OA(B) June 2018 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

June 2018 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 5 June at 21:30 UTC

US friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

Chair: Amy Nurnberger

Recording

Present: Amy Nurnberger, (co-chair), Christine Laney, Christoph Bruch, Francoise Genova (RDA TAB), Hilary Hanahoe (RDA SG), Jason Haga, Kevin Ashley (co-Chair), Lien Le, Mark Leggott, Mathias Bug, Melissa Genazzio, Raphael Ritz, Stefan Kramer, Rob Quick, Ross Dekker, Shelley Stall, and Fotis Karayannis (RDA Secretariat). Note: Amy, Francoise, Jason and Hilary were joining from Troy, US, immediately after the RDA Council meeting had been finished .

  1. Roll call, Amy, co-Chair 5'
    • Total: 43 Org members and 8 Affiliates=51 members
    • Introduction of first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly
      • CESSDA: Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives. Representative: Ron Dekker - Director
        • CESSDA is a consortium of 17 member countries, mainly in Europe. Each member country has a national data service provider. CESSDA focuses on social data. In our strategy we have 4 pilars: 1) technology 2) trust, 3) training and 4) tools and services. Each of these has working groups, which are relevant to several RDA groups. So therefore I believe it was a good plan to join RDA as an organisational member. Currently we are in Milan having a conference with potential new partners from central and southern Europe, which is part of our development plan to attract new members.
      • German Data Forum, Mathias Bug
        • The German Data Forum accreditates data centres in Germany, especially from administrative statistics and research. And founded a network of currently 31 data centres throughout Germany. We are taking part in RDA activities for the last 3-4 years.
      • Christine Laney, Battelle-NEON
    • Call for any other business items
  2. Minutes from January meeting  - 5'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA SG and Council update Hilary, Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
      • Update from RDA Secretary General, Hilary Hanahoe
        • Just finished a 2-day intense RDA Council meeting in Troy, US, hosted by RDA US. Hot off the press updates, around the 4 RDA Council strategic pillars, both on business and work, namely, 1) Regional engagement, 2) The value of RDA 3) RDA Growth and Governance 4) Organisational and financial sustainability.
        • RDA regional engagement
          • We have setup a Task Force with a series of different interfaces to interact with regions, to possibly formalize the relationships with RDA, including the framework and the agreements. The Task Force started in Berlin focusing on the brain work on what the regional engagement would look like for the regions and RDA, and what the corresponding benefits and value would be. Discussed this topic also at this Council meeting. And now we go back to do some more work and possibly in Botswana it will be more clear and open. What is important to highlight for organisational members is that this work will be very useful and will be used to identify the value for organisations and how RDA can make it even better for individual member and as a group. The other part discussed was what a region means. It can be considered as a formal representation from a geographical point of view. There are a couple of regions inside the EU which may end up becoming an RDA region. It is a very important and good step on the road to sustainability and improving the value of the RDA organisation and also clarifying where the different parts of the landscape are sitting.
        • Value of RDA for different types of organisations
          • We will be working further on this quite intensively in the short term, identifying different type of value for different stakeholders, such as funders, regions, organisations, individuals and what they get interacting with us and what RDA gets, and document all this. That feeds in also improving the relationships with established organisations.
        • RDA Growth and Governance
          • RDA Governance document is being updated. And OA/OAB are included in this document. A new version will go out quickly now.
          • RDA growth are also part of the same activity. We talked a lot moving from the current structure to a more professional organisation and a timeline around that. I would better talk about Consolidation instead of Growth.If we consolidate and professionalise well, we can then exploit the benefits of that and have an impact on the growth.
        • Sustainability:
          • In terms of organisational and financial sustainability, we believe that these are linked with the above 3 areas, and in partcular the value. Understanding the differnet revenue streams, their levels and how they can be improved is important and whether we need to look for other ones. There will be communications going out in the interim before plenaries and we use the plenaries as milestones and to update all members present.
        • Questions-Remarks:
          • Kevin: Need to seek for a significant income growth from different sources.
            • Hilary: Yes, significant income needed for sustainability. Need to map a road to that!
        • RDA facilitating standards - Possible MoUs (IEEE, ITU) - Hilary:
          • RDA is not a standards body. There is a mechanism in Europe for recognising some of the outputs as "ICT technical specifications" that can be cited in public procurement. It can be considered as an important quality stamp for the RDA outputs. We recognise that the measure of success is really how many times these ICT specifications are cited (and not to become ICT specifications). The RDA Europe 4 project will try to identify how to measure that. This activity has been going on since the end of 2015. The RDA Secretariat is working to facilitate this work (taking the outputs to this track). And RDA is recognised by this grouping which includes standard bodies as being an organisation that has the correct processes, procedures and quality assurance in place to produce them. So having gone this process for the first time, we get a fast track now for the recognition of RDA outputs as ICT technical specifications.
          • Another relevant point around standards is that we are now starting discussions with the Internantional Telecommunications Union (ITU) on a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on how to work on joint acitivites, such as they are engaged in our WGs or we could faciliate and support our groups with information from ITU. That is the only the beginning.
          • Also a longer discussion with IEEE about an MoU along the same lines, which is not yet concluded.
        • Other points
          • Wellcome Trust is expected to become a supporter of RDA directly. And there is also a proposal to include them as an Organisational member. The agreement is not finalised yet, but important to inform you.
          • I presented to the Council today the structure of International Data Week (IDW) that includes the RDA Plenary and which will take place in Botswana 5-9 of November 2018. It will be quite different from the last one in Denver; very content-rich, alternating between RDA and the SciDataCon conferene in each day. There will be lot of opportunities to meet different stakeholders, and the SciDataCon conference of great relevance which includes peer-reviewed publications will add great value to the RDA plenary. We also need to specify the date and meeting space for the Organisational Assembly meeting  Members.
          • Regarding the point of the secretariat improving and strengthening its support to the organisational members: we value you very much and can do a lot more, but stuck with resources and also having a difficult support model. But it is one of my priorities to do what we can with the resources that we have to support the organisations and the OA/OAB. If you have any ideas please contact me, the co-chairs or Fotis.
        • Further comments/questions/additions:
          • Kevin: On the last point; we discussed it briefly in the Berlin meeting. May think again what only the secretariat can do for us. Amy: yes, one point being done by the secretariat is keeping minutes. So the question is whether OAB members can help taking up this in a rotating fashion.
            • Mark and Rob: this is reasonable.
            • Kevin-Amy: Temporary measure which would allow the secretariat members to focus on other points like special communications to OA members or updating the RDA Organisational Membership document, which also requires updating besides the general RDA governance document.
      • Other points from the Council meeting-Amy:
        • Process for identifying risks for RDA organisations and potential mitigations.
        • Hilary as the new secretary general has been working on 6 main areas: secretariat, membership, outreach, general RDA organisation, administration and Council. administration, council. And as part of this there is a discussion on the financial situation, current and what is needed for the future. Happy to hear that SG and Council focus on.
        • Ingrid Dillo has been elected as a new Council co-Chair, starting on the 1st of September, replacing Fran Berman, USA. Ingrid was interim SG, also worked in TAB and DANS.
        • Thinking about issues and risks for the organisation, is that the RDA foundation has been named as the data controller, according to the GDPR regulation.
        • Regaring the timing of the Organisation Assembly in P12 in Botswana: what worked well in the last 2-3 plenary meetings, is that the OA meetings took place following the close of the RDA plenaries. Shall we continue with this habit?
          • The feedback from members present was all positive, despite the fact that some members won't be attending the plenary.
          • Another point raised by Francoise (TAB co-Chair) is that the RDA TAB debrief meeting take place at the same time, but this conflict can be managed as done the last time in Berlin, i.e. a TAB co-Chair stepping out for a short while to attend part of the OA meeting.
          • Proposed decision: The RDA Organisational Assemblyin Botswana to take place immediately after the close of the RDA plenary on Friday the 9th of November. 
      • Other points from OAB members:
        • Raphael Ritz: Recently had the final review of RDA EU 3 project, and one of the feedback received was to consider strengthening the ties with CODATA. As you know we have joint WG/IGs, e.g. the certification activities have been joint activities from the onset. But we have nothing similar in the CODATA side. They also have similar activities, so they proposed to us to consider being engaged in their activities. Has this been shared with the Council and does this resonate well?
          • Hilary: The review report was not shared nor discussed yet, because of having already many items in the agenda. This will be done later on. In terms of CODATA directly, Simon and I have spoken. CODATA is an RDA affiliate having a related agreement/MoU that it is rather loose. But we are also having other practical activities, like the IDW and also joing groups and data schools. Regarding how to leverage upon our relationships and synergies in terms of sharing resources. Did not come into a conclusion yet. Nor on how RDA experts can be engaged in CODATA. And then who from RDA will represent RDA in CODATA groups. There is a strong relationship with CODATA.
        • Amy:
          • Regarding P13 that will take place in Philadelphia in April 2019, there is a proposal being discussed with regards to the registration fees, i.e. having specific (flat) rates for Organisational members (essentialy the early bird fees) to be discussed with organisers.
          • Jason Haga has become a new RDA Council member, and after discussions at the Council meeting regarding the RDA Governance document it was made clear that it is difficult for a single person to represent differnet RDA governance bodies (RDA Councila and OAB), so Jason will be stepping down from OAB, but will stay in the OA.
            • Raphael: We will miss you from the OAB!
              • Decision: Jason Haga will be stepping down from the OAB but will remain a member in the OA (and also keep the project on the OM2OM services).
    • RDA TAB - Francoise (Apologies from Andrew) - 10'
      • New TAB activity summary:
        • If you go to the TAB page, at the bottom you will find a link with the summary of TAB recent activities. This is becuase we were asked to have provide more transparency, as we deal with evaluations and discussions of groups, people etc. so we would be preparing a summary of our activities each month.
      • TAB has several case statements to review
      • There is an upcoming RDA WG/IG Chairs collaboration meeting in Vienna 13-15 June. Andrew is going to represent TAB. Some of the topics of the meeting include the outputs of RDA, what groups we have, how to follow-up of WGs after the end of the groups. In addition, also a roadmapping exercise of RDA and description of RDA. Different proposals and difficult to conclude.
      • Big topic for TAB in the coming 1-2 months is the scheduling of the sessions for the next plenary. Huge job. We want to improve the description of the Plenary sessions,  which is the public face of the RDA, so that people are able to choose where to go. Especially to improve BoFs. Session call closes 29 June. We will work also with the Secretariat on this.
      • Also TAB elections like every year.
      • The list of TAB activities presented in the first point will be published near the beginning of every month, including the report from the previous month. We don't have more TAB or secretariat resources for more detailed reports.
        • Kevin: great news that TAB will be producing these reports! Francoise: Yes, it has been repeatedly requested and we have to listen to the membership requests!
    • RDA OAB - Other - 5'
      • Update on the Berlin industrial pre-plenary events - Raphael Ritz (item postponed from Berlin) - Public report
        • First of all apologies for not being able to present it in Berlin, as there was a conflict with the regional meeting.
        • I will make a brief presentation. For more details, you can check the extensive report, which Peter Wittenburg produced.
        • The events took place on Monday 19-Tuesday 20 March in Berlin. It was a collection of several events:
          • Hackathon led by IEEE Big Data Governance and Metadata Data Management group, in particular Wu Chang from NIST. The topic was "Governance and metadata management at scale"
          • 2 tutorial tracks: "Machine learning" and "Real time data processing".
          • Also focused sessions on various specific topics.
          • Award ceremony on a competition on smart data use: asking for innovative business models. 3 SMEs from different areas of activities were awarded: plasma medicine to film dubbing, and civil engineering and construction. I also had the opportunity to pitch for RDA and the RDA OA and the value for SMEs and big business representatives.
          •  As a course summary of the discussions of the second day, on one hand the issues were legal and organisational, metadata, accessibility, standards interoperability. Same problem domain, but the way approached much different from us. IBM, Oracle etc. they apply top-down approaches and this is in contrast with scientific organisations, but also startups-SMEs. One line that can be agreed and taken forward was to identify generic components to help solve any of these specific questions. E.g. Data Fabric topics (PIDs assignment, handling, annotations, etc.), i.e. in the digital object architecture domain So not unlikely to see further ollaboration.
            • Kevin: Really pleased to see the link of the report in the agenda. Announce it further. Hilary: Action: Secretariat/Communications to promote the industrial pre-plenary events' report further. Raphael: it may be slightly updated as we received some proposed corrections, but would be happy to promote it further.
            • Rob: Rapid project (RPID) is trying to implement the Digital Object Architecture, which is also referred to in the report. I would be happy to talk about this. We have grants on this. Also active in C2CAMP etc.
    • RDA Secretariat - Hilary, Fotis - 5'
      • RDA Organisational Membership Process document update plan
      • RDA "Newsletter" (in the form of e-mail)
        • Covered above
      • Fotis: Regarding the issue raised before, given my reduced time in RDA Europe 4, I am willing to continue doing the old and some new activities and see how things go for a couple of months, as this is a new thing. Amy: Appreciate this, but it would good to experiment this new way, focusing on the new activities and allow some help in some areas such as the minute taking.
  4. Organisational Assembly "projects" - Old and New - 40' 
    • Old - 20'
      • OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisation member services), Jason Haga, Raphael Ritz  - document  
        • Amy: Jason will continue on this as OA member (despite stepping down from OAB).
        • Jason: Context for new members Offer for a discount or for free services from OMs to other OMs and possibly push the adoption of the RDA outputs.
          • Update after Berlin:
            • We have a list of Organisational Members
            • OAB members (only OAB, not the whole OA) were asked to fill in in an on-line sheet the persons with who they have personal links. Now there is a short list of contacts - Link
            • The next step is to contact those people and explain what we are attempting to do and explore the possibilities of offering OM2OM services (at a discount or for free).
              • Examples of such OM2OM services discussed before include the Handle service (that provides a way to automatically assign globally unique citable identifiers, based on Handle technology) and priviledged access to DMPonline.
            • From now until Botswana do this exercise and come up with such a list of services and discuss it in Botswana.
          • Amy: Action all members: Check the OM2OM contacts spreadsheet  (Link) and fill in your name in case you have a contact in another organisational member
      • Reduced fees for plenaries - Kevin
        • Update after Berlin - In essence: Early bird registration for OMs to valid all the way
        • Kevin: Action OAB co-chairs: to make a proposal on reduced plenary fees for OMs (e.g. early bird all the way) to the RDA plenary organisers in Philadelphia (P12) and come back to you
      • OM topics of interest/pain points list/hotlist
        • Update after Berlin. Take into account the idea raised in Berlin of using OMs as a network of influence.
        • Not discussed
      • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs, Initial document, (Andrew not available) 
        • Amy: Malcolm not available any more in the OA as having other priorities. So, need a hand-in to work with Andrew on what makes an output adoptable, if this is still a priority.
        • Kevin: Yes, but may not be clear of what the workload would be. 
        • Amy: Read the Initial document and come back in 2 weeks with an answer on whether you volunteer
        • Action Fotis: Circulate the request on who wants to work with Andrew on "what makes an output adoptable" to the whole Organisational Assembly and ask for volunteers (at least one is needed). 
        • Fotis: Does the OA wants to consider inviting external experts such as Anthony from RDA US?
          • Hilary: Anthony is not in the secretariat, but can be invited for specific topics. 
          • Amy: Valid option and can consider external experts or inputs. But also need an OA member to provide the OA perspective. 
        • Update after Berlin - News from Berlin related BoF - Notes
          • Main ponts from the BoF related breakout session on Adoption of outputs
            • Increase transparency, clarity, searchability, and findability of the issues which an output is addressing
              • State the issues more directly
            • Ask previous adopters who might also benefit from adopting. Also for adoption reports.
            • RDA Stackexchange-ish forum surrounding RDA outputs, issues, or output applicability (suitable for questions that are asked multiple times).
            • The bureaucracy and complexity of the working group and interest group process is a barrier to submitting issues to be solved by RDA as well as getting involved in the community to point people towards outputs and recommendations.
            • Issue tracker for working groups
            • Need to have both general and focused descriptions
          • Anthony Juehne (RDA/US) is doing some things on Outputs adoption and impact, AFAIK. I need to get back in touch with him
    • New - 20'
      • Tracks of interest for RDA Organisations ("swimm lanes")
        • Amy: Point raised in Berlin.  
          • Context: Because of the RDA growth issue and also that people may leave and have to be re-trained. It would be good to establish pathways/tracks/swim lanes for types of organisations and areas of interest/roles, e.g. if you are a National Data Service, this may be a set of themes/groups that you may want to join.Or if you have a PID interest, then you can follow these groups. Possibly also tag the RDA Plenary sessions by theme/track.
          • Question: Is it something we should do?
            • Kevin: Yes, but first understand the timing of this. Probably we need this, after the TAB decision process on the sessions. Getting a steer from TAB/Secretariat and then get a volunteer.
            • Francoise: The outcomes of the Botswana session requests will be made public by the secretariat on the 8th of August. We can have a discussion with the OA Chairs.
            • Amy: Do preparatory work for work on the swim lanes and then after 8th of August work on it.
            • Hilary: some regions or secretariat are doing work on this. Make sure that we investigate this in advance. 
            • Actions:
              • Action OAB co-Chairs to discuss with TAB co-Chairs on the swimm lanes idea and do prep work before the 8th of August. And then consider volunteers.
              • Action Fotis: Send reminders on the above and include the issue in the agenda for the next secretariat calls (and check the work that has been done on swimm lanes in regions and or secretariat) 
      • Articulation of an ambassadorial strategy from an OM perspective. 
        • Point raised in Berlin.
          • Spread the word about RDA and the Org. Membership, in a formal or informal way. But have a strategy. Need to articulate an ambassadorial strategy from an OM perspective. Consider an OM slide deck to attract new members (1-3 slides).
          • Francoise: Important and very useufl to have a "corporate" slide deck. I will be talking to (research) stakeholders as part of a National Node. Always use the RDA in a nutshell but would be good to have such an extra deck about Organisational Membership. Possibly need to revise the deck for other target audiences, e.g. private entities.
          • Amy: Yes, may need 3-4 decks for different audiences/needs/values
          • Hilary: yes, good idea. Possibly get quotes to allow visibility and also bring value. It is a two way thing.
          • Action Secretariat and Communications people: to prepare a first slide deck for attracting new Organisational members by end of June.
          • Action Fotis: Discuss the issue of preparing a slide deck for attracting new OMs in the next secretariat call.
      • Update OA membership process document
      • Geographic Diversity: Tiered Organisational Member fees based on region (specifically South America, Africa, Middle East/Asia)
        • Amy: Point discussed in Berlin. 
          • RDA is currently more EU-, NorthAmerican- and Australia-centric. Is there a plan to engage more actively with other areas of the world? Even if they can’t provide the OM fee. Stefan: Maybe a fee structure per continent. Fee is trivial is for US. But not for others. Consider seats for other international, waive or reduce the fee from South American or African institutes.
          • Amy: Proposals of how the fees could look like. Modifying the fees.
          • Kevin: Closely align this with the regional work. If tiered costs, also apply this here. We may work on this and make a proposal to the regional group.
          • Action. Include this point in the list of projects looking for expertise/volunteers.
  5. OA Membership and OAB nominations- 5'
    • OA Ambassadors - Attracting new OA members
      • Stimulate more organisations from both academia and industry to join as Organisational Members 
    • OAB Nominations - How to get more OA people to volunteer for OAB
      • Action Fotis: Move this item on OA ambassadors and OAB nominations to the next call's agenda. 
  6. AoB - Next meeting 5'
    • Next meeting: 3rd of July ~12-13 UTC.
  7. Actions
    • Berlin
      • Action: Include an agenda item for the next teclo to discuss if the OA can work in this area and identify themes/tracks of interest for particular organisations - See agenda item 4
      • Action: Cooperation w regional entities is very important of OM, the process concerning that should be more inclusive wrt the OA - See agenda item 3
      • Action: OA members to share ideas on how to approach the issue of RDA growth - See also agenda item 3
      • Action: Continue with the same group on Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs . Ask Stefanie and Anthony (RDA US) to provide some feedback from the Berlin-related BoF and then the group will come back with something - See agenda item 4
      • Action: OM2OM services item to be followed up in the next meeting. OMs to think about this point - See agenda item 4
      • Action: Kevin to share with the OA information about the reduced fees for plenaries for OMs - See agenda item 4
      • OM topics of interest/pain points list/hotlist: Action Amy: Take into account the idea of using OMs as a network of influence in this OM project- See agenda item 4
      • Action: Discuss the point of Berlin pre-plenary industrial events in the next call - See agenda item 3
      • ActionBetter articulation of ambassadorial strategy from an OM perspective. Consider an OM slide deck to attract new members (1-3 slides) - See agenda item 4
      • Action -Chairs: OAB to rethink how to best use the secretariat time - See agenda item 3
      • Action: We should retake up this conversation re: a tiered OM fee structure based on region (specifically South America, Africa, Middle East/Asia)
    • February
      • Action: Kevin to circulate the first draft text on the Council Governance document on OA-OAB. Kevin: not yet ready for wider circulation. Take this off the list.
      • Action: Fotis to circulate the RDA Europe Sustainability document to the OAB private list and also check how to distribute it to OA members (as document is private) - Closed
      • Action: Raphael Raphael to liaise with Berlin industrial pre-plenary organisers to include an OA pitch presentation as a means to on-board new members. - Closed

 

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

June 2018 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 5 June at 21:30 UTC

US friendly timeslot

Original agenda

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 5 June 2018, 14:30:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 5 June 2018, 15:30:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 5 June 2018, 17:30:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Tuesday, 5 June 2018, 18:30:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 5 June 2018, 22:30:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 5 June 2018, 23:30:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Athens (Greece) Wednesday, 6 June 2018, 00:30:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Wednesday, 6 June 2018, 06:30:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Wednesday, 6 June 2018, 07:30:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington) Wednesday, 6 June 2018, 09:30:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 5 June 2018, 21:30:00    

UTC

Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.
Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer.

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604  Austria: +43 7 2081 5427 Belgium: +32 28 93 7018 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82 Finland: +358 923 17 0568 France: +33 170 950 594 Germany: +49 692 5736 7317 Ireland: +353 15 360 728 Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01 Netherlands: +31 207 941 377 New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302  Norway: +47 21 93 37 51 Spain: +34 932 75 2004  Sweden: +46 853 527 827 
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088 United States: +1 (571) 317-3129

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

 

  1. Roll call, Amy, co-Chair 5'
    • New members - CESSDA: Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives. Representative: Ron Dekker - Director
      • Total: 43 Org members and 8 Affiliates=51 members
    • Introduction of other first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly
    • Call for any other business items
  2. Minutes from January meeting  - 5'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA SG and Council update Hilary, Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
      • RDA regional engagement group efforts
      • Value of RDA for different types of orgs
      • RDA Growth
      • RDA Governance document update
      • RDA facilitating standards - Possible MoUs (IEEE, ITU)
      • Other
    • RDA Secretariat - Hilary, Fotis - 5'
      • RDA Organisational Membership Process document update plan
      • RDA "Newsletter" (in the form of e-mail)
      • Other
    • RDA TAB - Francoise? (Apologies from Andrew) - 10'
    • RDA OAB - Other - 5'
      • Update on the Berlin industrial pre-plenary events - Raphael (item postponed from Berlin) - Public report
  4. Organisational Assembly "projects" - Old and New - 40' 
    • Old - 20'
      • OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisation member services), Jason Haga, Raphael Ritz  - document  
        • Update after Berlin:
          • OAB members (only OAB, not the whole OA) were asked to fill in an on-line sheet with people having personal links with other members. 
          • Now there is a short list of contacts - Link
          • The next step is to contact those people and explain what we are attempting to do and explore the possibilities of offering OM2OM services (at a discount or for free).
          • Examples of such OM2OM services discussed before include the Handle service (that provides a way to automatically assign globally unique citable identifiers, based on Handle technology) and priviledged access to DMPonline.
          • Next steps and timeline
      • Reduced fees for plenaries - Kevin
        • Update after Berlin - In essence: Early bird registration for OMs to valid all the way
      • OM topics of interest/pain points list/hotlist
        • Update after Berlin. Take into account the idea raised in Berlin of using OMs as a network of influence.
      • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs, Initial document, (Andrew not available) 
        • Update after Berlin - News from Berlin related BoF - Notes
          • Main ponts from the BoF related breakout session on Adoption of outputs
            • Increase transparency, clarity, searchability, and findability of the issues which an output is addressing
              • State the issues more directly
            • Ask previous adopters who might also benefit from adopting. Also for adoption reports.
            • RDA Stackexchange-ish forum surrounding RDA outputs, issues, or output applicability (suitable for questions that are asked multiple times).
            • The bureaucracy and complexity of the working group and interest group process is a barrier to submitting issues to be solved by RDA as well as getting involved in the community to point people towards outputs and recommendations.
            • Issue tracker for working groups
            • Need to have both general and focused descriptions
          • Anthony Juehne (RDA/US) is doing some things on Outputs adoption and impact, AFAIK. I need to get back in touch with him
    • New - 20'
      • Tracks of interest for RDA Organisations ("swimm lanes")
        • Point raised in Berlin. 
          • Because of the RDA growth issue and also that people may leave and have to be re-trained. It would be good to establish pathways/tracks/swim lanes for types of organisations and areas of interest/roles, e.g. if you are a National Data Service, this may be a set of themes/groups that you may want to join.Or if you have a PID interest, then you can follow these groups. Possibly also tag the RDA Plenary sessions by theme/track.
      • Articulation of an ambassadorial strategy from an OM perspective. 
        • Point raised in Berlin.
          • Spread the word about RDA and the Org. Membership, in a formal or informal way. But have a strategy. Need to articulate an ambassadorial strategy from an OM perspective. Consider an OM slide deck to attract new members (1-3 slides).
      • Update OA membership process document
      • Geographic Diversity: Tiered Organisational Member fees based on region (specifically South America, Africa, Middle East/Asia)
        • Point raised in Berlin. 
          • RDA is currently more EU-, NorthAmerican- and Australia-centric. Is there a plan to engage more actively with other areas of the world? Even if they can’t provide the OM fee. Stefan: Maybe a fee structure per continent. Fee is trivial is for US. But not for others. Consider seats for other international, waive or reduce the fee from South American or African institutes.
  5. OA Membership and OAB nominations- 5'
    • OA Ambassadors - Attracting new OA members
      • Stimulate more organisations from both academia and industry to join as Organisational Members 
    • OAB Nominations - How to get more OA people to volunteer for OAB
  6. AoB - Next meeting 5'
    • Next meeting: 3rd of July ~12-13 UTC.
  7. Actions
    • Berlin
      • Action: Include an agenda item for the next teclo to discuss if the OA can work in this area and identify themes/tracks of interest for particular organisations - See agenda item 4
      • Action: Cooperation w regional entities is very important of OM, the process concerning that should be more inclusive wrt the OA - See agenda item 3
      • Action: OA members to share ideas on how to approach the issue of RDA growth - See also agenda item 3
      • Action: Continue with the same group on Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs . Ask Stefanie and Anthony (RDA US) to provide some feedback from the Berlin-related BoF and then the group will come back with something - See agenda item 4
      • Action: OM2OM services item to be followed up in the next meeting. OMs to think about this point - See agenda item 4
      • Action: Kevin to share with the OA information about the reduced fees for plenaries for OMs - See agenda item 4
      • OM topics of interest/pain points list/hotlist: Action Amy: Take into account the idea of using OMs as a network of influence in this OM project- See agenda item 4
      • Action: Discuss the point of Berlin pre-plenary industrial events in the next call - See agenda item 3
      • ActionBetter articulation of ambassadorial strategy from an OM perspective. Consider an OM slide deck to attract new members (1-3 slides) - See agenda item 4
      • Action -Chairs: OAB to rethink how to best use the secretariat time - See agenda item 3
      • Action: We should retake up this conversation re: a tiered OM fee structure based on region (specifically South America, Africa, Middle East/Asia)
    • February
      • Action: Kevin to circulate the first draft text on the Council Governance document on OA-OAB.
      • Action: Fotis to circulate the RDA Europe Sustainability document to the OAB private list and also check how to distribute it to OA members (as document is private) - Closed
      • Action: Raphael Raphael to liaise with Berlin industrial pre-plenary organisers to include an OA pitch presentation as a means to on-board new members. - Closed