Friday afternoon as in Montreal. Initially plenary was scheduled to finish late in the afternoon, but there is an effort to move the end around noon. In this case a joint lunch with TAB and an afternoon OA meeting will be made possible. Not confirmed yet. Will have to wait.
            • There will be also an Industry day similar to the Paris plenary one, with data challenges/competition (mostly for German startups/companies)
          • Raphael: Peter Wittenburg is leading this effort who has a lot of connections with Industry. Major local industrial players to be present, such as Siemens and SAP, but also the lcoal startups from Berlin Amy: it may be good to check how OA members can contribute/interact in this event.
        • Plenary 12  - 2nd International Data Week (RDA Plenary+SciDataCon from WDS-CODATA), Gaborone, Botswana, 22–26 October 2018
        • Plenary 13 - A call for P13 (around March-April 2019) is currently being discussed at the Secretariat. It will go out probably before the end of the year. May be good if P13 can be hosted in USA. 
          • Kevin: US OA members can consider becoming hosts for P13.
      • RDA individual membership: Updated statistics. ~6300 members.
      • Action Item updates
        • OM targeted communications - newsletter - template discussed in Montreal
          • Fotis: Secretariat discussed the idea and the template - will come up with a plan until the end of the year (probably to start next year). The content part is rather straightforward but I have asked help regarding the graphical/communications part from Yolanda (or Timea)
          • Action Fotis: Create some first content for the OM targeted newsletter asap.
    • News from TAB  - 10', Andrew/Francoise not present, Amy
      • New TAB members - New TAB
        • Amy: New TAB after elections. Andrew and Francoise relected as co-Chairs.
      • News from Montreal TAB-Chairs meeting
        • Fotis: After bootstrapping period, RDA in a cross-road. Need to decide whether it should go for a more formal approach (with more formal WG reviews like W3C) or continue with the current less formal/more loose approach.
        • Kevin: Another two points from my notes:
          • Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) and related efforts on mapping the landscape and linking groups. There is also a webinar this week (scheduled on Thursday, 9th November 2017, 12:00 UTC)  http://https://www.rd-alliance.org/atlas-knowledge-navigating-rda’s-activities
            • Raphael: Yes, I presented AoK. Well received by TAB. But there is also overlap with other activities. One that started inside TAB as mapping the landscape activity which is now an Interest Group. There is also an increasing number of RDA domain science groups and there is now another group trying to foster links, synergies and better understanding of the differnet groups. They have different focus, but similar operational approaches. All 3 groups have similar requiremnts and visions, which also affect the RDA global website. In contact with Trust-IT to understand whether the website has capabilities of dynamically displaying graph structures with zoom in and zoom out.These can be used to integrate all 3 in the website. RDA Europe 3 that has been working on Aok finishes February 2018, but RDA Europe 4 has been granted and the AoK will continue (with some changes).
            • Amy: Have you received any inputs from OA members, re. such links and connections? Raphael: We (AoK) haven't done so. Good point. The next step agreed would be to involve the Chairs of WG/IGs, but I will propose to get some input from Organisational Members (Action Raphael)
            • Stefan: Landscape project: Useful to have the time dimension. Which groups finsihed, which on-going, etc. Fotis: Secretariat has this info as an internal excel. Action Fotis. Dig out this info and report back.
            • Guru: It would be good if we are able to track the adopters in the graph.
            • Fotis: You can check the graphical demo of AoK at http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/ (click on the "RDA Map" link on the right-hand sidemap")
            • Action Raphael: Provide the OA feedback to AoK and report back in the next meeting.
          • Kevin: Second point: Discussion which went rather conclusive around testbeds for outputs. Different ideas, some only to promote adoption, some one step further towards services.
  4. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  5. OAB elections - Amy, Kevin
    • ​​​​​​​OAB members whose terms are ending at the March 2018 plenary
      • Amy, Fabrizio, Kevin, Malcolm and Raphael (all can be reelected)
      • Co-chairs term ending: Amy (can be reelected)
    • Election process and schedule timeline
      • Any member who wishes to be elected can express interest.
      • Current OAB members should express interests in the next 10 days.
      • A message to the whole OA goes out inviting for further nominations, including a statement of interest, plus two seconders from OA.
      • In case there are more candidates than spaces, then we will proceed with formal elections.
      • A new co-chair will be elected at the Plenary in March.
      • Expressions of interests and nominations should be sent to enquiries@rd-alliance.org. Fotis will collect all candidates.
      • Action Fotis: Inform the whole OA about the upcoming elections and the nominations process. Current OAB member are encouraged to express interest as early as possible (within the next 10 days). Nomination from all OA members should be received by the end of the November. All requests should be sent to enquiries@rd-alliance.org
  6. OA "Projects"
    • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs - report from OAB sub-group: Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara
      • Initial document
        • Guru: Looking for a maturity model to assess the adoptability/fitness for use. Just started discussions. Will be based on a set of rules/descriptive. If support, go ahead with it.
          • Amy: Very good idea. Proceed!
          • Action OAB sub-group Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara to proceed with the maturity model.
    • Policy preview for Council on OM benefits
      • Document presented in Montreal
        • Kevin: Discussed at the Council meeting in Montreal. Some degree of support, but also dessenting views expressed as to whether or not some of the incentives are realistic. But the answer was that not all benefits are worthwhile for every organisation. Will proceed on this basis, i.e. not universal benefits, but benefits worthwhile for different organisations.
    • OM2OM services
      • No updates since Montreal. See Montreal minutes (clear interest, but no consensus yet detected).
      • Raphael: Explains the background first of the OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisational Member services). Discussion continues. 2 lines of thoughts that followed the Montreal meeting:
        • Neutrality point: If RDA was providing services and treated differently the OMs and its members, then this may had been a problem. But the services will be provided by the OMs. So this is not considered a problem.
        • Professional vs. informal services: Are we taking about professional services to customers or more informal helping each other, lowering the barrier to entry for some technologies or services? If professional, then Service Level Agreements (SLAs), Operational Level Agreements (OLAs)...If informal, easier to implement. Both could be in scope. But it may help, if we take one path.
        • Action Jason and Raphael: Update their document and write down some of the above arguments on neutrality and professional vs. informal services, and frame the discussion.
      • Jason: Agree. In addition, OMs pay a fee. And you have to justify this. So the point is to be able to provide value for other OMs. So what we can offer to other OMs. Whether formal or informal. It depends to what the orgs can offer. Put down a list of services and things that OMs can offer. And then see what we have and decide where to go. Start approaching orgs what they can offer.
      • Action Jason: Document the list of available services from all OMs. 
      • Amy: Yes a parallel effort, agree, in parallel with the framing bit. How to gather this? Jason: Put an excel with all OM and their reps. Start from the people we know.
      • Action Fotis: Share a filtered version of the OA tracking database to Rafael and Jason. Then we ask OA members to fill in contact persons from their organisations and give their consent to contact them.
        • Stefan: Very good thing to push forward. Detected some concern in Montreal about exclusive/priviledged services from OA members. How to go around it and repeat what I stated in Montreal: The RDA is the info exchange-broker bus between OMs. But RDA does not vet who does what for whom. RDA will only connect organisations together and it shouldn't care what members to with each other, charging for services or not. This is between the OMs. Agree with Jason, we need to be able to provide some clear benefits of being organisational members.
    • OM Hotlist (of current challenges: what issues are we experiencing and where we may require solutions. Possibly also vote and rank them.
      • Not yet started.
      • Action Amy to work on the OM Hotlist for the next meeting.
  7. Regular calls plan (if discussion needed)
    • Amy: We are trying out a regural day of the month to reduce lengthy doodle polling. First Tuesday of every month. We would need a doodle for January call.
    • Kevin: Keeping regular day but flipping the timeslots to favour Europe vs. US-Austalasia.
    • Fotis: Next call: Tuesday 5 December, around 21:00. Exact timing to be confirmed with the chairs. Action co-Chairs and Fotis to fix the time and communicate it to all.
    • Action Fotis: Circulate a doodle for January 2018.
  8. Any other business
    • Amy: Council will be working on a non harassment policy for RDA members. We may want to reflect on what role the OA may have. Will share more info on that. Action Amy: share more info about non-harassment policy in RDA.
  9. Action Items
Responsibility Item description Date created

Status /Date

Secretariat

Incorporate ORCiD into individual RDA profiles: Complete

Incorporate ORCiD into automatic registration of reviews and outputs: On Hold

201612 Open Updated 2017-05
Secretariat

Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

Action: Follow-up and close it by next meeting

Current state: Open

201612 Open
Fotis, Raphael

Get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) output. It was presented in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June '17. In better shape in summer. Link: http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/  

Update: 

  • The name "AoK" will disappear during integration in the RDA website (if agreed) 
  • Focus has been given on the content and process aspects and then to improve graphic interface aspects.
    • The current graphic system needs to be updated / replaced. The AoK team has been looking for another graphic system which fulfils the requirements, but this is not easy.
  • Webinar scheduled for Thursday, 9th November 2017, 13:00 CET http://https://www.rd-alliance.org/atlas-knowledge-navigating-rda’s-activities
201700 Open
OA: Industry sub-group

To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

201703 Open
OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in May 201704 Open
OAB: Jason, Raphael

Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). 

Document presented and being discussed (also in Montreal). Clear interest but no consensus on how to do this. Need to converge.

201704

Open

OA: Fab, Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction models

201704 Open
OAB Chairs, Secretariat

Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements

Fotis: There is already an internal OA(B) tracking database, which can be updated with additional information. Take this off-line with Chairs.

201704 Open
       

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

November 2017 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 7 November 2017, 13:00 UTC

EU friendly timeslot

Original agenda

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 05:00:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 06:00:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 08:00:00 EST UTC-5 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 10:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 13:00:00 GMT UTC
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 14:00:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 15:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 22:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 00:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 02:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 13:00:00

 

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/408888069

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 408-888-069
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9091 7603 Austria: +43 1 2530 22500 Belgium: +32 28 93 7002 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9376 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 69 Finland: +358 923 17 0556 France: +33 170 950 590 Germany: +49 692 5736 7300 Ireland: +353 15 360 756 Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80 Netherlands: +31 207 941 375 New Zealand: +64 9 282 9510 Norway: +47 21 93 37 37 Spain: +34 932 75 1230 Sweden: +46 853 527 818
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 60 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0097 United States: +1 (786) 535-3119

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

  1. Roll Call - 5'
  2. Minutes from Montreal meeting  - 10'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA Council and its subcommittees - Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
    • News from Secretariat - 10', Fotis
      • Secreteriat update on current roles (Ingrid Dillo interim SG until Feb 2018, working on new strategy with Council, Hilary on leave until Jan 2018, Florence from Trust-IT also left - new persons to help TImea. Ingrid assistant Lisa also contributing to the secretariat until Feb 2018)
      • Coordination exercise - https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-communication-coordination 
      • Communications plan on-going
      • Future plenaries update
        • Plenary 11 - Berlin, Germany 21-23 March 2018 (hosted by the Helmholz Association). : Theme "From Data to Knowledge"
          • Scheduling OA meeting
        • Plenary 12  - 2nd International Data Week (RDA Plenary+SciDataCon from WDS-CODATA), Gaborone, Botswana, 22–26 October 2018
        • Plenary 13 - A call for P13 (around March-April 2019) is currently being discussed at the Secretariat. It will go out probably before the end of the year. May be good if P13 can be hosted in USA. 
      • RDA individual membership: Updated statistics.
      • Action Item updates
        • OM targeted communications - newsletter - template discussed in Montreal
          • Secretariat discussed the idea and the template - will come up with a plan until the end of the year (probably to start next year).
    • News from TAB  - 10', Andrew/Francoise
  4. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  5. OAB elections
    • ​​​​​​​OAB members whose terms are ending
      • Amy, Fabrizio, Kevin, Malcolm and Raphael (all can be reelected)
      • Co-chairs term ending: Amy (can be reelected)
    • Election schedule timeline
  6. OA "Projects"
    • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs - report from OAB sub-group: Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara
    • Policy preview for Council on OM benefits
    • OM2OM services
      • No updates since Montreal. See Montreal minutes (clear interest, but no consensus yet detected).
    • OM Hotlist (of current challenges: what issues are we experiencing and where we may require solutions. Possibly also vote and rank them.
      • Not yet started
  7. Regular calls plan (if discussion needed)
  8. Any other business
  9. Action Items
Responsibility Item description Date created

Status /Date

Secretariat

Incorporate ORCiD into individual RDA profiles: Complete

Incorporate ORCiD into automatic registration of reviews and outputs: On Hold

201612 Open Updated 2017-05
Secretariat

Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

Action: Follow-up and close it by next meeting

Current state: Open

201612 Open
Fotis, Raphael

Get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) output. It was presented in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June '17. In better shape in summer. Link: http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/  

Update: 

  • The name "AoK" will disappear during integration in the RDA website (if agreed) 
  • Focus has been given on the content and process aspects and then to improve graphic interface aspects.
    • The current graphic system needs to be updated / replaced. The AoK team has been looking for another graphic system which fulfils the requirements, but this is not easy.
  • Webinar scheduled for Thursday, 9th November 2017, 13:00 CET http://https://www.rd-alliance.org/atlas-knowledge-navigating-rda’s-activities
201700 Open
OA: Industry sub-group

To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

201703 Open
OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in May 201704 Open
OAB: Jason, Raphael

Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). 

Document presented and being discussed (also in Montreal). Clear interest but no consensus on how to do this. Need to converge.

201704

Open

OA: Fab, Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction models

201704 Open
OAB Chairs, Secretariat

Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements

Fotis: There is already an internal OA(B) tracking database, which can be updated with additional information. Take this off-line with Chairs.

201704 Open