Data Fabric IG

IG

Group details

Case Statement: 
IG Established
 

The Data Fabric IG (DFIG) identified that working with data in the many scientific labs and most probably also in other areas such as industry and governance is highly inefficient and too costly. Excellent scientists working on date intensive science tasks are forced to spend about 75% of their time to manage, find, combine and curate data. What a waste of time and capacity. The DFIG is therefore looking at the data creation and consumption cycle to identify opportunities to optimize the work with data, to place current RDA activities in the overall landscape, to look what other rcommunities are doing in this area and to foster testing and adoption of RDA outputs. The goal of DFIG finally is to identify common components and define their characteristics and services that can be used across boundaries in such a way that they can be combined to solve a variety of data scenarios such as replicating data in federations, developing virtual research environments, and automating regular data management tasks. Much important work is being done on data publishing and citation, but DFIG believes that we need to start at early moments in the "Data Fabrics" in the labs to organize, document and manage data professionally if we want to meet the requirements of the coming decades.

  

DFIG is focusing on the data creation and consumption cycle as it happens daily in the scientific and industrial labs and on the identification of ways to make this work more efficiently and thus more cost-effective.

DFIG's goal is to identify common components and define their characteristics and services that can be used across boundaries in such a way that they can be combined to solve a variety of data scenarios.

Throughout its existence, DFIG has shepherded multiple spin-off groups into existence, dealing with specific aspects of the cycle and components involved, particularly regarding Persistent Idenfiers (PIDs), their relevance and applicability to address data referencing and management issues. These efforts have brought forth a new understanding which is summarized in an overview document here.

The group is currently reassessing the overall landscape in trying to identify the next challenges, components or other work areas of interest. An overview is contained in The Future Trends for the Data Fabric.


File Attachment: 

Recent Activity

09 Oct 2019

P14 Session Chair Update

In preparation for Plenary 14 in Helsinki, please refer to the information presented below pertaining to your breakout sessions.

 

Remote Participation

  • Remote participation will be available in each meeting room through GoToMeeting, which will be running from the laptop provided by the University. By just opening your presentation on this laptop, remote attendees will be able to view your slides and hear you speak.

09 Oct 2019

CODATA Data Science Journal Call For Papers: Research Data Alliance Results Special Collection

Dear members,

I’m writing on behalf of the editorial board of the CODATA Data Science Journal. I would like to recall the possibility to submit the outputs produced by this group for the special collection of CODATA DSJ on RDA Results. Publication fees will be covered by the EC project "RDA Europe 4.0".

 

07 Oct 2019

DO Workshop at P14

Dear colleagues,
We are a bit late with our preparations for the Digital Objects side meeting at the RDA plenary in Helsinki, but here is our tentative agenda.
As in Philadelphia we see this side meeting as an opportunity to discuss progress and plans with respect to Digital Objects and to better understand what is available and what is missing. One aspect which changed during the last months is the conviction that we need to extend the DO concept to FAIR Digital Objects to meet the evolving requirements of FAIR Maturity Indicators.

04 Sep 2019

RDA website unavailable due to maintenance on 4 and 5 September 2019

Dear RDA members,

 

The following message is to inform you that RDA website is scheduled for a technical maintenance from today 4 September at 10:00 UTC until tomorrow 5 September at 10:00 UTC.

Messages sent to RDA Group mailing lists may not be delivered during the maintenance period.

 

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

 

RDA Team

24 Jun 2019

Plenary 14 Session Submission Deadline Is Thursday!

With Plenary 14 (P14) scheduled to occur from October 23-25, the deadline for session submission is this Thursday, 27 June at 16:00 UTC.

Submissions for meeting sessions are open to working groups, interest groups, joint groups and birds of feather (BoF) meetings.

Please note, however, submissions are accepted from group chairs only. If you submit a session request for a group, please notify the other chairs of that group.

14 Jun 2019

Follow-up WG on Data Type Registries

Dear colleagues,
governance and interoperability between DTRs  is a still open issue in a
digital object ecosystem and in the DTR session at RDA P13 there was an
agreement that these topics should be the main concern of a third round
of the DTR WG in RDA.
Larry Lannom and myself have drafted therefore a case statement, which
we would like to submit to RDA to establish a follow-up WG.
We would like to encourage you to comment on the case statement and join
as supporter.

05 Jun 2019

Follow-up WG on PID Kernel Information Profiles

Dear colleagues,
the discussions at the PID Kernel Information session at the RDA P13
indicated that there is more work to be done to further define PID
Kernel Information profiles, mechanisms to manage and govern them, and
further build the technical connections to related essential components,
notably a profile registry that can be built potentially on top of the
Data Type Registry.
Therefore, we (myself, Beth Plale and Jens Klump) have drafted a new
case statement, which we would like to submit to RDA to establish a