BoF meeting title
Big Data: How data science can be serving the public interest
Collaborative session notes:
Short introduction describing the scope of the group and if any previous activities
The BoF Session will try to examine the following questions:
- How can cities use their data intelligently, in using analytics such as machine learning and predictive analytics, to improve program management, planning, and decision-making?
- How can cities share their data with the public through open data platforms to make public operations more transparent and accountable and to enable idea crowdsourcing?
- How can cities visualize their data in a citizen-friendly way, such as through a performance dashboard or open budget platform to foster greater public understanding of public policies and service outcomes?
- How can cities collaborate with other cities, academia, and public or private organizations while implementing their Big Data strategies?
Additional links to informative material related to the group
Literature about Big Data and Data Science.
- To provide a broad overview of the key developments, trends, issues, and concerns for the set of objectives enumerated above.
- To highlight the nature and significance of Big Data economic opportunities.
- To identify the potential for future jobs (as a by-product for future Big Data advances) and other challenges in realizing economic benefits.
- To discuss best cases from abroad and their impact on city government and policymaking.
- To analyze the benefits of creating and maintaining urban Big Data ecosystems regarding improvements in transportation, infrastructure, public health, and public services planning
- Brief introduction
- Speakers present their work
- Next steps
Academics, industry, entrepreneurs, city and government officials.
Participants can learn that these new approaches are not simply data, but data that are viewed as an asset, and analyzed and used to make decisions about the optimal allocation of resources to achieve significant individual and societal goals.
Group chair serving as contact person: George Dimitriou
Type of meeting: Informative meeting