OA(B) January 2017 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

January 2017 meeting

(open to all Organisational Members)

January OA(B) call

Thursday 12 January 2016,14:00 UTC

Europe-, US East coast-friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

 

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Amy Nurnberger
    • Record meeting approval - Approved.
  2. Roll Call - 5'
    • Present: Aaron, Amy, Christoph, Fab, Francoise, Jason, Kevin, Larry, Lynn, Malcolm, Mustapha, Raphael, Rob, Stephen and Fotis, Lynn (secretariat).
    • Introduction of first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly (in case there are such ones)
  3. Minutes from previous meeting  - 5'
    • December minutes
    • Action point list review:
      • From previous meetings:
        • Rewards for the ones who perform commentaries - Open. See item 7.
        • Mark: Work more on adopter registration (who's adopted what outputs): https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendat... - On-going.
          • Mark update: Hilary working on it.
        • Fotis: Subscribe all Industrial members to the private OAB wiki space (they will act as observers) - Closed - Blackfynn joined.
          • Amy update: Invitations have been sent; period for invitation acceptance closed 8Dec. Please contact Amy with any questions.
      • From last meeting:
        • Action Fotis: Include the strategy papers for discussion in the January meeting and inform all members - Closed. Further Action: All members to read the papers.
        • Action: Raphael to clarify with Rainer what information he is looking for from OA/OAB on the secretariat needs - Closed.
          • Raphael update: Talked with Rainer: Explained that we do have and use open and closed communication channels in OA/OAB, which we consider important (we will discuss later). Other things where we get support is the secretariat resources (Fotis) which we appreciate, as it keeps us on track, including calls, and also survey's/web forms with further support from secretariat. Overall, it was clarified enough and Rainer appreciated the input.
        • Action Lynn: Provide a list with all the groups for review and circulate this to the OAB list – Closed.
        • Action Fotis: To get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the TAB LOG output by RDA Europe. On-hold
          • Fotis update: Talked with Peter who said that this is very fresh and the RDA Europe Support Team (EST) needs to develop a full plan. After this they will come back to RDA Global. Raphael: Yes, the RDA Europe EST f2f meeting will be in February and we will have more after that more info. Francoise: Keep in mind that TAB is the main point of contact for TAB LOG.
        • Action Fotis: Link the V&E document to the OA page and also in the get involved/organisational membership page with some highlights. Closed
        • Action OAB-sub-group on industry (Amy, Juan, Fab, Ross): To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry.
          • Amy update: Claiming vacation period for this one! Fab: Very fresh news: There was an RDA Europe WP2 meeting to see how to increase traction with industry: Industry Advisory Board (AB) for Europe but also global. I will take the leadership from Cap Digital and we want to use OAB to solicit some of its members and to understand where to see value in RDA. Publishers but also others who want to provide data analytics. Try to collect 5-6 experts and we have budget to bring them to Barcelona and other plenaries. Repurpose data summit to more industrial focus. Agressive plan as we want to present some first results in April in Barcelona but we need the help of all of you to liaise with industry. And there will be an industrial event in Barcelona (Tuesday). Amy: Important that RDA Europe AB liaises with OAB. Plan for a call next week
          • New action - OA members to propose candidates for the RDA Europe industrial Advisory Board
          • New action - Amy to plan for a call of the OAB sub-group on industry
        • Action Mark: Follow-up with Laurel Haak (ORCID) to better connect RDA with ORCID, including possible automatic registration of reviews under the ORCID and/or RDA profile.
          • Mark update: Talked to Laure and we agreed that implementing ORCIDs on the RDA site and allowing reviews to appear on peoples ORCID record would be a good thing. We worked out the politics of how to do this, now we just need to sort the  technology. Unfortunately, doing this within Drupal is a challenge. Timea and her counterpart at ORCID have agreed to explore it when they have time. Hopefully in the next month or so - On-going
        • Action Fotis: Prepare doodle for the next meeting for the week of the 9th of January 2017 - Closed
          • New action: Prepare new doodle for mid-February (after 2nd week of February)
        • Action: Fotis with the help of secretariat to prepare a calendar with some options for the next OA f2f meeting in Barcelona so that the OAB can decide on those. On-going. See agenda item 10.
  4. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
  5. Council Strategy papers for discussion
    • Initial thoughts and recommendations on RDA as a Standardisation body, By Juan Bicarregui.
      • Kevin: Although Juan not present, better to discuss it now! Amy: Agreed!
      • Amy introduces the document and then opens the floor for comments:
        • Kevin: Supportive of the document. Not having a strong view, on either direction (in favour or against).
        • Malcolm: Similar view.
        • Raphael: A bit of background: Task Force on standardisation that Mark was leading (before being an SG). We were concerned and afraid of not being considered a standards body (like ISO) where everybody needs to agree and very slow. While the IETF model which is more on consensus is closer to the RDA spirit. At the time we agreed to focus on recommendations. This cannot preclude recommendations to be considered as starndards, but up to that. 
      • Amy: Ok, broad agreement.
    • RDA as a training/education body? A certification body? Is there a mission/future here? By Francoise Genova
      • Amy: Short intro and opens the discussion:
        • Raphael: Support the comment already raised: I support the paper: no authorative, but support role. Similar to the Data seal of approval example.
        • Kevin: Broadly in agreement: But avoid being too prescriptive, so as to avoid misunderstandings.
        • Jason: Agreed broadly. But feel that a strategy is missing, if we are not a certification body in terms of training, what are we supposed to do? What if we facilitate internships and trainings for the next generation of data practitioners?
          • Francoise: Took note of the points and we can improve the document. Agree with Kevin, but in the current version, we do not want to do it. Re. strategy, as RDA is a bottom-up organisation, a strategy may not be appropriate/straightforward. For the internship points, there is a point on that; but these are linked to the regional RDA level. So to train the next generation of data practitioners, you need to understand the local/regional situation.
          • Amy: I can attest to the regional aproach. US is doing this already and this is accurate and good approach.
          • Franoise: We are an organisation who trains its members!
    • Building infrastructure through strategies of interconnection, By Mark Parsons & Francoise Genova
      • Amy: Introduction. Bottom up and then landscape overview; and try to balance interconnections and overlaps. Opens the discussion:
        • Malcolm: Had problem understanding what is the problem trying to solve?
          • Francoise-Fotis: The issue is whether RDA needs to have an architecture (coming from top-down) and the answer is that it is a bottom-up organisation and it should find its way.
          • Malcolm: Maybe it would be good though to draw the landscape and how to liaise with other bodies like Belmont-Forum with which we can collaborate. Francoise: Yes, we draw the lines, although not always easy or good.
          • Kevin: I agree with Malcolm that the purpose of the document is not clear. But this may be solved and it may be better clarified with a good structure of the document: I.e. identify the context (about the architecture point) and mention that some people feel that an architecture is needed, but we feel that this is not needed.
        • Deadlines are not clear (besides the Operations doc).
        • Action Francoise: The deadlines of the strategic documents needs to be included in the RFC pages. Francoise to talk to HIlary.
    • Transparency and Openness in RDA by Stefanie Kethers
      • Lary introduces the document: The main point is that the default in the website should be open. And if you need private, do elsewhere or otherwise (but people should not see it). 
      • Comments:
        • Francoise: Better understand now. Thought it had to be only elsewhere.
        • Christoph: I understand what was the need. A rights management system could be implemented if not too complicated.
        • Larry: The problem is that there is a set of permissions. And those permissions were colliding. And people with different permissions could see different things for the same page! So the only solution: By default go public. If not, a different mechanism or make sure that the private channel is not referenced in the public.
        • Kevin: I am afraid that what you are proposing is less transparent. And it may create more complications (other solutions).
        • Larry: The initial problem is still there and we are not able to fix it.
        • Amy: Agree with Malcolm and Kevin. Hiding some parts does not achieve transparency. Possibly try to explain (openly) the technical issue (if not possible to solve).
        • Larry: We can consider these comments in the next OCC meeting. Today's meeting did not take place.
  6. OA Value & Engagement - 5'
  7. The role of OA in Expert Commentary and Adoptability: Process and Tools, Juan Bicarregui, Amy Nurnberger - 10'
    • Updated process after Chairs meeting with Secretary General and Fotis
      • OA commentary: updates on process (process)
    • Registering adopters is also important: Adoption registration: https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendations
      • On-going.
    • Templates (Latest versions)
      • Output commentary: Document
      • Group Commentary (for new WGs) - Document (See also agenda item 8)
    • Survey responses & results: Amy
      • OA Commentator expertise and interest: RDA form (requires RDA login).
        • Action: Fotis to send a reminder about the OA members expertise and interest in the commentaries. 
    • Discussion of rewards/acknowledgement process: Letter of acknowledgement/formal recognition from Secretary General. Recommendations to appear on ORCID profile (on-going discussions).
      • No discussion today.
  8. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 20'
  9. Open industry/private sector seats on OAB - Amy, 5'
    • Decision: Invite all industry members to OAB as observers until numbers increase. This grants for-profit OA members a voice at the forum, but no formal voting rights.
    • Invitations have been sent; period for invitation acceptance closed 8Dec. Please contact Amy with any questions.
  10. Next OA(B) meetings, 5'
    • Next call: Far-East (and if possible) US west coast-friendly. Mid February (after the 2nd week).
    • Planning for next plenary meeting: Only one meeting, by invitation - interested organisations to join may be asked to be invited and avoid clashes with WG/IG groups. So just before or after the main days.
    • Fotis update:
      • Plenary schedule: Wednesday morning to Friday 13:30.
      • Tuesday: RDA TAB/Chairs meeting (half day morning or afternoon - poll still open), Funders forum (morning) and Industrial event (afternoon), ICSTI workshop
      • Friday afternoon: Other external stakeholders' meetings
      • Possible options: Tuesday (morning) or Friday afternoon
        • Views:
          • Malcolm and Jason: Tuesday we are fresher
          • Raphael: Both ok, but I would like to attend the TAB-Chairs meeting on Tuesday.
          • Stephen: Fewer conflicts on Friday
            • Actions on Barcelona f2f meeting in April:
              • All: Come up with agenda items for the Barcelona plenary OA meeting
              • Chairs/secretariat: Draft an agenda for Barcelona (and discuss it next time). The duration will depend on the items, but we may want to pencil in 120 minutes (instead of 90).
              • Secretariat to book appropriate rooms (after converging)
  11. AoB, 5'

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

January 2017 meeting

(open to all Organisational Members)

Thursday 12 January 2016,14:00 UTC

Europe US East coast friendly timeslot

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
Los Angeles (USA - California) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 06:00:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 07:00:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 09:00:00 EST UTC-5 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 11:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 14:00:00 GMT UTC
Paris (France - Île-de-France) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 15:00:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 16:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 23:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Friday, 13 January 2017, 01:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Friday, 13 January 2017, 03:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Thursday, 12 January 2017, 14:00:00  

 

January OA(B) call
Thu, Jan 12, 2017 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM GMT

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/405172173

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 405-172-173 Phone numbers Australia: +61 2 8355 1034, Austria: +43 1 2060 92964, Belgium: +32 (0) 28 08 4372 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9372 Denmark: +45 69 91 84 58
Finland: +358 (0) 923 17 0556  France: +33 (0) 170 950 590  Germany: +49 (0) 692 5736 7206  Ireland: +353 (0) 19 030 053  Italy: +39 0 699 26 68 65 Netherlands: +31 (0) 208 080 759 New Zealand: +64 9 974 9579 Norway: +47 21 04 30 59 Spain: +34 931 76 1534 Sweden: +46 (0) 852 500 691 Switzerland: +41 (0) 435 0026 89 United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3713 5011 United States: +1 (312) 757-3119

First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Amy Nurnberger
    • Record meeting approval
  2. Roll Call - 5'
  3. Minutes from previous meeting  - 5'
    • December minutes
    • Action point list review:
      • From previous meetings:
      • Rewards for the ones who perform commentaries - Open. See item 7.
      • Mark: Work more on adopter registration (who's adopted what outputs): https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendat... - Open.
      • Fotis: Subscribe all Industrial members to the private OAB wiki space (they will act as observers) - Amy has sent them invites. As soon as they accept, they will be added to the private OAB wiki space. Open.
      • From last meeting:
        • Action Fotis: Include the strategy papers for discussion in the January meeting and inform all members - Closed. Further Action: All members to read the papers.
        • Action: Raphael to clarify with Rainer what information he is looking for from OA/OAB on the secretariat needs. 
        • Action Lynn: Provide a list with all the groups for review and circulate this to the OAB list – Closed.
        • Action Fotis: To get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the TAB LOG output by RDA Europe. On-hold
          • Fotis update: Talked with Peter who said that this is very fresh and the RDA Europe Support Team (EST) needs to develop a full plan. After this they will come back to RDA Global.
        • Action Fotis: Link the V&E document to the OA page and also in the get involved/organisational membership page with some highlights. Closed
        • Action OAB-sub-group on industry (Amy, Juan, Fab, Ross): To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry.
        • Action Mark: Follow-up with Laurel Haak (ORCID) to better connect RDA with ORCID, including possible automatic registration of reviews under the ORCID and/or RDA profile.
          • Mark update: Talked to Laure and we agreed that implementing ORCIDs on the RDA site and allowing reviews to appear on peoples ORCID record would be a good thing. We worked out the politics of how to do this, now we just need to sort the  technology. Unfortunately, doing this within Drupal is a challenge. Timea and her counterpart at ORCID have agreed to explore it when they have time. Hopefully in the next month or so - On-going
        • Action Fotis: Prepare doodle for the next meeting for the week of the 9th of January 2017 - Closed
        • Action: Fotis with the help of secretariat to prepare a calendar with some options for the next OA f2f meeting in Barcelona so that the OAB can decide on those. On-going. See agenda item 10.
  4. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
  5. Council Strategy papers for discussion
  6. OA Value & Engagement - 5'
  7. The role of OA in Expert Commentary and Adoptability: Process and Tools, Juan Bicarregui, Amy Nurnberger - 10'
    • Updated process after Chairs meeting with Secretary General and Fotis
      • OA commentary: updates on process (process)
    • Registering adopters is also important: Adoption registration: https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendations
    • Templates (Latest versions)
      • Output commentary: Document
      • Group Commentary (for new WGs) - Document (See also agenda item 8)
    • Survey responses & results: Amy
    • Discussion of rewards/acknowledgement process: Letter of acknowledgement/formal recognition from Secretary General. Recommendations to appear on ORCID profile (on-going discussions).
  8. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 20'
  9. Open industry/private sector seats on OAB - Amy, 5'
    • Decision: Invite all industry members to OAB as observers until numbers increase. This grants for-profit OA members a voice at the forum, but no formal voting rights.
    • Invitations have been sent; period for invitation acceptance closed 8Dec. Please contact Amy with any questions.
  10. Next OA(B) meetings, 5'
    • Next call: Far-East (and if possible) US west coast-friendly
    • Planning for next plenary meeting: Only one meeting, by invitation - interested organisations to join may be asked to be invited and avoid clashes with WG/IG groups. So just before or after the main days.
    • Fotis update:
      • Plenary schedule: Wednesday morning to Friday 13:30.
      • Tuesday: RDA TAB/Chairs meeting (half day morning or afternoon - poll still open), Funders forum (morning) and Industrial event (afternoon), ICSTI meeting
      • Friday afternoon: Other external stakeholders' meetings
      • Possible options: Tuesday (morning) or Friday afternoon
  11. AoB, 5'