Helsinki RDA Organisational Assembly

RDA Organisational Assembly meeting

Tuesday 22 October 2019, 17:00-19:00 local time (14:00-16:00 UTC)
Palaver meeting room, Dipoli conference area, Aalto university (Otakaari 24, 01250 Espoo)

Open to all Organisational and Affiliate Members

Draft minutes

Chair: Amy Nurnberger

  1. Roll call and introduction of new members, Amy, co-Chair, 5'
    • Present: Amy Nurnberger (Chair), Kevin Ashley (co-Chair), Hilary Hanahoe (Secretary General), Francoise Genova (TAB Co-Chair), Tuomas J. Alaterä (IASSIST), Christoph Bruch (Helmholtz), Lisa de Leeuw (DANS), Rebecca Koskela (DataONE), Katrine Segadal (NSD), Kathleen Shearer (COAR), Shelley Stall (AGU), Frankie Stevens (AARNET), Laura Witcoff (RDA US consultant), Nima Babaahmadi (RDA Financial Officer), Bridget Walker (RDA SG Executive Assistant) and Fotis Karayannis (RDA Secretariat-OA Liaison). 
    • Approval to record meeting - approved.
    • Introduction of first-time attendees and recently nominated OA members- 5' - For information
  2. Agenda approval - Call for any other business items - For approval
    • Approved.
  3. Approval of minutes from previous OAB meeting -  For approval
  4. Updates from Secretary General, Council and TAB, 30' - For information
    • Secretary General, Hilary Hanahoe, RDA Status presentation, 15' 
      • Main points: 
        • Membership update: Steady growth of individual members, now over 9200 (nutshell presentation available for reuse) with global coverage (137 countries) and further statistics.67% from reseach/academia. Regional program ongoing. Publishers are one area where industry is active in RDA. How many active: Like a pyramid (on top the active, at the basis observers/following).
        • Organisational membership: 50. Clustering is important as understanding the type of organisation may help us to onboard similar ones. 
          • Two benefits: 1. Job application services exclusive for OA membres 2. Early-bird registration available for OA members until the plenary. 3. Cocktail also for OA and governance bodies (not this time, as too many things in parallel).
          • We are also considering some special events during plenaries to support the OA members in specific areas/topics based on their needs. 
          • Now 9 affiliate members with MoU (mutual benefits for both) without a financial agrement. 
        • Examples of adoption of outcomes (recommendations and supporting outputs) and RDA impact
        • Governance: Now besides the OA/OAB, there will be (is) a Regional Assembly and a Regional Advisory Board. Regional engagement framework for countries to support RDA sustainability. The RDA Foundation (legal entity) now employs Bridget Walker as Secretary General Executive Assistant. 
        • Financial status: We will be publishing a public report on the finances. (Now published at https://www.rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/attachment/rdaf_Financials_1019.pdf). Statistics on funding.
        • Future of secretariat: continue with some members with in-kind contributions from their countries/organisations but also go for a couple of more seats under the RDA Foundation. E.g. support for outputs and adoption. 
      • Question-Comments:
        • Compared to the steady growth of individual members it would be good to understand how the line of organisational membership evolves over time: 
          • Amy: Steady/small growth (some more members coming, a few leaving).
        • It would be good to get data from plenaries with multiple members attending from an organisation and approach these members. 
          • Amy: Yes, have received that data. It would be good to follow-up this at some point.
        •   It is good to have a growth plan for RDA.
    • TAB update, Francoise Genova, 10' - Presentation: https://www.rd-alliance.org/tab-report-oa-22-october-2019-helsinki
      • Main TAB activities since the June 2019  Council meeting
        • It remains for Francoise Genova to prepare a document on "The Work of  RDA" (WG/IGs).
        • TAB elections and co‐chairpersonship
          • Currently 14 TAB members, 15 after this election
          • 4 members whose term expires this year, all after their 1st term –5  slots for election
          • 8 candidates incl. 3 outgoing members
          • Paul Uhlir did not apply again
          • Council decision: Andrew Treloar will replace Paul for his remaining yearas co‐chair before rotating off TAB in due time in September 2020
          •  The other co‐chair will be elected by the new TAB
        • Participation in the Chair Collaboration meeting, Cologne, 26‐28 June
          • This ledto propose to cancel P14 TAB/Chair meeting and to propose the time slot to  the Chairs for a meeting they would organise, to enable them to gather more chairs to discuss the topics they address during the Chair Collaboration meetings. The Chair meeting is held this afternoon. TAB was invited to participate
          • TAB is willing to organise a TAB/Chair meeting in Melbourne
        • Evaluation of new Groups
          • The Secretariat reviewed the existing Group status and a number were moved to ‘Historical Group’ status(13 IGs, 13 WGs)
          • New IGs and WGs continue to be proposed! Since June 2019:
            • Social Dynamics of Data Interoperability IG –Evaluation on‐going
            • Coordinating the Global Open Science Commons IG –EOSC et al. > Revision requested
            • PID Kernel Information Profile Management WG(“stage 2”) > Sent to Council
            • Interoperable Descriptions of Observable Property Terminology WG > Revision requested
            • Research Metadata Schemas WG > Sent to Council
            • Social Sciences Research Data IG (was Social Sciences and Humanities Research Data IG),  revised case statement > Sent to Council
            • Open Science Graphs for FAIR Data IG > Revision requested
            • Research Management in Engineering IG, revised case statement > Sent to Counci
        • Reviewof P14 session proposalsand liaison withthe proposers
          • 43 Group sessions, 8 Joint Meeting sessions, 16 BoF sessions reviewed.
    • Council update: RDA Strategy and current priorities, 10' - OAB co-Chairs
      • Main points
        • Finance subcommittee status (related to RDA sustainability)
          • Kevin: The finance sub-committee is a sub-committee of the Council, setup with the intent to keep a close eye on RDA financials. Challenging as members not involved with the RDA accounting. There are monthly meetings including cashflow status. There is confidence on the actual status of RDA. In the past not that clear. Cleaned up our house. Having got this, we can say that the RDA position is secure for this year, and has some gaps for next year. Some points to keep an eye on and some gaps for the secretariat. The EU follow-up project will have a gap from the current one. A public statement about RDA finances is being prepared with lots of info and what the future will look like. It will take days rather than weeks to be published. Part of this picture is based on the OA subscriptions. There are some organisation not renewing but there are also new ones. We are motivated to continue! The finance committee assumes that we continue.
          • Questions-Comments: 
            • Amy: 27% of the Foundation funding is coming from the OA dues! Important to continue to give and get!
            • Shelley: There are also challenges with the US funding and if there is the report coming this is great!
            • Christoph: It appears that (also looking at the European RDA follow-up call under EOSC-03-2020) RDA is becoming a service provider for EOSC in Europe. Raphael: While the EC and EOSC make references to RDA, if you look in more detail in the text of the next call, it is the “work” of RDA (voluntary WG-IGs), rather than the “business” of RDA (Governance) to be supported. So, in a sense, there is a switch from supporting to exploiting. Kevin: The call may also be able to support (partly?) the business of RDA. It will be closing in April 2020 (tbc) but funding will be available only in the beginning of 2021.
        • Regional engagement status
          • A long conversation on regional engagement inside the Council: how “regions” will engage with RDA. Now we have a country -France- via CNRS (Francoise) joining. Discussions with other countries well-advanced, e.g. Canada. ~ 5 countries are in the loop.
            • Francoise: Yes, French Ministry declared that they will sign the engagement agreement with RDA.
          • Kevin: Diverse sources of funding are important for the future of RDA. E.g. having Organisational members, countries/regions, grants. Multiple streams of funding may be a trouble but are helping sustainability.
        • Other points
          • Financial aspects
          • Council reviewed the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) and whether RDA activities are aligned with these. A lot of discussion in Council. Strong cases for some of the SDG areas.
            • Francoise: There are two sessions about SDGs in this plenary. I encourage you to attend.
          • Uncertainty around Brexit and RDA Foundation is based in the UK. For RDA Foundation to continue to receive funding, RDA Foundation will open an office in Belgium.
          • A variety of Memoranda for regional engagement.
          • RDA Secretariat and population of the RDA secretariat members in tasks
          • Discussed about other groups working in the same area: CODATA, WDS, GoFAIR. And how RDA interacts with these and how they are different. More will be coming from RDA Council and Secretariat.
  5. Organisational Assembly projects
    • a. Plenary pathways https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-plenary-14-pathways
      • Short intro - Co-Chairs/Andrew Treloar
        • TAB and OA are producing this (essentially Andrew being both TAB and OA). Two main changes: each pathway had to have some items under it. But now it is possible that a session belongs to two different pathway headings. And there are a couple of sessions without a pathway.
      • Short feedback from OA members for Helsinki pathways
        • Very good feedback overall. Kevin: Google Analytics showed that there was good use of the pathways.
    • b. RDA Value for different target groups - appearing in the home page
    • c. Categorization/Clustering of Organisations - For decision?
  6. Update from Membership Task Force - Kevin
    • Recap from last meeting
      • The Membership task force reviews how RDA works, along with all its membership and funding streams. It is part of RDA sustainability planning for the future, recognizing that the way we get support will be changing and has already been changing, e.g. funding from plenaries, regions. The TF specifically deals with what it means to be a member of RDA globally, regionally and as organisations. The TF so far has looked in moderls of other bodies and what charges are applied. Now it will be checked how relevant are these for RDA. And move towards recommendations. The TF will offer also an opnioin on Organisational Membership. This is the role of OA and Kevin's role in the TF. Amongst the questions on Individual and Organisational membership is whether we see ourselves as members of a global organisation which can also interact with a region or more local which will interact with the global (which will be a major shift).
      • It may be considered that OA formulates a view on this.
      • Updates since September - Kevin
        • Kevin: Survey will be sent out to a stratified sample. There are diverging opinions on different fees for RDA. The main issue is to come up with an acceptable language and agree on a set of fees. Don’t want to create barriers. As this TF progresses, one area of discussion would be the connection between the OA fees and other fees. But still individual membership fees are not accepted.
        • Amy: Do we want the OA members to make statement on this? Kevin: If the OA has a collective view, then ok. The TF would be happy to get a statement from us. If we can do this in the next month or two, then ok. If yes, probably through a OAB sub-group? Amy: But first is this something that we would like to do? Kevin: Big leap between 2.000 and 10.000 membership fees. Christoph: If you raise the fees then how much. From Helmholtz experience, if you use GDP and other metrics to make some decisions, this may not work (especially if you come up with something 50.000!) Kevin: But we may lower some fees. This was the case with Datacite who lowered the barrier/fees and more orgs joined.
        • Decision: OA sub-group to work on a statement on membership fees (OA and others). The statement can be a short paper with observations and recommendations.   
        • Action on the OAB sub-group: Amy, Shelley, Tuomas. Kevin to review.  Draft by end of the year open for review.
        • Christophe: the governance may need to be reviewed as well. This has been a comment for quite some time!
  7. Next OAB elections - plan - Co-Chair-Fotis
    • The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry.
    • Currently there are 7 members + 1 observer member from Industry (Joost).
    • Members:
      • Amy (also co-Chair), elected in March 2018 (term ending) - Seat for (re-)election
      • Kevin (also co-Chair), elected in March 2019 (term ending in 2021)
      • Juan, after his co-Chairmanship, re-elected in March 2019 (term ending in 2021)
      • Raphael, re-elected in March 2018 (term ending) - Seat for (re-)election
      • Rebecca Koskela, elected in March 2019 (term ending in March 2021)
      • Shelley Stall, elected in March 2019 (term ending in March 2021)
      • Tuomas J. Alaterä, elected in March 2019 (term ending March 2021)
    •  Observer (from Industry)
      • Joost Wagenaar
    • In summary:
      • Active members: 5 (+1 observer from industry)
      • Seats for (re-)election: 2 (including co-chair)
      • 3 seats empty
      • There are also two seats reserved for industry (currently we have only observers).
    • Notes
      • According to the OA process document there is no limit on re-elections.
      • “The OAB co-chair elections are held immediately after the OAB elections with voting by the new OAB members”. The second co-Chair will thus be elected among the new OAB, most probably in Melbourne.
      • Regarding the nomination process:
        •  All members of the Organisational Assembly (OA), which consists of the designated representatives of Organisational Members and Affiliates, are eligible for nomination.
        •  A member may be nominated by another member, or be self-nominated.
        • Next steps: Search committee for new members and nominations timeline
      • The OAB has a very important role within RDA; all organisational representatives are strongly encouraged to consider offering themselves for nomination or to actively promote the nomination of a fellow organisational representative.
    • Decision/Action: All interested members to send their nominations by end of year. First OA meeting in 2020. Members will start their term in Australia. Also a co-chair will have to be elected in Australia.
  8. Next meetings
    • One meeting before or after Christmas break. Doodle.
    •  
  9. AoB
    • Action: Take advantage of the exclusive job posting offer for Organisational Members https://www.rd-alliance.org/node/add/job-alert.
    • Amy on behalf of OA: Would like to thank Francoise as it is her last meeting as TAB co-chair. Thank you!  [All clapping!]
  • Decisions/Actions from September meeting
    • P14 Pathways:
      1. Decision/Action Andrew: Keep the Developing Nations pathway for a couple of more plenaries and re-assess it after that. In the final version do not show the empty sessions.-Closed 
      2. Decision/Action Andrew: Review the pathways by the end of the week, adding "Human/Skills" and possibly "Technical", with the assumption that a session can belong to more than one pathway. Then liaise with Secretariat for publication (another round of comments is not needed) - Closed
    • RDA Membership Task Force
      1. Action Kevin: Send a message to the OA with the news on the Membership Task Force and invite people to comment/discuss - Open - See agenda item 6. - Now closed.
    • TAB nominations
      1. Action: OA members to consider proposing other members from their organisations - Closed 
    • Decision: Early bird registration for P14 available exclusively for OA members until the very end
    • Decision: Job post advertisements in RDA website another exclusive benefit for OA members
    • Decision/Action all OA member: (If you haven’t done already) Fill in the Organisations clustering by the end of September. Action Kevin/Secretariat: Send personal messages to OA members with mail merge. - Open - See agenda item 5c. Now closed
    • EU Open Science event at RDA 14: https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/international-research-data-community-contributing-eosc Registration: https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/eosc-event-rda-p14/registration -Closed.

 

 

RDA Organisational Assembly meeting

Tuesday 22 October 2019, 17:00-19:00 local time (14:00-16:00 UTC)
Palaver meeting room, Dipoli conference area, Aalto university (Otakaari 24, 01250 Espoo)

Open to all Organisational and Affiliate Members

[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Draft agenda (work in progress)

(For remote connection details see more at the bottom)

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509

 

Objectives of the meeting:

The Organisational Assembly (OA) is the main body through which organisations can influence the work of RDA.  The OA is composed of representatives of all RDA Member Organisations (Organisational and Affiliate Members). Organisational membership gives organisations a chance to introduce real problems in data interoperability and to call for those issues to be addressed.  OA membership gives organisations a chance for early access to RDA outcomes and a pre-publication opportunity to review outcomes and provide feedback on their utility. The OA has elected an Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) as its executive committee to represent the OA and liaise with the other governance bodies. Although this session is primarily for the members of the Organisational Assembly, representatives of any organisation interested in RDA to explore organisational membership and to gain a sense of the important work accomplished by the OA can be allowed.  Please contact the co-Chairs and the RDA secretariat at enquiries@rd-alliance.org to join us to learn how your organisation can make a difference and can receive real value through associations with RDA. In this meeting some of the main topics of the meeting besides the reports from the RDA Governance will be OA member clusters, the membership TF,  and the plan for the next OAB elections.

Chair: Amy Nurnberger

  1. Roll call and introduction of new members, Amy, co-Chair, 5'
  2. Agenda approval - Call for any other business items - For approval
    • Note that SG Hilary Hanahoe will be coming at ~18:00 local time from the RDA for newcomers for the SG update
  3. Approval of minutes from previous OAB meeting -  For approval
  4. Updates from Secretary General, Council and TAB, 30' - For information
    • Secretary General, Hilary Hanahoe, RDA Status presentation, 15' (at ~18:00 local time)
    • TAB update, Francoise Genova, 10' https://www.rd-alliance.org/tab-report-oa-22-october-2019-helsinki
    • Council update: RDA Strategy and current priorities, 10' - OAB co-Chairs
      • Updates to also cover:
        • Finance subcommittee status (related to RDA sustainability)
        • Regional engagement status
  5. Organisational Assembly projects
  6. Update from Membership Task Force - Kevin
    • Recap from last meeting
      • The Membership task force reviews how RDA works, along with all its membership and funding streams. It is part of RDA sustainability planning for the future, recognizing that the way we get support will be changing and has already been changing, e.g. funding from plenaries, regions. The TF specifically deals with what it means to be a member of RDA globally, regionally and as organisations. The TF so far has looked in moderls of other bodies and what charges are applied. Now it will be checked how relevant are these for RDA. And move towards recommendations. The TF will offer also an opnioin on Organisational Membership. This is the role of OA and Kevin's role in the TF. Amongst the questions on Individual and Organisational membership is whether we see ourselves as members of a global organisation which can also interact with a region or more local which will interact with the global (which will be a major shift).
      • It may be considered that OA formulates a view on this.
      • Updates since September - Kevin
  7. Next OAB elections - plan - Co-Chair-Fotis
    • The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry.
    • Currently there are 7 members + 1 observer member from Industry (Joost).
    • Members:
      • Amy (also co-Chair), elected in March 2018 (term ending) - Seat for (re-)election
      • Kevin (also co-Chair), elected in March 2019 (term ending in 2021)
      • Juan, after his co-Chairmanship, re-elected in March 2019 (term ending in 2021)
      • Raphael, re-elected in March 2018 (term ending) - Seat for (re-)election
      • Rebecca Koskela, elected in March 2019 (term ending in March 2021)
      • Shelley Stall, elected in March 2019 (term ending in March 2021)
      • Tuomas J. Alaterä, elected in March 2019 (term ending March 2021)
    •  Observer (from Industry)
      • Joost Wagenaar
    • In summary:
      • Active members: 5 (+1 observer from industry)
      • Seats for (re-)election: 2 (including co-chair)
      • 3 seats empty
      • There are also two seats reserved for industry (currently we have only observers).
    • Notes
      • According to the OA process document there is no limit on re-elections.
      • “The OAB co-chair elections are held immediately after the OAB elections with voting by the new OAB members”. The second co-Chair will thus be elected among the new OAB, most probably in Melbourne.
      • Regarding the nomination process:
        •  All members of the Organisational Assembly (OA), which consists of the designated representatives of Organisational Members and Affiliates, are eligible for nomination.
        •  A member may be nominated by another member, or be self-nominated.
        • Next steps: Search committee for new members and nominations timeline
      • The OAB has a very important role within RDA; all organisational representatives are strongly encouraged to consider offering themselves for nomination or to actively promote the nomination of a fellow organisational representative.
  8. Next meetings
    • One more meeting before Christmas break? Doodle?
  9. AoB
  • Decisions/Actions from September meeting
    • P14 Pathways:
      1. Decision/Action Andrew: Keep the Developing Nations pathway for a couple of more plenaries and re-assess it after that. In the final version do not show the empty sessions.-Closed 
      2. Decision/Action Andrew: Review the pathways by the end of the week, adding "Human/Skills" and possibly "Technical", with the assumption that a session can belong to more than one pathway. Then liaise with Secretariat for publication (another round of comments is not needed) - Closed
    • RDA Membership Task Force
      1. Action Kevin: Send a message to the OA with the news on the Membership Task Force and invite people to comment/discuss - Open - See agenda item 6.
    • TAB nominations
      1. Action: OA members to consider proposing other members from their organisations - Closed 
    • Decision: Early bird registration for P14 available exclusively for OA members until the very end
    • Decision: Job post advertisements in RDA website another exclusive benefit for OA members
    • Decision/Action all OA member: (If you haven’t done already) Fill in the Organisations clustering by the end of September. Action Kevin/Secretariat: Send personal messages to OA members with mail merge. - Open - See agenda item 5c.
    • EU Open Science event at RDA 14: https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/international-research-data-community-contributing-eosc Registration: https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/eosc-event-rda-p14/registration -Closed.
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509
 
You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604  Austria: +43 7 2081 5427 Belgium: +32 28 93 7018 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82 Finland: +358 923 17 0568 France: +33 170 950 594 Germany: +49 692 5736 7317 Ireland: +353 15 360 728 Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01 Netherlands: +31 207 941 377 New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302  Norway: +47 21 93 37 51 Spain: +34 932 75 2004  Sweden: +46 853 527 827  Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088 United States: +1 (571) 317-3129
 
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check