Notes from the "Best Practices" meetings (Dec. 2016 - April 2017)

Work-in-progress documents:

------- Meeting of 14 March 2017 (4th meeting) --------

Date: 14 March 2017

Natalia Atkins, IMOS (NA)
Anita de Waard, Elsevier (AdW)
Siri Jodha Khalsa, NSIDC (SJK)
Mingfang Wu, ANDS (MFW)

Actions from last meeting:

  • Data Provider:

    • Consolidate the document, add more references (WM, NA) - NA has merged her notes into Bill’s.

    • Ask a couple of data providers to comment on the document (MFW) - Done. Contacted people were asked to put their comments in before the RDA P9, they are happy to help.  

  • Data Repository:

    • Enrich the document with examples from repositories  (MFW)

      • MFW has elaborated most of dot points and added examples, will try to finish the rest by end of this week.

    • Review and comment on the document (Siri and WM)

  • Data Seeker:

    • Reach out to librarians and ask them to either be involved or comment on the document (WM and ALL)

      • Will continue to follow this up.

Discussion Notes:

Data Providers:

  • Bill and Natalia have combined the two lists. The document is in good shape.

  • AdW suggests to add an introduction section and put some notes into a discussion section.
    Action: NA will edit the document to incorporate AdW’s suggestion.  

Data Repository:

  • NA suggested to discuss the role of vocabulary for facet filtering and browsing.
    Action: MFW will incorporate this suggestion into the corresponding dot point.

  • IMOS may have useage and collection stats from its repository.

Action: NA will provide screenshots of stats examples to MFW - Done


Data Seeker

  • We still have the question from last meeting: Who would use this and when? Answer could be fresh graduates and librarians who provide research skill training to early career researchers on how to find research data.  

  • One of ANDS 23 things - Data Discovery may have material for this subtask.

  • SJK asked questions “What does a LOD enable earch look like to a user” and “how to search data in deep web”, then recommended this should go to the BP for repositories.  


  • Bill will try to reach out to people from a RDA interest group “Libraries for Research Data” IG.

  • SJK will try to reach out data librarians from his workplace to comment on the document.  

  • MFW will look at the ANDS 23 things for relevant material.


General discussion:

  • For  informing other RDA IGs about the three best practices before the P9 and get their feedback, MFW will write a short overarching introduction with links to each best practice.

  • There will be no meeting for this task force before the P9, but a joint meeting with all three task forces.

Action: MFW is going to send a doodle poll. - Done

------- Meeting of 14 Feb. 2017 (3rd meeting) --------

William Michener, UNM (WM)
Anita de Waard, Elsevier (AdW)
Siri Jodha Khalsa, NSIDC (SJK)
Mingfang Wu, ANDS (MFW)

Notes Posted to:

------- Notes from the meeting on  Jan. 17/18 2017 (2nd Meeting) --------

Date:  Jan. 17/18,  2017


Anita de Waard, Elsevier (AdW)
Mingfang Wu, ANDS (MFW)
Natalia Atkins, AODN (NA)
Siri Jodha Khalsa, NSIDC (SJK)
William Michener, UNM (WM)


  • Data repository/aggregator: Generalise the note/paper (MFW & MF)
  • Data seeker: Look at list of aggregators for any search principals to data seekers. (SJK & MFW)
  • Data provider: Combine the two lists. (NA & WM)
  • Invite a FAIR author to contribute to the activities here. (AdW)
  • Anita & Siri talk to Andrew Treloar about expected output from this task force (AdW & SJK)

Next meeting will be in four weeks (Feb. 14/15), we will map path to the 9th Plenary in Barcelona


Review actions from last meeting:

  • Data seeker
    • Work from use cases may be a good source for this sub-task
  • Data provider
    • Combine two lists into one
    • May need to adapt language from the FAIR principal to researchers
  • Data service repository
    • Need to be generalised

Discussion: single paper of all the three aspects versus a paper per aspect.

------- Notes from the meeting on  Dec. 20/21, 2016 (1st meeting) -----------

Dear All,
Please find attached the notes of our first meeting for the Topic A: Best Practice for Data Discovery. The Notes is also available from this Google Doc.
In summary, we agreed to have an initial investigation of current best practice for data discovery from the following three aspects:

There are leads for each aspect, however your contribution is greatly appreciated.
Information about the next meeting is as follow. I will send calendar invite as well.
Wish you all a wonderful break over the festive season!
Anita, Bill, Jeff, Martin, Siri and Ming
Next meeting, Tuesday 17/18 January 2017 (it will then repeat every 4 weeks until the next plenary in April)
Albuquerque (USA - New Mexico)Tuesday,17 January 2017 at 1:00:00 pm MST UTC-7 hours
San Diego (USA - California)Tuesday, 17 January 2017 at 12:00:00 pm PST UTC-8 hours
New York (USA - New York)Tuesday,17 January 2017 at 3:00:00 pm EST UTC-5 hours
Berlin (Germany - Berlin)Tuesday, 17 January 2017 at 9:00:00 pm CET UTC+1 hour
Melbourne (Australia - Victoria)Wednesday,18 January 2017 at 7:00:00 am AEDT UTC+11 hours
The meeting will be via Zoom teleconference. Here is the information how to join the meeting:
Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device: Or, go to and enter meeting ID: 215 821 956
Join from a dial-in phone:
Dial: +61 3 99059666 <+61%203%209905%209666> (+61 3 9905 ZOOM) or +61 2 8015 2088 <+61%202%208015%202088>
Toll-free dial: +61 18 0079 2488 (US/Canada only)
Meeting ID: 215 821 956
International numbers available:
Join from a Video capable room system(H.323/SIP):
Dial: 61262227588 (From within Monash only) or: ***@***.*** (H323) or ***@***.*** (SIP) or or
Meeting ID: 215 821 956