OA(B) May 2017 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

May 2017 meeting

(open to all Organisational Members)

Thursday 11 May 2017, 13:00 UTC

Europe and US-east coast friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

  1. Roll Call - 5'
    • Present: Kevin (Chair), Amy, Jan (Brase), Jason, Juan, Larry, Lisa, Raphael, Robert (McDonald), Mark (Secretary General), Fotis (secretariat).
    • OA statistics: 52 members: 44 Organisational Members and 8 Affiliate Members, https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organ...
    • Introduction of first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly (in case there are such ones)
      • One new member since last call: Carnegie Mellon University Libraries, USA, Lisa Zilinski
        • Lisa: Research Data Consultant, CMU. New in RDA but developing research data tools and services. A lot of DMP stuff and meeting pocily and funders' requirements. Get more in this area and provide more. Locally and globally.
    • For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA), please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership
  2. Minutes from previous meeting  - 10'
    • Barcelona draft minutes
    • Action point list review:
      • From previous meetings:
        • All - Recurring: OA member to be presented/highlighted in the RDA newsletters - Volunteers needed! Kevin the first in the list. Action: Fotis and Kevin to take it off-line. Action: Circulate the guidelines again.
        • All- Record OA member expertise for performing commentaries - Fill in survey: https://www.rd-alliance.org/survey-record-oa-members-expertise
          • Already 20 members have filled in their expertise! Analysis needed (new action). Set a target of 75% of OA members filling this survey.
        • Rewards for the ones who perform commentaries - Letter of acknowledgement/formal recognition from Secretary General. Recommendations to appear on ORCID profile (on-going discussions). On-going. See also below. Closed.
        • Action Secretariat: Follow-up with Laurel Haak (ORCID) to better connect RDA with ORCID, including possible automatic registration of reviews under the ORCID and/or RDA profile.
          • Challenging with Drupal. Timea and her counterpart at ORCID have agreed to explore it when they have time. Hopefully in the next month or so - On-going.
        • Mark: Work more on adopter registration (who's adopted what outputs): https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendat... - On-going.
          • Action Secretariat: Hilary working on it. 
        • Action Fotis: To get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the TAB LOG output by RDA Europe. On-going Present the status in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June. In better shape in summer. Action: Add a link so that people can have a look and comment.
      • From last call:
        • Action OAB-sub-group on industry (Amy, Juan, Fab, Ross): To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry.
          • Action - OA members to propose candidates for the RDA Europe Industrial Advisory Board - Closed.
          • Action - Amy to plan for a call of the OAB sub-group on industry. Closed.
      • From Barcelona:
        • See separate agenda item 4.
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
  4. Recap from Barcelona meetings - 30'
    • OA members meeting
      • Reports from Council, TAB, Secretary General
      • Experiences with adoption of RDA outputs - views, ideas, comments:
        • Varying adoption cases, depending on the outputs (from document to reference implementation/code). Some more adoptable than others.
        • Varying experiences: from smooth/easy/fast to more difficult/time-consuming/slow (especially for less concrete outputs). But overall positive experiences!
        • Important to take the recommendations and both adopt/adapt them at the local environments (integrating them in the mainstream jobs/activities of people/organisations)
          • "Articulating intersections" of RDA outputs with other efforts/activities (usually at local level). Or "articulated links to the RDA outputs".
        • Coordinating-linking outputs may be also needed (besides coordinating/linking groups)
        • The implementation of the recommendation may have its own life.
        • Responsiblity of the code related to an output: reference implementation is different from a production running code/service. RDA is not responsible for the running code (usually taken up by an organisation participating in the WG). RDA is only responsible for the output/standard.
        • RDA endorsement may also open doors for funding
    • OAB members meeting
      • Confirmation of new OAB
      • Election of co-chair: Kevin Ashley, Digital Curation Centre, UK
      • Main discussion points:
        • Ownership of adoption must be tied back with pre-defining the OA member agendas/goals/aspirations. First own the agenda, then own the adoptions/recommendations.
          • Action: Continue this discussion in today's meeting
          • Amy: Conversation started in the Council. Where the priviledge of adption reside. It is not individulas adopting, rather orgs. Thinking adoption and how to better manage adoption and links for ownership of adoption. Articulating these goals is important. Hot topics/hot list. See action below.
        • Interest Groups are unfocused. OA to come up with ideas for organisational pinpoints for the IGs to be more focused. Bring forward the OA member agendas to influence the directions.E.g. Create a hot list/agenda of needs.
          • Action: Aaron, Amy, Malcolm, Secteratiat to come up with ideas on this point of bringing forward the OA member agendas (hot list). Timeline: First draft in May.
            • Amy: Create a better process. What their needs are. What are your ideas to contribute to such a list?
            • Francoise: In some cases we may find that the topics are already addressed somewhere
            • Fotis: shares screen with analysis of OA members expertise that can be taken into account. Kevin: much more detail needed than this level.
            • Juan: Need a document and then discuss it f2f. Happy to join the group. And then grows. 
        • OA members as organisations may have common interests around the mission of RDA & issues of data sharing.
          • Possible areas of OA interestes: Services, test beds, other directly-felt benefits or returns on investments, first tier benefits. What can organisations offer to other organisations that may also serve to promote adoption and also act as an attraction to other organisations. What is the direct exchange? E.g. a handle service.
          • Action: Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service
            • Jason: Not much time. But created a half page document. Early draft. Create a list of such services/test-beds. And then categorise them. And see whether there is interest. Maintain this over time. Action: Jason to circulate the document and put this document for discussion in the agenda for the next meeting.
            • Raphael: General document but also exploring something concrete: the handle or PID service. Most probably it looks good and we can complement with a concrete example.
        • OA member benefits: early access to information, members first in queue to event, or reduced fees.
          • Fee redcution ideas: Adjusting OA member fees for developing countries; raise fees for other, keep it lower for OA members; Delayed raise in event fees for OA members (i.e. early vs. late registration). Need to explore models.
          • Action: Fab, Mark Leggott (because of P10 in Canada), Kevin + Secretariat (called "Fee model group") to work on event fee reduction models.Open.
  5. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 10'
  6. Next OA(B) meetings, 5'
    • Next call: Propose possible weeks and then create a doodle.
      • Action Fotis: Doodle for 23 June-3rd July.
    • Planning for Canada RDA plenary
  7. AoB, 5'

 

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

May 2017 meeting

(open to all Organisational Members)

Thursday 11 May 2017, 13:00 UTC

Europe and US-east coast friendly timeslot

Original agenda

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/137964821

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 137-964-821
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604, Austria: +43 1 2060 92967, Belgium: +32 28 93 7018, Canada: +1 (647) 497-9391, Denmark: +45 43 31 47 82, Finland: +358 942 45 0453, France: +33 170 950 594, Germany: +49 692 5736 7210, Ireland: +353 15 621 586, Italy: +39 0 291 29 46 30, Netherlands: +31 707 709 523, New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302, Norway: +47 23 16 23 30, Spain: +34 932 75 2004, Sweden: +46 775 757 474, Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78, United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5020, United States: +1 (571) 317-3129

First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

  1. Roll Call - 5'
  2. Minutes from previous meeting  - 10'
    • Barcelona draft minutes
    • Action point list review:
      • From previous meetings:
        • All - Recurring: OA member to be presented/highlighted in the RDA newsletters - Volunteers needed!
        • All- Record OA member expertise for performing commentaries - Fill in survey: https://www.rd-alliance.org/survey-record-oa-members-expertise
          • Already 20 members have filled in their expertise! Analysis needed (new action). Set a target of 75% of OA members filling this survey.
        • Rewards for the ones who perform commentaries - Letter of acknowledgement/formal recognition from Secretary General. Recommendations to appear on ORCID profile (on-going discussions). On-going. See also below.
        • Action Secretariat: Follow-up with Laurel Haak (ORCID) to better connect RDA with ORCID, including possible automatic registration of reviews under the ORCID and/or RDA profile.
          • Challenging with Drupal. Timea and her counterpart at ORCID have agreed to explore it when they have time. Hopefully in the next month or so - On-going.
        • Mark: Work more on adopter registration (who's adopted what outputs): https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendat... - On-going.
          • Action Secretariat: Hilary working on it. 
        • Action Fotis: To get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the TAB LOG output by RDA Europe. On-going
      • From last call:
        • Action OAB-sub-group on industry (Amy, Juan, Fab, Ross): To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry.
          • Action - OA members to propose candidates for the RDA Europe Industrial Advisory Board
          • Action - Amy to plan for a call of the OAB sub-group on industry
      • From Barcelona:
        • See separate agenda item 4.
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
  4. Recap from Barcelona meetings - 30'
    • OA members meeting
      • Reports from Council, TAB, Secretary General
      • Experiences with adoption of RDA outputs - views, ideas, comments:
        • Varying adoption cases, depending on the outputs (from document to reference implementation/code). Some more adoptable than others.
        • Varying experiences: from smooth/easy/fast to more difficult/time-consuming/slow (especially for less concrete outputs). But overall positive experiences!
        • Important to take the recommendations and both adopt/adapt them at the local environments (integrating them in the mainstream jobs/activities of people/organisations)
          • "Articulating intersections" of RDA outputs with other efforts/activities (usually at local level). Or "articulated links to the RDA outputs".
        • Coordinating-linking outputs may be also needed (besides coordinating/linking groups)
        • The implementation of the recommendation may have its own life.
        • Responsiblity of the code related to an output: reference implementation is different from a production running code/service. RDA is not responsible for the running code (usually taken up by an organisation participating in the WG). RDA is only responsible for the output/standard.
        • RDA endorsement may also open doors for funding
    • OAB members meeting
      • Confirmation of new OAB
      • Election of co-chair: Kevin Ashley, Digital Curation Centre, UK
      • Main discussion points:
        • Ownership of adoption must be tied back with pre-defining the OA member agendas/goals/aspirations. First own the agenda, then own the adoptions/recommendations.
          • Action: Continue this discussion in today's meeting
        • Interest Groups are unfocused. OA to come up with ideas for organisational pinpoints for the IGs to be more focused. Bring forward the OA member agendas to influence the directions.E.g. Create a hot list/agenda of needs.
          • Action: Aaron, Amy, Malcolm, Secteratiat to come up with ideas on this point of bringing forward the OA member agendas (hot list). Timeline: First draft in May.
        • OA members as organisations may have common interests around the mission of RDA & issues of data sharing.
          • Possible areas of OA interestes: Services, test beds, other directly-felt benefits or returns on investments, first tier benefits. What can organisations offer to other organisations that may also serve to promote adoption and also act as an attraction to other organisations. What is the direct exchange? E.g. a handle service.
          • Action: Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service
        • OA member benefits: early access to information, members first in queue to event, or reduced fees.
          • Fee redcution ideas: Adjusting OA member fees for developing countries; raise fees for other, keep it lower for OA members; Delayed raise in event fees for OA members (i.e. early vs. late registration). Need to explore models.
          • Action: Fab, Mark Leggott (because of P10 in Canada), Kevin + Secretariat (called "Fee model group") to work on event fee reduction models.Open.
  5. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 10'
  6. Next OA(B) meetings, 5'
    • Next call: Propose possible weeks and then create a doodle.
      • Action Fotis: Doodle for 23 June-3rd July.
    • Planning for Canada RDA plenary
  7. AoB, 5'