OA(B) June 2017 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

June 2017 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 27 June 2017, 21:00 UTC

US friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

  1. Roll Call - 5'
    • Present: Amy, Andrew (TAB), Anita de Waard (on behalf of Wouter Haak), Jason, Malcolm, Matt, Siddeswara, Lynn and Fotis (Secretariat)
    • Approval to record meeting
    • OA statistics: 53 members: 45 Organisational Members and 8 Affiliate Members, https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organ...
    • Introduction of first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly: MIT Libraries. Amy. Action: Contact Columbia for a new rep.
  2. Minutes from previous meeting  - 10'
    • May draft minutes - Approved.
    • Announcements:
      • The RDA Newsletter wants to highlight *your* organisation! Tell your RDA story today - contact enquiries@rd-alliance or Fotis. Fotis: This month RDC will be highlighted.
      • Does your organisation have a new area of expertise or interest? Update your profile here to receive targeted invitations to comment on new proposals: https://www.rd-alliance.org/survey-record-oa-members-expertise
    • Action items - see at the end (will review as we come to them in the agenda)
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
  4. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10' (TAB/Lynn)
  5. Items for discussion:
    • Useful communications for organisations, and their distribution
      • Amy:
        • What communications may be of interest for OA members, in terms of content and format.
          • Andrew: What is the difference with regular RDA comms? Amy: more targeted to OA orgs.
      • Guidelines for OA Reps for distributing these to their organisations
      • Recommended practices for OA Reps for engaging their organisations around theses communications: connecting RDA solutions to the people in the organisation working on these challenges
        • Anita: Not necessary to have separate comms. Unless there is something targeted.
        • Andrew: Targetting the messages for specific audiences. But also the other way.
        • Jason: I think that this links with the third bullet below around shares services. E.g. types of services that other orgs are offering, with tangible benefits. 
    • OA report on recommendation adoptability
      • Amy:
        • What makes a recommendation 'adoptable'
          • A list of recommendations as guidance on how a recommendation should look like
          • Andrew: For TAB, great idea! Happy to contribute to this from TAB perspective.
          • Similar to guidelines for Chairs as Lynn said. Andrew: Note that this document should be considered as a living one.
        • What types of involvement should organisations expect to have in groups in order to enable adoptability?
        • Telling adoption stories
          • Action: 2-3 member group: half to one page, bulleted style: Guidance: What makes a recommendation 'adoptable'.  And then TAB to provide feedback.
            • Andrew, Malcolm, Siddeswara to start something. But wider OA can also contribute.
    • Continued development of OA member benefits
      • Shared services (Jason, Raphael) -
        • General policy general services offered from OA members to other OA members
        • Jason: Explains the document: Identify any goods/services/testbeds/etc. that can be made available to other organizational members at a discount or for free.
        • Action: Give two weeks for comments
        • Example from Raphael: Handle service. No news from Raphael.
        • Action: Create a page with such services/testbeds/ideas and after dealing with the processes. Action: This can act as an adendum to Jason's document .
        • Andrew: This was discussed at the Gothenburg WG/IG Chairs and they felt in an similar way.
        • Jason: Possibly also discounts from publishers for publications. Action: Amy to discuss with Jason and Raphael and possibly publishing members.
      • Plenary Fee model (Secretariat, Kevin, Fab, Mark Leggott) - No news.
      • Privileged access to outputs/recommendations, e.g. Scholix - No news.
    • Aligning RDA activities and OA member agendas/goals/aspirations
      • Hot list (Amy, Malcolm, Aaron, Juan)
        • Malcolm: Create the hot list and then discuss. Tiie it to the membership fees (for org. members).
        • Malcolm shares screen (check recording). But make sure that the big budget orgs do not run the show.
        • Jason: Similar idea: https://www.lora-alliance.org/Join/Membership-Benefits.
        • Amy: Talk about these ideas in July. And agree: need to balance the point of big orgs run the show.
        • Malcolm: We need to make as visible as possible the benefits that members get with the fees they pay.
    • Remaining Action Item updates
  6. Next OA(B) meetings, 5'
    • Next call: Propose possible weeks and then create a doodle.
    • Planning for Canada RDA plenary. Identify proposed day/time for OA slot.
      • Possible slots (plenary is Tuesday-Thursday noon):
        • Monday afternoon (clashing with TAB/Chairs meeting and Funders forum)
        • Thursday afternoon (after the end of the plenary)
        • Friday morning.
      • Action: Fotis to create two doodles one for OA and one for OAB (during lunch).
  7. AoB, 5'
  8. Action Item Review, 5' (Chair)
Responsibility Item description Date created

Status /Date

Secretariat

Follow-up with Laurel Haak (ORCID) to better connect RDA with ORCID, including possible automatic registration of reviews under the ORCID and/or RDA profile. Challenging with Drupal. Timea and her counterpart at ORCID have agreed to explore it when they have time.

Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: The Orcid ID was added to the indivdual member profiles. Otherwise the action is postponed.

Amy: Update your Orcid IDs. Keep it open. Pablon.

201612 Open Updated 2017-05
Secretariat

Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

Action: Follow-up and close it by next

201612 Open
Fotis Get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge output. It was presented in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June '17. In better shape in summer. Link: http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/   201700 Open Updated 2017-05-11
OA: Industry sub-group

To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

201703 Open
Secretariat, OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in May 201704 Open
OAB: Jason, Raphael

Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). Jason to circulate the document and put this document for discussion in the agenda for the next meeting

201704

Open Updated 2017-05-11

OA: Fab, Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction

models

201704 Open
Secretariat, OAB Chairs

Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements

Fotis: There is already an internal OA(B) tracking database, which can be updated with additional information. Take this off-line with Chairs.

201704 Open
Fotis Set up Doodle & call for June. 201705 Closed

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

June 2017 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 27 June 2017, 21:00 UTC

US friendly timeslot

Draft agenda

 

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 14:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 15:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 17:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 18:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 22:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 23:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Athens (Greece) Wednesday, 28 June 2017, 00:00:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Wednesday, 28 June 2017, 06:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Wednesday, 28 June 2017, 07:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Wednesday, 28 June 2017, 09:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 21:00:00  

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/163380933

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 163-380-933
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604, Austria: +43 1 2060 92967, Belgium: +32 28 93 7018, Canada: +1 (647) 497-9391, Denmark: +45 43 31 47 82, Finland: +358 942 45 0453, France: +33 170 950 594, Germany: +49 692 5736 7210, Ireland: +353 15 621 586, Italy: +39 0 291 29 46 30, Netherlands: +31 707 709 523, New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302, Norway: +47 23 16 23 30, Spain: +34 932 75 2004, Sweden: +46 775 757 474, Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78, United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5020, United States: +1 (571) 317-3129

First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

                    

  1. Roll Call - 5'
  2. Minutes from previous meeting  - 10'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
  4. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10' (TAB/Lynn)
  5. Items for discussion:
    • Useful communications for organisations, and their distribution
      • What communications
        • Content
        • Format
      • Guidelines for OA Reps for distributing these to their organisations
      • Recommended practices for OA Reps for engaging their organisations around theses communications: connecting RDA solutions to the people in the organisation working on these challenges
    • OA report on recommendation adoptability
      • What makes a recommendation 'adoptable'
      • What types of involvement should organisations expect to have in groups in order to enable adoptability?
      • Telling adoption stories
    • Continued development of OA member benefits
      • Shared services (Jason, Raphael) -
        • General policy general services offered from OA members to other OA members
      • Plenary Fee model (Secretariat, Kevin, Fab, Mark Leggott)
      • Privileged access to outputs/recommendations, e.g. Scholix (Mark Parsons)
    • Aligning RDA activities and OA member agendas/goals/aspirations
      • Hot list (Amy, Malcolm, Aaron, Juan)
    • Remaining Action Item updates
  6. Next OA(B) meetings, 5'
    • Next call: Propose possible weeks and then create a doodle.
    • Planning for Canada RDA plenary. Identify proposed day/time for OA slot.
      • Possible slots (plenary is Tuesday-Thursday noon):
        • Monday afternoon (clashing with TAB/Chairs meeting and Funders forum)
        • Thursday afternoon (after the end of the plenary)
        • Other?
  7. AoB, 5'
  8. Action Item Review, 5' (Chair)
Responsibility Item description Date created

Status /Date

Secretariat

Follow-up with Laurel Haak (ORCID) to better connect RDA with ORCID, including possible automatic registration of reviews under the ORCID and/or RDA profile. Challenging with Drupal. Timea and her counterpart at ORCID have agreed to explore it when they have time.

Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: The Orcid ID was added to the indivdual member profiles. Otherwise the action is postponed.

201612 Open Updated 2017-05
Secretariat

Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become and adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

201612 Open?
Fotis Get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge output. It was presented in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June '17. In better shape in summer. Link: http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/   201700 Open Updated 2017-05-11
OA: Industry sub-group

To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

201703 Open
Secretariat, OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in May 201704 Open
OAB: Jason, Raphael

Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). Jason to circulate the document and put this document for discussion in the agenda for the next meeting

201704

Open Updated 2017-05-11

OA: Fab, Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction

models

201704 Open
Secretariat, OAB Chairs

Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements

Fotis: There is already an internal OA(B) tracking database, which can be updated with additional information. Take this off-line with Chairs.

201704 Open
Fotis Set up Doodle & call for June. 201705 Closed