Gaborone RDA Organisational Assembly

RDA Organisational Assembly meeting

6 November 2018, 15:45-17:30
San-Ta-Wani Suite- Gaborone International Convention Centre (GICC)

Open to all Organisational and Affiliate Members

[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Draft minutes

  1. Roll call, Amy, co-Chair, 5
    • Present: Amy Nurnberger (Chair), Andrew Treloar (TAB), Christoph Bruch, Eliane Fankhauser (DANS representative), Fran Berman (Council), Frankie Stevens, Hilary Hanahoe (Secretary General), Jan Brase, Jason Haga, Juan Bicarregui, Kevin Ashley (co-Chair), Mark Leggott, Rebecca Koskela, Rob Quick, Ron Dekker, Ross Wilkinson (Council), Shelley Stall,  and Fotis Karayannis (RDA Secretariat-OAB liaison)
    • Remotely connected: Anders Konrad, Raphael Ritz, Stefan Kramer, Tuomas Alaterä
    • Approval to record meeting - Granted.
  2. Introduction of new OA members (that have not been introduced before)- 5'
  3. Call for any other business items
    • None.
  4. Minutes from September meeting,  5'
  5. Introduction to RDA Organisational Assembly OA -(in case there are non-members), Amy Nurnberger, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, RDA OA co-chair, 5’
    • Not relevant
  6. Updates from Secretary General, Council and TAB, 30'
    • Secretary General, Hilary Hanahoe, RDA Status presentation, 10' - SLIDES
      • Hilary Hanahoe presented that RDA State of affairs (see slides) with emphasis on RDA Regional Engagement efforts - Draft document presented in Gaborone. 
        • Hilary: The draft document is to be presented this week and there will be a consultation period with an effort to collect feedback (roughly until the end of the year).  
        • Action Hilary: Share information with the OA about the regional engagement effort consultation and later also on the feedback received
        • Kevin: Need to channel feedback back to the OA and in general follow the feedback and how the regional engagement can effect the OA.
        • Amy: Action OA members engaged in the Regional Task Force:  to act as interfaces and communicate to OAB/OA relevant news and also represent OA interests
    • TAB update, Andrew Treloar, 10'
      • Andrew reported on TAB news:
        • Groups: WG/IG reviews. Extra effort before the plenaries (reviews, etc) so that there is progress with the groups and meetings can be accomodated. 
        • TAB renewal: elections - https://www.rd-alliance.org/2018-rda-tab-election-meet-nominated-candidates. Andrew: This is my last meeting in OA as TAB co-Chair.  
          • Action: Circulate the links about the TAB voting to all members (in the meantime the news items announcement was circulated)- Closed
        • 3+1 more things to highlight in the OA context:
          1. How to make plenary events as useful as possible.
            • Part of that is to keep an eye on the sessions and another part is a paper about an "Unconference" session proposal for P14 to be presented to the Council tomorrow. Unconference: on the fly organising a meeting. 
          2. How to make the outputs of RDA more visible and discoverable.
            • Continue to work with Stefanie (Secretariat) as Director of Operations . 
          3. How to best support the Groups and support the Chairs.
            • Continue to interact with the Chairs quite closely and as part of this there is always a TAB-co-Chairs meeting ahead of every plenary. In this meeting last Sunday, there was an explicit request to make the meeting longer and we will be investigating this.  
          4. "Swimmlanes" (see separate item below). Discuss whether this should be made available only for the OA (as a benefit) or open for all. 
    • Council update: RDA Strategy and current priorities, 10' - Council co-Chairs
      • Update (include RDA Value statements - see also September draft minutes)
        •  Ross reported the main points from the Council in the OA context:
          1. Sustainability - Make sure that the organisation is in good shape after many years after a good start. And make the organisation more professional, more relevant and trusted, providing more value to their members and institutes. A good example is the trusted repositories approach where a seal by a trusted party is appreciated. 
          2. Adoption - Organisations are important for using the bridges that are built and adoption is crucial. That is why the commentaries by the OAB on outputs and new groups on adoptability are very important. 
        • Comments/questions:
          • Consultancy idea: Can RDA play a role of consultant to organisations around best practices in the Research Data Management (RDM)?
            • Ross: Needs to be discussed how to engage in this context.
            • Kevin: To be discussed but cautious not to conflict with the mission of some of our individual organisations
            • Action Co-Chairs-Fotis: Include the RDA consultancy idea (of RDA acting as a consultant to organisations around RDM good practices) in the agenda of the next meeting. And work on some ideas and models that this may work.
  7. Managing the nomination process for OAB - 10'
    • OAB membership and OAB nominations
      • Explanation statement: The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry. Currently there are 6 members + 1 observer member from Industry, so there are at least 4 seats available. It is possible to have an extraordinary call for new members. 
      • Amy: In the past we have had an insuffficient number of nominations, and this can be fixed. 
      • Action: Next OAB to be elected in time for the next plenary so that the new members can make travel plans. 
        • In a question of the value being in OAB vs. OA the following points were raised:
          • Representing the OA towards the Council and other governance boards, including the participation of the co-Chairs in the Council meetings. 
          • Having a voice in the operations of RDA and get to know what is happening in RDA. 
          • Closer connection to the decision-making processes and policies business of RDA
          • Delivering greater value to organisations is also a key point for RDA and OAB members who can contribute in this area are valuable.
          • The more you put in the more you get out! Being in OAB you are incentivised to join the calls every month and when you join you get part of the discussions and get to know more and get out more. RDA can help our organisations and therefore the more involved we are in it, the more likely is the steer towards a direction that will help our organisations.  
        • In the opposite question what held OA members back in nominating for the OAB the main point was
          • Lack of time!
        • Regarding time committment:
          • There are around 10 meetings. Meeting times are rotating to serve all regions, so it is possible to join several meetings (but possibly not all).
          • There are OA project that OAB members may want to contribute
        • Consider the idea of an OAB "test-drive" until the next elections, i.e. around March 2019, co-opting additional members without an election given the empty seats. 
        • Decision: New OAB members:
          • Rebecca Koskela, DataONE, USA
          • Shelley Stall, American Geophysical Union, USA
        • Action Secretariat: Update the OAB page with the new members 
        • Action Mark (Leggott): Reach out to all OA members for nominating for the OAB.  
        • It would be good to think also about OA vs. RA (the Regional Assembly)
          • Up to now haven't yet exploited enough the potential and the agility of the organistaions and the pragmatic path to outcomes that organisations can bring. 
            • It is good to think about the value and impact of the mechanisms that RDA has. And the exercises recently done by the Council around the value of RDA for different types of RDA are important and the same is done or will be done by the different regions in the next phase.
  8. Organisational Assembly "projects" - 20'
    • Tracks of interests for RDA Organisations ("Plenary pathways" or "Swimm lanes") - Andrew Treloar- 10' - Draft document
      • Amy: Whether pathways only for the OA and also provide feedback to TAB about their work and in particular on the document of this plenary which on-going.
        • Whether pathways are only for the OA :
          • Not communicated widely. 
          • Yes, first, we need to decide whether this will be a benefit/priviledge for OA members or open to all.
          • Decision: The Plenary pathways will be open to all RDA members 
          • May want to consider to work also on pathlanes for different types of organisations, e.g. libraries, computing centres.
          • But people are attending, not organisations, so that is why the pathways are developed around the different themes.  
          • Co-Chairs may have different opinions on which path their group belongs to. So they may be consulted after developing the pathways.
        • Feebdack mechanism:
          • Andrew: Need a consensus view from the whole OA with the feedback
          • Stefan: OA to test-drive for this plenary and if useful, open it up to all in the next one.  
          • Action OA(B): Come up with a consensus view from the OA about the pathways and pass the feedback to TAB (in time for the next plenary)
    • Other, 5'
      • Guidelines together with TAB for adoption/fitness for use ( Initial document)
        • There was a BoF around this topic in the last plenary and it would be good to get the material. 
        • We need to decide whether this item is still important for the OA(B).
          • Comments:
            • Yes, adoptability for organisations and people without coming here or spending less time would be appreciated
            • To check this further, we need to have some confidence that this effort will have some effect on the outputs. And we don't have a mechanism to enforce this.
            • The current mechanism contributing to this is to ensure groups include potential adopters as part of the members. 
            • TAB is more on guiding the groups, but does not assess the outputs. 
            • What we want to achieve is more preemptive guidelines, rather than post-hoc assessments.
            • The types of outputs may differ considerably, so having preemptive templates may not work out and it would be better to have a couple of specific adopters part of the group.
            • Marketing may be needed to promote adoption to similar organisations. 
            • Do we have any statistics on how many outputs are adopted and how many not? No, but there is related work at the Secretariat with the new members.
              • Action Secretariat: to consider coming up with some statistics around adoption
              • Action Secretariat: Invite RDA US (Anthony Juehne) to make a presentation in the next meeting on the effort around adoption
            • Adoptable may not be so important compared to adopted!
          •  Action OA(B): Come up with a consensus decision on the adoptability/fitness for use guidelines in the next OAB meeting
  9. Discussion - 15'
    • Challenges/barriers: Lack of RfCs (outputs/new groups) commenting - Amy
      • Work overload is the main problem. 
  10. AoB, 5'
    • Next meeting to be decided off-line.  

 

Original agenda

(For remote connection details see at the bottom)

We cannot guarantee the availability/quality of the remote connection which will depend on the quality of the GICC internet provider connection 

 

Objectives of the meeting:

The Organisational Assembly (OA) is the main body through which organisations can influence the work of RDA.  The OA is composed of representatives of all RDA Member Organisations (Organisational and Affiliate Members). Organisational membership gives organisations a chance to introduce real problems in data interoperability and to call for those issues to be addressed.  OA membership gives organisations a chance for early access to RDA outcomes and a pre-publication opportunity to review outcomes and provide feedback on their utility. Although this session is primarily for the members of the Organisational Assembly, representatives of any organisation interested in RDA to explore organisational membership and to gain a sense of the important work accomplished by the OA can be allowed.  Please contact the co-Chairs and the RDA secretariat at enquiries@rd-alliance.org to join us to learn how your organisation can make a difference and can receive real value through associations with RDA. In this meeting emphasis will be given on tracks of interests for RDA Organisations for RDA groups and plenaries (the so-called "swimmlanes"), the OAB membership and nomination process, and the challenges faced on commenting RfCs (recommendations and new groups).

Chair: Amy Nurnberger

  1. Roll call, Amy, co-Chair, 5
    • Approval to record meeting
  2. Introduction of new OA members (that have not been introduced before)- 5'
  3. Call for any other business items
  4. Minutes from September meeting,  5'
  5. Introduction to RDA Organisational Assembly OA -(in case there are non-members), Amy Nurnberger, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, RDA OA co-chair, 5’
  6. Updates from Secretary General, Council and TAB, 30'
  7. Managing the nomination process for OAB - 10'
    • OAB membership and OAB nominations
      • Explanation statement: The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry. Currently there are 6 members + 1 observer member from Industry, so there are at least 4 seats available. It is possible to have an extraordinary call for new members. 
      • Discussion: what should we do?
  8. Organisational Assembly "projects" - 20'
    • Tracks of interests for RDA Organisations ("Swimm lanes") - Andrew Treloar-Francoise Genova - 10' - Draft document - 
    • Other, 5'
  9. Discussion - 15'
    • Challenges/barriers: Lack of RfCs (outputs/new groups) commenting - Amy
  10. AoB, 5'

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509  

RDA OA(B) meeting
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509
 
You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604  Austria: +43 7 2081 5427 Belgium: +32 28 93 7018 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82 Finland: +358 923 17 0568 France: +33 170 950 594 Germany: +49 692 5736 7317 Ireland: +353 15 360 728 Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01 Netherlands: +31 207 941 377 New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302  Norway: +47 21 93 37 51 Spain: +34 932 75 2004  Sweden: +46 853 527 827  Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088 United States: +1 (571) 317-3129
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

 

 

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 05:45:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 06:45:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 08:45:00 EST UTC-5 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 10:45:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 13:45:00 GMT UTC
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 14:45:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 15:45:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 22:45:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Wednesday, 7 November 2018, 00:45:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington) Wednesday, 7 November 2018, 02:45:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Gaborone (Botswana) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 15:45:00 CAT UTC+2 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 13:45:00