OA(B) February 2017 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

February 2017 meeting

(open to all Organisational Members)

Thursday 23 February 2017, 21:00 UTC

US and partly far-east friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

 

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Amy Nurnberger
  2. Roll Call - 5'
    • OA statistics: 51 members: 43 Organisational Members and 8 Affiliate Members, https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organ...
    • Introduction of first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly (in case there are such ones)
      • Member not introduced last time: International Council for Scientific and Technical Information ICSTI)
        • Jan Brase: also involved in the past with RDA, was Datacite director, now at Goettingen University and president of ICSTI. ICSTI aligned with ICSU, a UN body, sibbling of CODATA. A  global organisation bringing libraries together all over the world. Focus on scientific information, recently shifting effort towards data.
      • One new (affiliate) member since last call: Group on Earth Observations (GEO), Wenbo Chu
        • Wenbo Chu: Barbara Ryan is the main member and GEO secretariat director. GEO is an inter-governmental organisation of 104 member countries and 106 orgs. Vision: a future where decisions and actions for the benefit of humankind are informed by coordinated, comprehensive and sustained Earth observations. Advocating open policies and the use of open data. This year prioritising targets among a series of actions including climate change reduction. Re. data sharing they are interested and active in RDA in a series of groups.Hope for closer cooperation with RDA.
    • For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA), please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership
  3. Minutes from previous meeting  - 5'
    • January minutes - Approved
    • Action point list review:
      • From previous meetings:
        • Rewards for the ones who perform commentaries - Letter of acknowledgement/formal recognition from Secretary General. Recommendations to appear on ORCID profile (on-going discussions). On-going. See also below.
        • Action Mark: Follow-up with Laurel Haak (ORCID) to better connect RDA with ORCID, including possible automatic registration of reviews under the ORCID and/or RDA profile.
          • Challenging with Drupal. Timea and her counterpart at ORCID have agreed to explore it when they have time. Hopefully in the next month or so - On-going
        • Mark: Work more on adopter registration (who's adopted what outputs): https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendat... - On-going.
          • Mark update: Hilary working on it.
        • Action Fotis: To get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the TAB LOG output by RDA Europe. On-hold
          • Fotis update: Talked with Peter who said that this is very fresh and the RDA Europe Support Team (EST) needs to develop a full plan (meeting 28-29 March). After this they will come back to RDA Global, possibly during the plenary.
        • Action OAB-sub-group on industry (Amy, Juan, Fab, Ross): To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry.
          • New action - Amy to plan for a call of the OAB sub-group on industry
          • New action - OA members to propose candidates for the RDA Europe Industrial Advisory Board.
            • New: Update. Working on. Senior EC member. IAB panel. Panel data in the cloud. And cocktail. 
        • Action: Fotis with the help of secretariat to prepare a calendar with some options for the next OA f2f meeting in Barcelona so that the OAB can decide on those. On-going. See agenda item 8.- Closed
      • From last meeting:
        • Action Fotis: Send a reminder on 1st of March for new candidates
        • Action Mark: Contact Simon to come up with a volunteer for the Certification and Accreditation for Data Science training WG
        • Action Fotis to create a doodle with all options re. the next timing of Barcelona OA meeting
        • Action Fotis: to create a doodle for private OAB Barcelona lunch
        • Action Fotis: plan for a meeting room with a Gotomeeting facility for Barcelona OA meeting
        • Action Chairs/Fotis: Create a googledocs for OA Barcelona meeting.
  4. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • News from RDA Council and its subcommittees - Mark, Amy, Juan, others - 10'
      • News from RDA Council
        • Mark: Main topics discussed this year:
          • Nominations for the new slate of members. Deadline was 20 February. Nomination committee chair: Ingrid Dillo. Several candidates applied.
          • Replacing Secretary General. Deadline extension: 1 March. Mark: not involved in the process. Talk to Stefanie Kethers (from secretariat) or Fran Berman (from Council) if you want to get updates. Fran leading the hire committee.
          • There was a telecon last Monday 20 February: Europe is preparing a proposal for the 4th round of RDA Europe. Hilary Hanahoe leading the proposal. She presented current plans to Council. One of the issues is how RDA EU governance work in relation to RDA Global. And there will be a follow-up telecon tomorrow Friday 24 February. This will be the last grant under Horizon 2020 (the big EU Framework Programme). And this project will also prepare for the next FP: Get into a position where there is routine operation. The European Commission wants to make sure that there is right governance, accountability, transparency, etc. Important to get it right.
        • Juan: Also discussed the funders forum at the Barcelona plenary. This will take place on Tuesday the 4th of April in the morning (before the Industrial event that is in the afternoon).Mark: Josh Greenberg from Sloan Foundation is chairing again. Did a great job chairing last time: it was their (funders) forum to discuss their business.  
      • News from sub-committees (for more about the subcommittees see also the OAB July meeting minutes)
        • Strategy
        • Sustainability and funding
          • Sustainability of RDA and funding sources are key points for the future
          • No recent meetings.
        • Finance
          • Fiscal policies/rules. Considering of whether to pay for TAB and OAB members travel at some point in time.
          • No recent meetings.
        • Engagement and Communications
          • Mostly dealing with the implementation of the Future Directions document (around Engagement, Communications and Coordination)
          • Amy: There was a recent meeting. Discussed the best way to present our recommendations in-line with the Future Directions document.
        • Operations and Coordination
          • Document
            • Transparency and Openness in RDA, by Stefanie Kethers (RDA Secretariat, Head of Operations).
              • Updated document is expected towards the beginning of March.
              • Andrew: The OCC group is still working out what they want to achieve with this. Trying to balance between being faithful to openess and another state recognising that absolute openess may not be desirable. There was an OCC call yesterday, where an approach was agreed, but have to check what is technically doable with Trust-IT (on the website) and the revisit what we recommend. Again the revision will be based on what is technically possible. The updated document will be posted again in the RFC box.
              • Mark: Looking for a simple model about open and closed bits. E.g. obvious that new SG is closed. But there are grey areas...Andrew: Also the TAB discussions of WG/IGs reviews may be tricky.
              • Andew: Another point: Nowhere in the website it says what is public and what is not. Need a space to capture this.
    • News from Secretariat - 10'
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona
        • Keeps the secretariat busy.
        • Plan to facilitate remote participation to group meetings (via Gotomeeting)
        • Plenary sessions may be either streamed or recorded.
      • Groups:
        • As Andrew will report there is a steady flow of new groups. Lynn Yarmey working on cleanup around groups. Also retired a few inactive groups.
      • Group coordination:
        • Big discussions at TAB-WG/IG chairs list, and also at regional level, how to better facilitate communication and coordination. All in the Future Directions document. But still difficult to optimise communcation. There is the idea of using the plenaries for such conversations - broader perspective. Not sure how to do it. Pose some questions or issues via on-line forms.
      • Update on future directions document.
        • Council subcommitee on Engagement and Communications having major role in leading this. A formal report on that to come up, also to be sent to funders.
      • One RDA US fellow, Elise Dunham, working on reviewing RDA archiving processes. Come up with something soon. Current plan looks promising. Probably change in our current repository.
      • Future plenaries update
      • RDA individual membership: updated February statistics: 4908 members from 118 countries.
    • News from TAB (besides WG/IG and Rcommendations which are covered in agenda item 7 below) - 10'
      • Andrew:
        • Intro-TAB scheduling issues:
          • TAB also very busy! One issue struggling in last months, is getting a full house at TAB meetings: daylight saving in one part of the world, causes scheduling problems and usually less than half of the TAB present at each call. Despite those difficulties, supporting a series of WG/IGs.
        • Group coordination:
          • On the coordination topic between groups (e.g. building relations, facilitating lack of duplicates), there are these out of plenary TAB-WG/IG Chairs meetings. They usually take place around June-July in Europe and December in the US. And there will be a next one this June (after Barcelona). Spanning 3 days-much more time to discuss.
        • Scheduling plenary group meetings has become insanely complex:
          • TAB also very focused on the plenary and making sure that we can cover weill all requirements. One concrete thing is the insanely complex scheduling: Rainer's team, just for avoiding Chairs conflicts, came up with a huge number of simulations! Also this time the TAB asked more concrete stuff from the Group chairs in an effort to improve the sessions. And this hopefully will be visible in Barcelona.
  5. Next OAB Elections - 10'
    • Current 10 member OAB.
    • Call for nominations - E-mail sent to OA
    • OAB election process document (same as last year)
      • Amy: Stepping down: Juan, Steve, Susan, Aaron. Need one more. May stand for re-election.
      • Guru: standing down.
      • Fotis: Deadline 10 March!
      • Action Fotis: Send a reminder on 1st of March for new candidates
      • Mark: Both affiliates and members are welcome to volunteer for the OAB
    • OAB co-chair selection (as Juan is stepping down)
  6. OA Value & Engagement - 5'
    • Continue to develop value propositions for OA. Current version of live document 
      • Living document, revisiting while RDA grows. Comments about other areas of values. Take under serious discussion: cross-membership with partnerships, discounts for plenaries, etc.
      • Proposal: Discounted plenary fees. To be taken to Council.
      • Proposal: Targeted periodic update of group activities that may be of particular OA member interest
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 15'
  8. Next OA(B) meetings, 15'
  9. AoB, 5'

 

                    

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

February 2017 meeting

(open to all Organisational Members)

Thursday 23 February 2017, 21:00 UTC

US and partly far-east friendly timeslot

RDA February OA(B)
Thu, Feb 23, 2017 21:00-22:30 PM UTC

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/956355693

You can also dial in using your phone.  Access Code: 956-355-693
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 8355 1050, Austria: +43 7 2088 3962, Belgium: +32 (0) 28 93 7010, Canada: +1 (647) 497-9391, Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82, Finland: +358 (0) 942 45 0453, France: +33 (0) 170 950 594,
Germany: +49 (0) 692 5736 7210, Ireland: +353 (0) 15 360 734, Italy: +39 0 694 80 34 40, Netherlands: +31 (0) 207 941 377, New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302, Norway: +47 23 16 23 30, Spain: +34 932 20 0596, Sweden: +46 (0) 853 527 827, Switzerland: +41 (0) 435 0808 29,  United Kingdom: +44 (0) 330 221 0086, United States: +1 (669) 224-3217.

First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Amy Nurnberger
    • Record meeting approval
  2. Roll Call - 5'
  3. Minutes from previous meeting  - 5'
    • January minutes
    • Action point list review:
      • From previous meetings:
        • Rewards for the ones who perform commentaries - Letter of acknowledgement/formal recognition from Secretary General. Recommendations to appear on ORCID profile (on-going discussions). On-going. See also below.
        • Action Mark: Follow-up with Laurel Haak (ORCID) to better connect RDA with ORCID, including possible automatic registration of reviews under the ORCID and/or RDA profile.
          • Challenging with Drupal. Timea and her counterpart at ORCID have agreed to explore it when they have time. Hopefully in the next month or so - On-going
        • Mark: Work more on adopter registration (who's adopted what outputs): https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-outputs/adoption-recommendat... - On-going.
          • Mark update: Hilary working on it.
        • Action Fotis: To get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the TAB LOG output by RDA Europe. On-hold
          • Fotis update: Talked with Peter who said that this is very fresh and the RDA Europe Support Team (EST) needs to develop a full plan (meeting 28-29 March). After this they will come back to RDA Global, possibly during the plenary.
      • From last meeting:
        • Action OAB-sub-group on industry (Amy, Juan, Fab, Ross): To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry.
          • New action - OA members to propose candidates for the RDA Europe Industrial Advisory Board
          • New action - Amy to plan for a call of the OAB sub-group on industry
        • Action: Fotis with the help of secretariat to prepare a calendar with some options for the next OA f2f meeting in Barcelona so that the OAB can decide on those. On-going. See agenda item 8.
  4. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
  5. Next OAB Elections - 10'
    • Current 10 member OAB.
      • Note that Joost has been added as industrial member, while Steve has stepped down (Internet2 discontinuing). So, target is a 11-member OAB.
    • Call for nominations - E-mail sent to OA
    • OAB election process document (same as last year)
      • Stepping down: Juan, Steve, Susan, Aaron. Need one more. May stand for re-election.
    • OAB co-chair selection
  6. OA Value & Engagement - 5'
    • Continue to develop value propositions for OA. Current version of live document 
      • Living document, revisiting while RDA grows. Comments about other areas of values. Take under serious discussion: cross-membership with partnerships, discounts for plenaries, etc.
      • Proposal: Discounted plenary fees
      • Proposal: Targeted periodic update of group activities that may be of particular OA member interest
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 15'
  8. Next OA(B) meetings, 15'
  9. AoB, 5'