Data Discovery Paradigms IG: Reports from Task Forces and Way Ahead (Remote Access Instructions)
Collaborative session notes:
Short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group
The objective of this IG are to provide a forum where representatives from across the spectrum of stakeholders and roles pertaining to data search can work together to identify, study and make recommendations concerning issues related to improving data discovery. The goal is to produce concrete deliverables that will be recognized and valued by the research community.
This IG identified 4 topics that were the focus of the group’s initial efforts:
- Best practices for making data findable
- Relevancy ranking
- Use cases, prototyping tools and test collections
- Metadata enrichment
Task forces formed around the first 3 topics started after RDA P8, while the last task force, Metadata Enrichment, began work after RDA P9. All task forces actively explored their topics and reported progress as well as preliminary outputs at RDA P10.
At RDA P11, three of the task forces (i.e. the Best practices for making data findable, Relevancy ranking and Use cases, prototyping tools and test collection TFs) will be officially ending, will present documents as supporting outputs.
The P11 session will focus on starting a number of new task forces. Potential ideas include:
- Cataloging and Analysing Common Data Discovery APIs
- Data Discovery for Institutional Repositories
- Analysis of Search logs
- Collection and Analysis of Data Needs
- Making research data more discoverable by search engines
- Granularity, domain-specific cross-domain issues
- De-duplication of search results
- Using upper-level ontologies
- Search personalisation
Please join us (in person, or remotely) if you are interested in any of these topics.
If you are interested in helping to lead any of these task forces, or have other ideas for TFs to start, please contact the IG Chairs.
Additional links to informative material related to the group
Group web page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/data-discovery-paradigms-ig, where links to pages for each of the Task Forces (including the documents produced in each case) can be found.
Our case statement can be found here: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/new-paradigms-data-discovery-ig/case-s...
The objectives of the meeting are:
- To inform all members and interested parties of progress made regarding Data Discovery
- To present the supporting outputs of the three ending task forces
- To identify and start new Task Forces, and attract volunteers to lead these efforts
- To discuss progress, next steps and potential overlap in activities within the IG and with other IG/WGs
1. Short introduction of the group’s goals and progress (always important to inform new RDA members/session attendees)
2. Communicate output of the three closing TFs
3. Report on progress/discuss current activities from the metadata enrichment TF
4. Discussion on new Task Forces
5. Discussion to identify gaps, overlaps and coordination with other RDA WG/IGs.
6. Summary of results and next steps
- set timeline for starting new Task Forces
- connection with existing WG/IG through collaborative Task Forces
Members of the DDPIG and those who are interested in joining.
In particular, Data Repository Managers and Developers; funders, librarians, publishers and researchers interested in improving data discoverability; infrastructure and Big Data developers and researchers interested in discussing and solving issues concerning Findability of data.
Please sign up to join the IG before, during or after the meeting to stay informed of efforts of this group
Group chair serving as contact person: Fotis Psomopoulos
Type of meeting: Working meeting
Remote Access Instructions:
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
Access Code: 630-782-261
Australia: +61 2 9091 7603
Austria: +43 1 2060 92964
Belgium: +32 28 93 7002
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9373
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 69
Finland: +358 923 17 0556
France: +33 170 950 590
Germany: +49 693 8098 999
Ireland: +353 15 621 583
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80
Netherlands: +31 207 941 375
New Zealand: +64 9 282 9510
Norway: +47 21 93 37 37
Spain: +34 932 75 1230
Sweden: +46 853 527 818
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 60
United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5011
United States: +1 (571) 317-3116
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check