OA(B) December 2017 call

 

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

December 2017 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 5 December at 22:00 UTC.

US-Australia friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

 

  1. Roll Call - 5', Kevin-Chair
    • Present: Kevin Ashley (Chair), Mark Leggott, Shelley Stall, Stefan Kramer, Amy Nurnberger (co-Chair), Andrew Treloar (TAB), David Baker, Fotis (Secretariat). 
    • Approval to record meeting - Granted.
    • Introduction of first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly - None.
    • OA statistics: 54 members: 46 Organisational Members and 8 Affiliate Members, https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organ...
    • Call for any other business items
  2. Minutes from November meeting  - 10'
    • November draft minutes - Approved.
    • Announcements:
      • The RDA Newsletter wants to highlight *your* organisation! Tell your RDA story today - contact enquiries@rd-alliance or Fotis. 
        • Fotis: Timea is liaising with DCC. 
      • Does your organisation have a new area of expertise or interest? Update your profile here to receive targeted invitations to comment on new proposals: https://www.rd-alliance.org/survey-record-oa-members-expertise
    • Action items - see at the end (will review as we come to them in the agenda)
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA Council and its subcommittees - Ingrid, Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
      • RDA Council update
        • RDA Council f2f meeting in Brussels, 29-30 November (attached to European Open Science Cloud events). Good meeting. Main topics discussed:
          • New strategy covering main challenges: re-evaluation of RDA value proposition, financial sustainability, growth management and regional engagement.Small Working Group for each challenge (with a Chair and 2 members of the Council). Aim is to come with a document that can be presented in Berlin for community feedback.
          • New SG: On track-confident that there will be a new SG by 1st of February 2018.
          • Secretariat Strategy document on current staffing and future needs. Efforts will be made to get funding for a Chief of Staff for the secretariat.
          • Code of Conduct (non-harassment policy, respect each other and law, etc.): Positive feedback. Next draft and then aim to be presented and adopted in Berlin.
          • TAB election process: Maximum term of 6 years, re-election possible after 1 term of 3 years.
          • RDA Foundation VAT issues also discussed.
            • Andrew: Public version of the Council minutes to become available. Not sure when. 
      • Sub-committees 
    • News from Secretariat - 10', Fotis
      • Secreteriat update:
        • Discussed internally the Secretariat strategy which then went to Council. Secretariat currently understaffed. Ingrid Dillo interim SG part time until Feb 2018, Hilary on leave until Jan 2018, Florence from Trust-IT also left - new persons to help TImea. Ingrid's assistant Lisa also contributing to the secretariat until Feb 2018.
        • Lessons learnt internal secretariat document from P10 (Montreal) shared with P11 (Berlin) organising committee
        • Other on-going:
      • Future plenaries update
        • Plenary 11 - Berlin, Germany 21-23 March 2018 (hosted by the Helmholz Association). : Theme "From Data to Knowledge"
          • Skeleton draft programme (not fixed yet):
            • Monday: RDA Counci, Funders forum, Industry pre-plenary parallel session: Machine-learning hands-on workshop, Real-time data access, Hackathon
            • Tuesday: Industrial plenary and hackathon (in parallel; all day until 16:30). TAB-Chairs meeting 12:30-16:30, RDA for Newcomers: 16:30-18:45. Newcomers cocktail: 19:00-20:30. Women meeting with Beer: 20:30+
            • Wednesday-Friday: Plenary. Has been reduced to 2.5 days, with expected end around noon on Friday. Working on getting a joint OA-TAB lunch on Friday and then OA and TAB debrief meetings (as in Montreal). Include the OA meeting in the overall agenda. 
          • Call for sessions open.
        • Plenary 12  - 2nd International Data Week (RDA Plenary+SciDataCon from WDS-CODATA), Gaborone, Botswana, 22–26 October 2018.
          • Weekly preparatory meetings with WDS-CODATA. Working on budget, sponsorships, quotation from favourited venue.
        • Plenary 13 - Locations in the US are being investigated by RDA US. One option is Philadelphia.
      • RDA individual membership: Updated statistics. 6280+ members.
      • Action Item updates
        • OM targeted communications - newsletter - template discussed in Montreal
          • Secretariat discussed the idea and the template - will come up with a plan until the end of the year (probably to start next year) - Open action Fotis: to make a first draft of the content. Also discussed the layout internally (whether it will be graphical or a simple (html) e-mail to OA). OA feedback: Very simple so that it can be re-used (edited and forwarded to OA members).
    • News from TAB  - 10', Andrew
  4. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  5. OAB elections
    • ​​​​​​​Current OAB: https://rd-alliance.org/about-rda/our-leadership/rda-organisational-advi...
      • OAB members whose terms are ending:
        • Amy, Fabrizio, Kevin, Malcolm and Raphael (all can be reelected). Fabrizio and Malcolm won't stand for re-election.Amy, Kevin and Raphael (3) will stand up for re-election.  (Members with one more year to go are Guru, Jason and Juan (3).
          • Up to another 4 seats available.  OAB=10 members excluding industry reps. (10-3-3=4). However, the OAB may want to elect only up to 5 each year. To be discussed. In any case nominations need to be received. OA members to be encourage to nominate themselves or nominate others. Current OAB members to approach potential candidates.  
          • Action: All interested, to send nominations to enquiries@rd-alliance.org by 22 December. Interested OA members need to include a brief motivation statement and two seconders from OA (a simple “I second X in her/his OAB nomination” is enough).
          • Timeline: Elections need to take place in January so that new OAB members can make travel plans for Berlin.
        • Co-chairs term ending: Amy (can be reelected)
  6. OA "Projects"
    • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs - report from OAB sub-group: Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara
      • Initial document
      • Decision from November meeting: To look for a maturity model to assess the adoptability/fitness for use. Will be based on a set of rules/descriptive.
        • Action OAB sub-group Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara to proceed with the maturity model.
          • Kevin: No updates on this, to be discussed in the follow-up meeting. 
    • Policy preview for Council on OM benefits
      • Document presented in Montreal
      • From November meeting: Discussed at the Council meeting in Montreal. Some degree of support, but also dissenting views expressed as to whether or not some of the incentives are realistic. But the answer was that not all benefits are worthwhile for every organisation. Decision: Will proceed on this basis, i.e. not universal benefits, but benefits worthwhile for different organisations.
        • Kevin: summarised the decision. Nothing new either. 
    • OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisational Member services) )- Raphael-Jason
      • From November meeting:
        • On the neutrality point raised in Montreal (i.e. if RDA was providing services and treated differently the OMs and its members, then this may had been a problem). Answer: The services will be provided by the OMs (not RDA). So this is not considered a problem.
        • Professional vs. informal services: Are we taking about professional services to customers or more informal helping each other, lowering the barrier to entry for some technologies or services? If professional, then Service Level Agreements (SLAs), Operational Level Agreements (OLAs)...If informal, easier to implement. Both could be in scope. But it may help, if we take one path.
          • Action Jason and Raphael: Update their document and write down some of the above arguments on neutrality and professional vs. informal services, and frame the discussion - Open.
        • Next step: Create  list with the services that can be offered by OA members
          • The idea is that a contact person from each organisation is needed who can provide this list of services (in case the OA member cannot do it). A spreadsheet to collect these contact points has been created by Jason. 
            • Spreadsheet by Jason - File
            • Action: Then we ask OA members to fill in contact persons from their organisations and give their consent to contact them.
            • Action Jason: Document the list of available services from all OMs. 
            • Action: All members to fill in the excel. 
    • OM Hotlist (of current challenges: what issues are we experiencing and where we may require solutions. Possibly also vote and rank them.
      • Not yet started - to be discussed in next meeting.
        • Amy: Organisations may want to raise their needs and challenges around data sharing/interoperability. 
        • Kevin: The notion of this has been given support. But difficult to implement. 
        • Action Amy to work on the OM Hotlist.
  7. Regular calls plan
    • January call: 3rd Tuesday of January: 16 January, starting around 12:00-14:00 UTC. To be decided by co-Chairs asap.
  8. Any other business
    • RDA EU TF on RDA Sustainability draft document can be shared privately (not a public document). If OA members want to have a look and comment, they can contact Fotis. 
  9. Action Items
Responsibility Item description Date created

Status /Date

Secretariat

Incorporate ORCiD into individual RDA profiles: Complete

Incorporate ORCiD into automatic registration of reviews and outputs: On Hold

201612 Open Updated 2017-05
Secretariat

Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

Current state: Open

201612 On-going
Fotis, Raphael

Get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) output. It was presented in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June '17. In better shape in summer. Link: http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/  

Update: 

  • The name "AoK" will disappear during integration in the RDA website (if agreed) 
  • Focus has been given on the content and process aspects and then to improve graphic interface aspects.
    • The current graphic system needs to be updated / replaced. The AoK team has been looking for another graphic system which fulfils the requirements, but this is not easy.
  • Webinar scheduled for Thursday, 9th November 2017, 13:00 CET http://https://www.rd-alliance.org/atlas-knowledge-navigating-rda’s-activities
201700 On-going (see above agenda item)
OA: Industry sub-group

To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up. 

201703 Open
OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in May 201704 Open
OAB: Jason, Raphael

Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). 

Document presented and being discussed (also in Montreal). Clear interest but no consensus on how to do this. Need to converge.

201704

On-going

OA: Fab, Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction models.

201704 Open
OAB Chairs, Secretariat

Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements. 

Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up.  Kevin will approach Juan and report back

201704 Open

 

Original agenda

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 14:00:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 15:00:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 17:00:00 EST UTC-5 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 19:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 22:00:00 GMT UTC
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 23:00:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 00:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 07:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 09:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 11:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 22:00:00    

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9091 7603 Austria: +43 1 2530 22500 Belgium: +32 28 93 7002 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9376 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 69 Finland: +358 923 17 0556 France: +33 170 950 590 Germany: +49 692 5736 7300 Ireland: +353 15 360 756 Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80 Netherlands: +31 207 941 375 New Zealand: +64 9 282 9510 Norway: +47 21 93 37 37 Spain: +34 932 75 1230 Sweden: +46 853 527 818
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 60 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0097 United States: +1 (786) 535-3119

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

  1. Roll Call - 5', Kevin-Chair
  2. Minutes from November meeting  - 10'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA Council and its subcommittees - Ingrid, Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
      • RDA Council update
        • RDA Council f2f meeting in Brussels, 29-30 November (attached to European Open Science Cloud events). Good meeting. Main topics discussed:
          • New strategy covering main challenges: re-evaluation of RDA value proposition, financial sustainability, growth management and regional engagement.Small Working Group for each challenge (with a Chair and 2 members of the Council). Aim is to come with a document that can be presented in Berlin for community feedback.
          • New SG: On track-confident that there will be a new SG by 1st of February 2018.
          • Secretariat Strategy document on current staffing and future needs. Efforts will be made to get funding for a Chief of Staff for the secretariat.
          • Code of Conduct: Positive feedback. Next draft and then aim to be presented in Berlin.
          • TAB election process: Maximum term of 6 years, re-election possible after 1 term of 3 years.
          • RDA Foundation VAT issues also discussed.
      • Sub-committees 
    • News from Secretariat - 10', Fotis
      • Secreteriat update:
        • Discussed internally the Secretariat strategy which then went to Council. Secretariat currently understaffed. Ingrid Dillo interim SG part time until Feb 2018, Hilary on leave until Jan 2018, Florence from Trust-IT also left - new persons to help TImea. Ingrid assistant Lisa also contributing to the secretariat until Feb 2018.
        • Lessons learnt from P10 (Montreal) shared with P11 (Berlin) organising committee
        • Coordination exercise - https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-communication-coordination 
        • Communications plan on-going
      • Future plenaries update
        • Plenary 11 - Berlin, Germany 21-23 March 2018 (hosted by the Helmholz Association). : Theme "From Data to Knowledge"
          • Skeleton draft programme (not fixed yet):
            • Monday: RDA Counci, Funders forum, Industry pre-plenary parallel session: Machine-learning hands-on workshop, Real-time data access, Hackathon
            • Tuesday: Industrial plenary and hackathon (in parallel; all day until 16:30). TAB-Chairs meeting 12:30-16:30, RDA for Newcomers: 16:30-18:45. Newcomers cocktail: 19:00-20:30. Women meeting with Beer: 20:30+
            • Wednesday-Friday: Plenary. Has been reduced to 2.5 days, with expected end around noon on Friday. Working on getting a joint OA-TAB lunch on Friday and then OA and TAB debrief meetings (as in Montreal).
          • Call for sessions open.
        • Plenary 12  - 2nd International Data Week (RDA Plenary+SciDataCon from WDS-CODATA), Gaborone, Botswana, 22–26 October 2018.
          • Weekly preparatory meetings with WDS-CODATA. Working on budget, sponsorships, quotation from favourited venue.
        • Plenary 13 - A call for P13 (around March-April 2019) is currently being discussed at the Secretariat. It will go out probably before the end of the year. May be good if P13 can be hosted in USA. 
      • RDA individual membership: Updated statistics. 6280+ members.
      • Action Item updates
        • OM targeted communications - newsletter - template discussed in Montreal
          • Secretariat discussed the idea and the template - will come up with a plan until the end of the year (probably to start next year) - Open action: to make a first draft of the content. Also discussed the layout (whether it will be graphical or a simple (html) e-mail to OA).
    • News from TAB  - 10', Andrew, Lynn
  4. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  5. OAB elections
    • ​​​​​​​OAB members whose terms are ending
      • Amy, Fabrizio, Kevin, Malcolm and Raphael (all can be reelected). Fabrizio and Malcolm won't stand up for re-election.  Amy, Kevin and Raphael will stand up for re-election.
        • A total number of 4 seats available. (Members with one more year to go are Guru, Jason and Juan). OAB=10 members excluding industry reps. 
        • All interested, to send nominations to enquiries@rd-alliance.org. Deadline was end of November (as agreed). Extend? You need to include a brief motivation statement and two seconders from OA (a simple “I second X in his OAB nomination” is enough).
      • Co-chairs term ending: Amy (can be reelected)
    • Update election schedule timeline
  6. OA "Projects"
    • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs - report from OAB sub-group: Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara
      • Initial document
      • Decision from November meeting: To look for a maturity model to assess the adoptability/fitness for use. Will be based on a set of rules/descriptive.
        • Action OAB sub-group Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara to proceed with the maturity model.
    • Policy preview for Council on OM benefits
      • Document presented in Montreal
      • From November meeting: Discussed at the Council meeting in Montreal. Some degree of support, but also dessenting views expressed as to whether or not some of the incentives are realistic. But the answer was that not all benefits are worthwhile for every organisation. Decision: Will proceed on this basis, i.e. not universal benefits, but benefits worthwhile for different organisations.
    • OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisational Member services) )- Raphael-Jason
      • .From November meeting:
        • On the neutrality point raised in Montreal (i.e. if RDA was providing services and treated differently the OMs and its members, then this may had been a problem). Answer: The services will be provided by the OMs (not RDA). So this is not considered a problem.
        • Professional vs. informal services: Are we taking about professional services to customers or more informal helping each other, lowering the barrier to entry for some technologies or services? If professional, then Service Level Agreements (SLAs), Operational Level Agreements (OLAs)...If informal, easier to implement. Both could be in scope. But it may help, if we take one path.
          • Action Jason and Raphael: Update their document and write down some of the above arguments on neutrality and professional vs. informal services, and frame the discussion - Open.
        • Next step: Create  list with the services that can be offered by OA members
          • Action Jason: Create an excel with all OMs and the reps and start from the people we know - Closed
          • Action Fotis: Share a filtered version of the OA tracking database to Rafael and Jason - Closed
          • Excel file by Jason - File
          • Action: Then we ask OA members to fill in contact persons from their organisations and give their consent to contact them.
          • Action Jason: Document the list of available services from all OMs. 
    • OM Hotlist (of current challenges: what issues are we experiencing and where we may require solutions. Possibly also vote and rank them.
      • Not yet started - to be discussed in next meeting.
        • Action Amy to work on the OM Hotlist for the next meeting.
  7. Regular calls plan
    • January call: 3rd Tuesday of January (16 January) around 13:00-14:00 UTC? Otherwise doodle.
  8. Any other business
    • Action Amy: share more info about non-harassment policy in RDA.
  9. Action Items
Responsibility Item description Date created

Status /Date

Secretariat

Incorporate ORCiD into individual RDA profiles: Complete

Incorporate ORCiD into automatic registration of reviews and outputs: On Hold

201612 Open Updated 2017-05
Secretariat

Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

Current state: Open

201612 On-going
Fotis, Raphael

Get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) output. It was presented in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June '17. In better shape in summer. Link: http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/  

Update: 

  • The name "AoK" will disappear during integration in the RDA website (if agreed) 
  • Focus has been given on the content and process aspects and then to improve graphic interface aspects.
    • The current graphic system needs to be updated / replaced. The AoK team has been looking for another graphic system which fulfils the requirements, but this is not easy.
  • Webinar scheduled for Thursday, 9th November 2017, 13:00 CET http://https://www.rd-alliance.org/atlas-knowledge-navigating-rda’s-activities
201700 On-going (see above agenda item)
OA: Industry sub-group

To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

201703 Open
OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in May 201704 Open
OAB: Jason, Raphael

Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). 

Document presented and being discussed (also in Montreal). Clear interest but no consensus on how to do this. Need to converge.

201704

On-going

OA: Fab, Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction models

201704 Open
OAB Chairs, Secretariat

Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements

Fotis: There is already an internal OA(B) tracking database, which can be updated with additional information. Take this off-line with Chairs.

20

 

AttachmentSize
File OM2OM_list.xlsx11.56 KB