Notes from 2014-05-21 Webconference

21 May 2014
Groups audience: 

Present: Bridget Almas, Sayeed Choudhury, Keith Jefferey, Alessandro Spinuso, MingFang Wu

Discussion Items:

Targeted cross group activities:

  • Metadata Standards Directory WG: Adding provenance standards and use cases to the Metadata Registry
  • DFT WF: Adding provenance terminology to the DFT Registry
  • Data in Context: supply use cases, particular with an eye towards contextual metadata requirements (e.g. metadata related to publication, funding, ownership, etc. CERIF provides a model for this type of metadata and DICIG members are working on a mapping to PROV-O but more use cases for provenance are needed to provide a generalizable solution)
  • Brokering IG: discuss possibilities for participating in pending WG proposal to include implementation of a generalizable model for Provenance data in the brokering context.
  • Other: join with Metadata IG, MSDWG and Data In Context to support and and lead proposed P4 metadata roundtable discussion among IG/WG chairs

Other notes:

  • Metadata WG and DICIG expect to have a template use cases collection form available that other RDA groups can use within the next week or so.

Action Items:

  • Student interns will work (with mentors) on adding standards and use cases to MASDIR, terminology to DFT, and use cases to DICIG
  • MingFang and ANDS project group will contribute use cases for provenance from projects getting under way there
  • Keith will resend email to TAB about P4 joint metadata session, adding Provenance to the effort
  • Bridget will follow-up with Brokering chairs about their WG proposal
  • All group members: submit info on standards and use cases for the summer interns to consider in their work
  • Mingfang Wu's picture

    Author: Mingfang Wu

    Date: 06 Jun, 2014

    Hi Bridget,
    Is this use case collection form ready?
    Our local data provenance group is ready to collect and record use cases.
    Instead of using our own, we may use this form to avoid double entries.
    Also when is the next interest group meeting? I am thinking if people have
    questions about the form, perhaps they can discuss them in the next
    meeting.
    Thanks and regards,
    Mingfang

  • Keith Jeffery's picture

    Author: Keith Jeffery

    Date: 06 Jun, 2014

    Mingfang –
    We have a draft template from DICIG (Data in Context). Rebecca and I have been working on combining this draft with the work of Alistair Cockburn and with more detail on the actual metadata elements required for the use case to work; we’ll get back to you very soon
    Best
    Keith
    Keith G Jeffery Consultants
    Prof Keith G Jeffery
    E: ***@***.***
    T: +44 7768 446088
    S: keithgjeffery
    Past President ERCIM www.ercim.eu (***@***.***)
    Past President euroCRIS www.eurocris.org
    Past Vice President VLDB www.vldb.org
    Fellow (CITP, CEng) BCS www.bcs.org
    Co-chair RDA MIG https://rd-alliance.org/internal-groups/metadata-ig.html
    Co-chair RDA MSDWG https://rd-alliance.org/working-groups/metadata-standards-directory-work...
    Co-chair RDA DICIG https://rd-alliance.org/internal-groups/data-context-ig.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The contents of this email are sent in confidence for the use of the
    intended recipient only. If you are not one of the intended
    recipients do not take action on it or show it to anyone else, but
    return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: mingfang.wu=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of mingfang
    Sent: 06 June 2014 02:01
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-researchdataprov-ig] Notes from 2014-05-21 Webconference
    Hi Bridget,
    Is this use case collection form ready?
    Our local data provenance group is ready to collect and record use cases. Instead of using our own, we may use this form to avoid double entries. Also when is the next interest group meeting? I am thinking if people have questions about the form, perhaps they can discuss them in the next meeting.
    Thanks and regards,
    Mingfang
    - Show quoted text -On 22 May 2014 06:26, balmas <***@***.***> wrote:
    Present: Bridget Almas, Sayeed Choudhury, Keith Jefferey, Alessandro Spinuso, MingFang Wu
    Discussion Items:
    Targeted cross group activities:
    * Metadata Standards Directory WG: Adding provenance standards and use cases to the Metadata Registry
    * DFT WF: Adding provenance terminology to the DFT Registry
    * Data in Context: supply use cases, particular with an eye towards contextual metadata requirements (e.g. metadata related to publication, funding, ownership, etc. CERIF provides a model for this type of metadata and DICIG members are working on a mapping to PROV-O but more use cases for provenance are needed to provide a generalizable solution)
    * Brokering IG: discuss possibilities for participating in pending WG proposal to include implementation of a generalizable model for Provenance data in the brokering context.
    * Other: join with Metadata IG, MSDWG and Data In Context to support and and lead proposed P4 metadata roundtable discussion among IG/WG chairs
    Other notes:
    * Metadata WG and DICIG expect to have a template use cases collection form available that other RDA groups can use within the next week or so.
    Action Items:
    * Student interns will work (with mentors) on adding standards and use cases to MASDIR, terminology to DFT, and use cases to DICIG
    * MingFang and ANDS project group will contribute use cases for provenance from projects getting under way there
    * Keith will resend email to TAB about P4 joint metadata session, adding Provenance to the effort
    * Bridget will follow-up with Brokering chairs about their WG proposal
    * All group members: submit info on standards and use cases for the summer interns to consider in their work
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/notes-2014-05-21-webconference.html
    Manage my subscriptions: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/16120
    --
    Dr. Mingfang Wu
    Senior Business Analyst
    Australian National Data Service
    P: +61(0)3 9902 4646
    E: ***@***.***
    W: www.ands.org.au
    Physical Address: Level 6, Building F, Monash Caulfield VIC 3145 AUSTRALIA
    Postal Address: c/o Monash University, PO Box 197, Caulfield East, VIC 3145 AUSTRALIA

  • Bridget Almas's picture

    Author: Bridget Almas

    Date: 11 Jun, 2014

    Hi Mingfang,
    Thanks for checking in -- I see that Keith has responded that the use
    case form is almost ready.
    For the next meeting I will schedule a doodle poll to see when people
    are available and post to the list shortly.
    Best

submit a comment