I just noticed a common objectives between the BoF meeting “Improving the FAIRness of scientific data with DCAT-AP “ and the join meeting of IG Metadata, WG Data Type Registries
Both the BoF and the join meeting targets to improve DCAT.
Please see the statement:
I cc ed Vasilis Peristeras (the organizer of the BoF meeting) . I think it will make sense to join forces and discuss together.
The BoF meeting will be on Wednesday at Breakout 3 (16:30- 18:00)
I would like to invite all interested parties to BoF meeting on Wednesday, and also the join meeting can be announced at BoF , so we can have two sessions to discuss together.
- Show quoted text -From: rkoskela=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of rkoskela
Sent: Freitag, 16. März 2018 17:13
To: ***@***.***-groups.org; ***@***.***-groups.org; ***@***.***-groups.org
Subject: [rda-metadata-ig][rda-datacontext-ig][mscwg] Metadata IG Sessions at RDA P11 in Berlin
Here are the Metadata IG sessions at RDA P11 in Berlin. We invite you to participate in these sessions. If you are unable to attend in person, the remote participation information for GoToMeeting is included.
Rebecca Koskela, Keith Jeffery, Alex Ball
Joint Meeting: IG Metadata, IG Data in Context, WG Metadata Standards Catalog
Wednesday March 21 Breakout 2 – 14:30 – 16:00
Room A08 – Remote Participation https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/198036325
1. Present the Metadata Standards Catalog and encourage further submissions;
2. Promote discussion of the proposed metadata element set;
3. Promote discussion and propose a process for
* collecting domain vocabularies;
* matching and mapping vocabularies;
* establishing a canonical vocabulary to assist interoperation by crosswalks to the domain vocabularies;
* contextual metadata used for assessing relevance and quality of the described asset for the purpose of the end-user;
4. Ensure coordination among the metadata groups and representatives of domain (subject area) groups and other infrastructure groups attending.
1. Introduction and purpose
2. Metadata Standards Catalog (20 min)
* Request for further contributions for the Metadata Standards Catalog
3. Metadata element set (10 min)
4. Vocabularies Process (45 min)
* Marine: Helen Glaves (British Geological Survey)
* Social Science: Darren Bell (UKDA)
* Wheat: Windpouire-Esther Dzale-Yeumo (INRA)
* Vocabularies process discussion
5. Closing, pointing to metadata resources on RDA website (10 min)
Joint Meeting: IG Metadata, WG Data Type Registries 1&2
Friday March 23 Breakout 8 – 11:00 – 12:30
Room A01 – Remote Participation https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/630782261
There are currently two efforts underway to work with standards bodies.
A W3C/RDA Collaboration discussion led by Phil Archer was held at the Chairs meeting in Göteborg in June. The purpose of the discussion was (a) to make sure RDA group chairs know of the activity planned for W3C DXWG (Data Exchange Working Group) that plans to improve DCAT in among work on metadata standards for data exchange generally; (b) to encourage participation from RDA group chairs in this activity with the aim of closer cooperation between W3C and RDA. The W3C wishes to improve / enrich DCAT https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/ as one of its recommendations.
The data typing effort that has been part of multiple WGs since the start of RDA was taken up by an ISO working group led by Giridhar Manepalli of CNRI. The part of ISO (the part that looks after metadata) considering it is also the part that looks after ISO 11179, the enormous and well-known to some meta meta standard. At a recently concluded ISO meeting in Denver the decision was taken to start a new series of metadata groups with Data Type Registries as a prominent use case for one of those groups, as yet unnamed. This led to discussion inside this part of ISO about ways to work with RDA and to smooth the path to ISO standardization for those RDA groups and recommendations that wanted to go in that direction, starting with these new metadata groups. The convener of the relevant ISO group is asking for advice on how to do this.
Is RDA, as a voluntary community-driven and-consensus based organization, the right forum to push for non-proprietary open standards?
1. Introduction and purpose
2. Metadata IG work with W3C
3. DTR WG work with ISO
5. Summary of discussion
6. Next steps
Executive Director, DataONE
University of New Mexico
1312 Basehart SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106
Cell: (505) 382-0890
Fax: (505) 246-6007
RE: [rda-metadata-ig][rda-datacontext-ig][mscwg] Metadata IG Sessions at RDA P11 in Berlin
You are here