Draft minutes from July OAB call

17 Jul 2016
Groups audience: 

Dear all,
Please find the draft minutes from the Friday call for your comments.
https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/wiki/oab-july-...
The next meeting will take place at the end of August (after the 25th). I will circulate a doodle asap. It will be far-east - US coast friendly (something like 22-23 UTC or even 00 UTC). We will discuss with the co-chairs on Tuesday and circulate the doodle probably after this.
Kind regards,
Fotis
---
Fotis Karayannis, Dr. Eng.
RDA secretariat-OAB liaison
ATHENA Research Center
Phone: +30 211 1206 431
Mobile: +30 6945 878784
Skype: fotis71
Twitter: fkarayan

  • Jamie Shiers's picture

    Author: Jamie Shiers

    Date: 19 Jul, 2016

    Dear all,
    I have a couple of comments on the minutes (of this meeting that I was unable to attend):
    * Re. policy: RDA is not a policy body. But in the funders forum, there is interest in policy implementation discussions. Juan: I agree. An example is around Data Management Plans (DMPs). In Europe there is now a policy that all EC-funded project should have DMPs. And would welcome input from RDA on what form these plans will look like.
    As you may know, there was a ADMP workshop held at CERN recently. The agenda, presentations, videos and summary are all available here: https://indico.cern.ch/event/520120/
    About as many people attended remotely (although not for the full event) as physically and at least on this occasion things went well.
    There will be a number of follow-up events / actions.
    Adoption, Endorsement and Maintenance of RDA Recommendations - The role of OA(B): Expert Commentary and Adoptability - Updates and thoughts - Amy Nurnberger, Malcolm Wolski, Mark Parsons, all - 20'
    * Juan:
    * Summary from May: Consensus for OAB to provide "expert commentary" on RDA outputs with emphasis on adoptability.
    * Open action: Jamie, Malcolm, Raphael and Fotis to work further on the process and the template based on the comments raised (see below). Fotis?
    I feel that we are in danger of over-specifying things here (a concern I have already raised).
    Can’t we keep it simple?
    Cheers, Jamie
    On 18 Jul 2016, at 01:01, fkara2 <***@***.***-innovation.gr> wrote:
    Dear all,
    Please find the draft minutes from the Friday call for your comments.
    https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/wiki/oab-july-...
    The next meeting will take place at the end of August (after the 25th). I will circulate a doodle asap. It will be far-east - US coast friendly (something like 22-23 UTC or even 00 UTC). We will discuss with the co-chairs on Tuesday and circulate the doodle probably after this.
    Kind regards,
    Fotis
    ---
    Fotis Karayannis, Dr. Eng.
    RDA secretariat-OAB liaison
    ATHENA Research Center
    Phone: +30 211 1206 431
    Mobile: +30 6945 878784
    Skype: fotis71
    Twitter: fkarayan
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/draft-min...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/53160

  • David Baker's picture

    Author: David Baker

    Date: 19 Jul, 2016

    Hi all - on the subject of 'what a DMP looks like" a CASRAI-UK Working
    Group produce a draft standard information agreement for what a DMP would
    need to support ethics review:
    - http://dictionary.casrai.org/DMP_Ethics_Review
    I am sure CASRAI-UK would like to collaborate with any RDA efforts to
    capture of use cases for DMPs and build on the work of both orgs.
    D

  • Amy Nurnberger's picture

    Author: Amy Nurnberger

    Date: 22 Jul, 2016

    Hi, Jamie,
    Thank you for your thoughts on how OA members might leverage their value by
    providing commentary on RDA outputs. I agree with your sentiments to keep
    it simple.
    If you have recommendations on how to make the process both simple and
    effective, please forward them.
    Up to this point the process has been simple but ineffective, taking the
    form that OA members are invited to submit their comments during the
    outputs' community review period. Few have actively accepted this
    invitation.
    The hope is that by sending targeted invitations to those OA members who
    have a personal expertise or organisational interest in the output open for
    comment, there will be a higher response rate.
    Thoughts on the process, form and content of these commentaries are welcome
    as we consider together how both OA members' and RDA's interests are best
    served in this process.
    Best,
    Amy, Co-Chair RDA OAB
    _________________________________
    Amy Nurnberger, Research Data Manager
    Center for Digital Research and Scholarship
    Columbia University / 212.851.2827
    E-mail: ***@***.*** <***@***.***>
    ORCID: 0000-0002-5931-072X
    Twitter: @DataAtCU

  • Amy Nurnberger's picture

    Author: Amy Nurnberger

    Date: 22 Jul, 2016

    Dear David and Jamie,
    Your thoughts on the specific question of DMPs as an example of policy
    implementation seem to be the start of WG coming out of the "Active DMP"
    IG!
    This could be an interesting thing, especially taking into account the work
    that DCC & CDL are currently doing on their codebase to combine their
    online DMP tools into one.
    I'm definitely interested in what might happen next with this.
    Best,
    Amy (just as Amy, not as Amy Co-chair)
    _________________________________
    Amy Nurnberger, Research Data Manager
    Center for Digital Research and Scholarship
    Columbia University / 212.851.2827
    E-mail: ***@***.*** <***@***.***>
    ORCID: 0000-0002-5931-072X
    Twitter: @DataAtCU
    On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 9:28 AM, ***@***.*** <***@***.***>
    wrote:

submit a comment