OA(B) July 2019 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

July 2019 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 16 July 2019, 13:00 UTC

Draft minutes

  1. Roll call & introduction of new members
    • Present: Kevin Ashley (OAB Chair), Amy Nurnberger (OAB co-Chair), Hilary Hanahoe (Secretary General), Anders Conrad (DeIC), Christoph Bruch (Helmholtz), Eulalia Claros (EPRS) Joanna Apap (EPRS), Jennifer Moore (WUSTL), Mathias Bug (RatSWD) Mohamed Baessa (KAUST), Rebecca Koskela (DataONE), Rob Quick (Indiana), Ron Dekker (CESSDA), Fotis Karayannis (RDA Secretariat/OA Liaison).
    • Kevin Ashley chaired the meeting.
    • Approval to record meeting - approved.
    • Introdcution of first-time attendees and recent Organisational Members representatives
    • Reminder for all members to check and update their logos, representatives and web descriptions (some are still missing).
    • Standing items:
      • The RDA Newsletter wants to highlight *your* organisation! Tell your RDA story today - contact enquiries@rd-alliance.org or Fotis.
        • AARnet volunteered for October 2019
      • Does your organisation have a new area of expertise or interest? Update your profile here to receive targeted invitations to comment on new proposals: https://www.rd-alliance.org/survey-record-oa-members-expertise
      • Action items - see at the end (will review as we come to them in the agenda)
    • Agenda approval - Approved and call for any other business items (AoB)
    • Minutes from previous meetings to be approved off-line. Action Fotis: Circulate the draft minutes from last two meetings for approval. 
  2. Document on value of RDA to infrastructure providers - Approved
    • On-line doc link
    • This document has been open for comment, has met with approval and we should now decide to comment it to Council.
    • Action Secretariat: Send the document on the RDA value for infrastructure providers to Council for final approval
  3. Continuation of plenary pathways document - discussion
    • Decision from previous meeting: 
      • Decision: Start with the same set of pathways for P14. If needed add one or two areas based on the themes.
      • Action Andrew: Come up with the pathways a couple of weeks after the session announcements. 
      • Google analytics showed significant use of the pathway pages. Image1 - Image2 - Image3. Also survey of members was positive (but small sample)
      • Extra points have been raised recently:
        • Tuomas:
          • I wonder if FAIR is necessary as a pathway? Despite the sessions particularly aiming to develop the FAIR agenda I see the topics there belonging mostly to RDM and service/infrastructure building. It is catchy as a title, though.
          • I see “professional development/education” as a potential topic. It could gather content that provides instruction or learning experiences (incl. workplace learning and communities of practice).
      • Comments-Discussion during the call:
        • Background: RDA Plenary 13 (P13) pathways available at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-plenary-13/pathways. Pathways: 
          • The FAIR Agenda
          • Discipline Approaches
          • Underpinning infrastructure
          • Content issues
          • Data Management issues
        • Andres:Difference between FAIR and Data Management tracks not straightforward. Data Management is one of the ways to approach FAIR.
        • Amy: Regarding Tuomas comment on professional development/education there are two different interpretations, i.e. about professional development in general versus RDA plenary contributing to professional development.If the latter not clear pathway.  
        • Conclusion: Raise the above comments to Andrew Treloar.
        • Action all: Allow one extra week of comments for the Pathways. 
  4. Membership Task Force - report from KA & discussion
    • Oral report by Kevin:
      • Scope: Part of RDA sustainability planning for the future, recognizing that the way we get support will be changing and has already been changing. We are reexamining of how RDA works. E.g. funding from plenaries, regions. The TF specifically deals with what it means to be a member of RDA globally, regionally and as organisations. The TF so far has looked in moderls of other bodies and what charges are applied. Now it will be checked how relevant are these for RDA. And move towards recommendations. The TF will offer also an opnioin on Organisational Membership. This is the role of OA and my role in the TF. Amongst the questions on Individual and Organisational membership is whether we see ourselves as members of a global organisation which can also interact with a region or more local which will interact with the global (which will be a major shift).
        • Comments; 
          • Christoph: Major shift if individual membership includes such a formal process of identifying a person (legally). The membership can be more relaxed from a legal point of view for regions (e.g. RDA Germany). 
          • Andres: Denmark small country compared to Germany: the whole value has been the engegament at the global level. This connects us to the world. Kevin: Also similar to my personal view: Engagement with global magnifies what we can do at local level. 
          • Kevin: The TF looked into the trade unions paradigm, where there is an overarching body and local branches. I can approach the global who redirects me to local or directly the local. For fees only one path. Individual fees are still debated, and may not be decided. But we may also reflect as Organisational members how we should interact with the global level.
          • Ron: In Europe we have three levels: global - region (EU)- national; and there are reasons/activities at each level. For trade unions the main benefits are at the local level. But for RDA are multiple, although engagement via the national platform. We could start with what are we looking for. So, let’s look at the offer for each level. E.g. I want to be active in my region and at global. Kevin: Different benefits at the different levels.  Ron: Yes. Also keep in mind of the subsidiarity principle, i.e. what is local should stay local, what is regional/global stays regional/global.
          • Amy: I agree with Anders and Ron. Global can also act as as catch-all if no regional level. And also that regional/national engagement likely to have wide variance
        • Kevin: I will provide regular updates on this. We can also think how to provide formal input to the TF (as OA).
  5. Secretary General update - See detailed report
    • Hilary Hanahoe:
      • Secretariat is the only board that is staffed and paid for. Responsible for the daily operations. 12 members around the global with some portion of their time for RDA.
      • Secretariat face-to-face meeting in Pisa 1-3 July, where the web developers and EU comms team (Trust-IT) are located and also where I live. In the f2f meeting the RDA secretariat discussed the plans for the next 10-12 months. Main points: Website, Plenaries, Communications, Adoption of outputs, Operations/Group processes including support to Governance bodies such as TAB and OAB. 
      • Previous week (end of June): RDA Chairs meeting in Cologne. Main topic discussed was the lifecycle of groups and some changes to be implemented.
      • Council Task Forces:
        • Membership TF already described above by Kevin.
        • Plenary assemsment: Defines the structure of plenaries and possible modififcations of their structures; how to support more the organisations; and also the members.
        • Regional engagement TF: is more or less concluded. To come up with a Regional Assembly and Regional Advisory Board. Direct agreements between Global and nation or group of nations.
        • Work of RDA: The working/interest groups themselves, including their quality. At nascent stages, Terms of Reference (ToR) not yet prepared. Will become active in the next 6 months.
        • Building blocks-building bridges and bringing together multiple outputs towards a bridge. I will send more info offline. Action Hilary: Send more information on the building bridges work.
      • Plenaries
        • Plenary 14: OA early bird registration to be offered until the very end (special benefit for OA members). Special registration code to be provided. Main program is on-line. Also a list of co-located events. Have a good look.
        • Plenary 15: The news is that P15 will finally take place in March and possible locations are Melbourne and Adelaide. I will also go to Australia for a Meet and Greet for 1 month.
  6. Categorization/Clustering of Organisations
    • Action all by end of July: Please update your organisation proposed clustering directly in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uBIGUojZLVdcLrrFb0BZ_-EP0AwQmBqbAGcEvtJ-ke8/edit#gid=0 (Note that Area 2 is optional)
    • Reminder on the scope; Twofold:
      • On one hand give more visibility to OA members (also via a set of updated slides of OA clustered members)
      • On the other hand to promote the types of organisations that become OA members to encourage others in the same category to join the OA! But also to be able to use the outputs and value statements for a specific category. 
      • Comments:
        • As pre-filled add a column so that we know who has filled it in.
  7. Actions from last meeting not otherwise dealt with in agenda
    • Actions from last meeting:
      • Decision: Start with the same set of pathways for P14. If needed add one or two areas based on the plenary themes. Action Andrew: Come up with the pathways a couple of weeks after the session announcements. - Dealt with above.
      • Action Amy: to send the survey on the pathways to the broader OA for feedback and suggestions on new areas - Dealt with above
      • Action Secretariat: come up with analytics for the pathways webpage. [See report provided after the meeting which shows high usage of the page, i.e. hundreds of unique hits] – Closed
      • Action Hilary: Send the template (structure document) for value statements to Andrew-Frankie. Closed.
      • Action Andrew-Frankie: Come up with a draft value statement for "Infrastructures" for the next OAB meeting. Rob volunteers to review the document. Closed
      • Action Secretariat: Come up with an updated proposal on categorisation of organisations, possibly in the form of an online document. Second area optional. – Dealt with above
      • All please check your logos and descriptions at https://www.rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organisational-affiliate-members – Long term action point
      • Action Fotis: Circulate a doodle for the next meeting. Closed.
    • Open Actions
      • Action Rebecca to provide the Web Focus Group (WFG) survey results. Still relevant?
        • Fotis: The WFG came up with a(nother) list of categories for classifying the WG/IGs and this discussion was relevant to the pathways discussion. 
          • Rebecca: I will circulate the results. 
  8. AOB
    • OA meeting during P14 in Finland: Tuesday 22 October 17:00-19:00. (Correction: at the meeting it was said 16:00-18:00)
    • Private OAB lunch to be decided also. On the same day? 
    • Next meetings: Action Fotis: to prepare a doodle for late August-early September, Favourable towards the Pacific and Australia.
    • Other
      • Kevin: The OA newsletter #3 was circulated to OA members. You can find what is relevant to your organisation and pass it inside your organisation and within your networks.

 

Draft agenda

(see below for local times, telephone numbers & connection details)

  1. Roll call & introduction of new members
  2. Document on value of RDA to infrastructure providers - For approval
    • On-line doc link
    • This document has been open for comment, has met with approval and we should now decide to comment it to Council.
  3. Continuation of plenary pathways document - discussion
    • Decision from previous meeting: 
      • Decision: Start with the same set of pathways for P14. If needed add one or two areas based on the themes.
      • Action Andrew: Come up with the pathways a couple of weeks after the session announcements. 
      • Google analytics showed significant use of the pathway pages. Image1 - Image2 - Image3. Also survey of members was positive (but small sample)
      • Extra points have been raised recently:
        • Tuomas:
          • I wonder if FAIR is necessary as a pathway? Despite the sessions particularly aiming to develop the FAIR agenda I see the topics there belonging mostly to RDM and service/infrastructure building. It is catchy as a title, though.
          • I see “professional development/education” as a potential topic. It could gather content that provides instruction or learning experiences (incl. workplace learning and communities of practice).
  4. Membership taskforce - report from KA & discussion
    • KA hopes to provide some written notes in advance of the meeting
  5. Secretary-general update
  6. Categorization/Clustering of Organisations
    • Action all by end of July: Please update your organisation proposed clustering directly in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uBIGUojZLVdcLrrFb0BZ_-EP0AwQmBqbAGcEvtJ-ke8/edit#gid=0 (Note that Area 2 is optional)
    • Reminder on the scope; Twofold:
      • On one hand give more visibility to OA members (also via a set of updated slides of OA clustered members)
      • On the other hand to promote the types of organisations that become OA members to encourage others in the same category to join the OA! But also to be able to use the outputs and value statements for a specific category. 
  7. Actions from last meeting not otherwise dealt with in agenda
    • Actions from last meeting:
      • Decision: Start with the same set of pathways for P14. If needed add one or two areas based on the plenary themes. Action Andrew: Come up with the pathways a couple of weeks after the session announcements. - Dealt with above.
      • Action Amy: to send the survey on the pathways to the broader OA for feedback and suggestions on new areas - Dealt with above
      • Action Secretariat: come up with analytics for the pathways webpage. [See report provided after the meeting which shows high usage of the page, i.e. hundreds of unique hits] – Closed
      • Action Hilary: Send the template (structure document) for value statements to Andrew-Frankie. Closed.
      • Action Andrew-Frankie: Come up with a draft value statement for "Infrastructures" for the next OAB meeting. Rob volunteers to review the document. Closed
      • Action Secretariat: Come up with an updated proposal on categorisation of organisations, possibly in the form of an online document. Second area optional. – Dealt with above
      • All please check your logos and descriptions at https://www.rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organisational-affiliate-members – Long term action point
      • Action Fotis: Circulate a doodle for the next meeting. Closed.
    • Open Actions
      • Action Rebecca to provide the WFG survey results. (Still relevant?)
  8. AOB
    • OA meeting during P14 in Finland: Tuesday 22 October 16:00-18:00.
    • Private OAB lunch? On the same day? 
    • Next meetings?

 

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 06:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 07:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 09:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 10:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 14:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 15:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Athens (Greece) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 16:00:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Medina (Saudi Arabia) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 16:00:00 AST UTC+3 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 22:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 23:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington) Wednesday, 17 July 2019, 01:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 16 July 2019, 13:00:00  
RDA OA(B) meeting
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509
 
You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604  Austria: +43 7 2081 5427 Belgium: +32 28 93 7018 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82 Finland: +358 923 17 0568 France: +33 170 950 594 Germany: +49 692 5736 7317 Ireland: +353 15 360 728 Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01 Netherlands: +31 207 941 377 New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302  Norway: +47 21 93 37 51 Spain: +34 932 75 2004  Sweden: +46 853 527 827  Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088 United States: +1 (571) 317-3129
 
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check