Formerly an Earth Sciences Publisher, Fiona attended the First RDA Plenary, helping set up the WDS-RDA Data Publishing Interest Group. Since then, she has been an active member, and sometimes Co-Chair, of a number RDA Working and Interest Groups. Now a scholarly communications consultant, Fiona is Secretary of the Dryad Data Repository Board, Editorial Board Member of Data Science Journal and Steering Committee Member for the FORCE11 Scholarly Communications Institute (FSCI). She regularly presents, writes and tweets about Open Science and Open Data and organizes workshops and conference sessions around RDA-aligned topics, such as PIDs, data sharing, and data policy.
Fiona advises on Open Science and innovations in scholarly communication. As such, her interests are closely aligned with RDA’s. She has written and delivered presentations, podcasts and courses on a range of Open Access, Open Science, and research data management topics.
Her ambassadorial work focuses on:
- Extending awareness of open data and membership of RDA amongst publishers, librarians, repositories/repository managers.
- Improving data publishing understanding, awareness and uptake, harmonising awareness, mutual understanding, and policies amongst funders and other stakeholders
- Bringing learned societies into the conversation (= domain leaders, journal editors, funding reviewers, etc)
- Presenting to publisher convened learned society meetings
- Contributions to publisher/library/repository conferences Delivering a programme of blog posts, articles and other updates with RDA colleaguesExtending possibilities for partnerships and other related projects to understand and align with RDA objectives
- Contributions to the Open Research mentoring programme for Early Career Researchers
- Contributing to an RDA-aligned course at the FORCE11 Scholarly Communication Institute Impact & build a lasting resource recording activities, expertise and learning that can also be repurposed
- Interview: Open research and data sharing: Are we hearing what researchers are telling us?
- RDA for Scholarly Communication - discipline page highlighting the recent developments in scholarly communication and related research data management challenges and the RDA efforts related to this domain
- The STM Association and Center for Open Science Research Data Workshop - report https://doi.org/10.17605/OSF.IO/KWT6Y
WORKING WITH THE RDA GROUPS
supporting engagement, data solutions development and adoption and working with the STM Association on their Year of Research Data project which includes a number of RDA groups and outputs
Exposing Data Management Plans WG (role co-chair)
Contribution to the group coordination, activities and outputs