The concept of "Agrisemantics" was born after the 2015 "Improving Semantics in Agriculture" workshop in Rome. Since then, "Agrisemantics" has emerged as a sort of brand to denote respectively an RDA working group, a wide community of interest, or something more concrete and actionable to be defined.
With the first deliverable of the RDA working group, we give an overview of the use of semantics in the production, exchange and use of agricultural data: mainly a rich but fragmented landscape. The consensus is that "Agrisemantics aims at improving the discoverability and semantic interoperability of agricultural information and data for the benefit of researchers, policy-makers, and farmers" (Baker et al.).
We are now defining the vision of what Agrisemantics should be and what it should provide to the community working / willing to work on / with semantics in the fields of agriculture and food.
This is why we kindly invite you to contribute to this clarification work by answering some or all of the following questions either during the IGAD pre-meeting Agrisemantics session on Monday morning in Montréal or by email (answers received by Sunday evening will serve as input for the session). Each of your answers will foster a common vision of the future Agrisemantics.
According to you,
1. What should be the mission of Agrisemantics?
1. What should Agrisemantics deliver? Services, resources, recommendations, events, standards, best practices, cookbooks...
1. Which agriculture and related domains do you expect Agrisemantics to cover?
1. Who will be the main direct beneficiaries of Agrisemantics?
1. List the 3 to 5 flagship components of Agrisemantics
1. What will be the form of Agrisemantics in 5 years? Community, e-infrastructure, organisation, task force, agency, public, private, distributed,...
1. Additional comments?
We warmly thank you for your contribution. Also feel free to forward to anyone who may be interested.
We look forward to meeting some of you in a few days and start discussing this.
Sophie for the chairs
How do you see the future of Agrisemantics? Give your opinion!
You are here