The research landscape - like other sectors - is undergoing constant, but increasingly faster transformations. We see certain trends emerging, data taking on an increasingly central role in all disciplines, we see data from different disciplines increasingly being integrated, R&D becoming way more interdisciplinary than what we were used to see 10-20 years ago. This will have impact on what we discuss and design right now.
Having discussed this idea at the RDA Plenary in Helsinki we feel there would be room for a yet to be more precisely identified WG (or IG) or focused activity engaging with researchers from the broad set of domains present in RDA to extract some visions on how research will be in 5-25 years, and what the effect and impact on research environments (infrastructures, services, policies, ...) will be.
Potential goals for the envisaged WG (IG) include:
- Identifying needs / painpoints researchers and RIs are facing wrt. the evolving, increasingly interdisciplinary scientific landscape undergoing the digital transformation with a specific focus on the needs of different domains
- Understand which servies or policies to develop, solutions to provide, and how to integrate them
- Understand, specifically, also tacit aspects and requirements such as e.g. reproducibility, explainability, bias, relevance, applicability, FAIRness that are valid across all disciplines, but hard to address by individual reserachers
- Identify which existing RDA outputs may contribute to addressing these needs and how to structurally feed / integrate / adopt / deploy them in(to) the emerging research environments
- Provide a basis for decision makers, industry and research infrastructures on which priorities to set
Thus, the goal of this BOF Session is to
- Collate the input received at P15 in Helsinki as well as of two workshops held in January and February
- Identify the concrete goals for a WG (or IG) to extract and condense these issues as input to strategic development of RIs and the research landscape
- Devise an action plan on how to move this idea forward, identify roles, responsibilities, actions and interests